HybridZ
rudypoochris

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

What would you prefer?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

Guest coyboy510   
Guest coyboy510

Well...I have decided to bite the bullet and order 1 set of the 17" RBs from 18 Racing for my "STOCK" Z setup(no coilovers). However, I haven't decided if I want to go with 17x7.5 or 17x8.5. Here is where I'd like some input from you folks. Im 100% confident that the 17x7.5 will fit due to past experiences. Except, I'd like to get the 17x8.5 if I could but i am not confident they would fit under stock fenders/Strut assembly Spring. I am about 80% against and 20% for getting the 17x8.5 wheels. Anyone have advice or actual experience running 8.5J wheels under stock Z (not ZX as I know they will fit there) fenders/struts?

NOTE: You can still count me in for 2 sets of the 17x9.5 -19 for my Flared Z.

Bartman    61
Well...I have decided to bite the bullet and order 1 set of the 17" RBs from 18 Racing for my "STOCK" Z setup(no coilovers). However, I haven't decided if I want to go with 17x7.5 or 17x8.5. Here is where I'd like some input from you folks. Im 100% confident that the 17x7.5 will fit due to past experiences. Except, I'd like to get the 17x8.5 if I could but i am not confident they would fit under stock fenders/Strut assembly Spring. I am about 80% against and 20% for getting the 17x8.5 wheels. Anyone have advice or actual experience running 8.5J wheels under stock Z (not ZX as I know they will fit there) fenders/struts?

If you're looking for the biggest you can fit under stock fenders, go with the 8.5's. Look at post #3 in this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122754

hughdogz    12

Unless I'm wrong, they should fit a 280ZX. I'm also running the Tokico setup, and these really thick RCA spacers from Techno toy (not sure that matters). I have 8.5" width, 17" rims that use a spacer for zero offset. They are still 1.25" inside the fenders.

I have 4.25" backspacing now and the RB's would have 4" backspace (9.5"/2 -19mm). How far they stick out from the hub would be 5.5" (9.5"/2 +19mm) which would be 1.25" more than what I have now and that should work perfect.

I'm tempted to go with the 8.5" RB's because I know they'll fit and are available now...but just looking at my ZX, the rims could come out another inch or so...

SHADY280    10

i currently run 9.5" wide 17 diameter rims with stock suspention height, no rolling or cutting required. i ft 255/40r17 on them with no problem. huge lip on either side of the centerline. i may want to purchace a set of the rims, for the bob sharp racecar, it would suit it soo much. i may just have to bit the bullet for them, how long do we have to decide b4 its too late.

rudypoochris    10

Okay guys... Might want to start a new thread...

In response to your question though, since you asked. I currently HAVE 4 Rota 16x8 +10mm 245/50/R16 fitted Grids. They clear coilovers no problem and probably would clear stock springs. You would need to roll the fender slightly. There is rubbing at the rail as well. A 245/45 would probably fix this. Alternatively you could space out probably 5-10mm. So I would believe a +4 or +0 would be ideal in your case... Hope that helps. If you want my wheels + tires I am selling them for too much money. BUT I already filed out the hub bore to clear 280z hubs. PM me if your interested.

As for your wheels SHADY280, mind measuring the backspacing? I am really interested. From the inside lip to the mounting surface would be great to know. I would like that -19 double checked. I did build a mock wheel, but it is always best to be too sure.

rudypoochris    10
I am interested in this set up HOWEVER I HAVE to have mine CLEAR stock suspension (right now) and I DON"T WANT FLARES I will ROLL my FENDERS.

can I get in on a 17X8.5 on all 4 corners or do I have to get 9.5's?

17x8.5 +4 offsets are currently available through Kim at rotawheel.com

rudypoochris    10
Is this for certain it will fit stock suspension and stock fenders (some trimming or rolling OK) 240-280Z?

That is beyond my knowledge. There are people in this forum who have had them, try a search, I forget their name and modifications. Personally a 245/50/16 16x8 +10 doesn't fit on my 240z with coilovers, but that doesn't mean much. So not sure if that helps.

russ in va    10

I'll throw in my 2 cents on fitment. I have these wheels in a 16x8 with 10mm offset. My car is (unfortunately) at stock ride height. When I test fit a set of 245/45/16's, the front sidewall was in sligth contact with the spring perch. The rear would have fit except for some contact with the body work in a severe bump. If I had coilovers and the car was low, the front would have been fine (cut off stock spring perch and using 2.5" ID springs). In the rear, significant fender rolling and possibly stretching would have been involved.

I am running 225/50/16's instead. I had to massage the stock spring perch with a sledge (you could say I smashed the spring perch flat where it would otherwise have been hitting the tire). Works great. I've been meaning to refit the 245/45's with the spring perch shaped the way it is now, I suspect they would fit. With the 225's I have no problem in the rear, but if the car was really low it might require fender rolling.

If you go with 17x8.5 +4's and run a 245/40/17, I expect the front will fit fine (have a hammer handy to beat on the spring perch if neccessary). If the car is stock ride height, the rear will probably be fine too, but if the car is low or you drive on rough roads you will need to roll the fenders and possibly stretch them a bit.

rudypoochris    10

That is a good question I would assume the company would bill when they ship, but honestly I do not know. All financial dealings will be from you (the client) direct with the main Rota supplier for North America. I have just emailed Kim Bong ([email protected], supplier) your inquiery, I will post the answer when I recieve it.

rudypoochris    10

The issue with the 8.5" fronts with 9.5" rears is simply that for Rota to bother making the 9.5" setup in the specification we request, they need to sell 100 wheels right off the bat to justify even bothering to make the mold. If we all went with 8.5" front and 9.5" rear we would need something like 50 group buyers. Now that IS possible if that is what people want to do, but I am not sure it is/I am not sure we have those kind of numbers. We could just copy Watanabe's offset/specs for the front. If we would be doing 50 anyway, that is enough to have a custom front offset too...

At the same time, we are so close now that I think it makes more sense to simply buy the 9.5" all around and then if there is enough interest someone (or I) can organize a wheel exchange for those who would like smaller fronts.

I will call Kim at Rota today and ask if this can be done in a 17x9 -13 easily with less than 50 people, and so on. Then of course I will ask you all what you think. Group buy proceeds as normal. :)

EDIT: The rep is going to inquire with the factory about the possibility of doing 17x9" -13 front and 17x9.5" -19 rear. Any information about this will be posted here. Initially he said it would take 50 sets, but it doesn't hurt to ask, they might be more flexible. WOULD YOU ALL BE MORE INTERESTED IN THIS OPTION (17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear)??? POLL IT UP TOP

rudypoochris    10
That's a tough call.

Rudy, would you be able to show a picture(with your card board wheels) comparing the -13 and -19 in the front with a stock fender?

i'm sure if you could see how it fits on the car people would be much more clear on what exactly they want.

I cannot since that wheel has been junked a while ago. Basically the difference in the -13 9" and the -19 9.5" is merely on how far the wheel would protrude outwards, towards the fender. Essentially the backspacing is the same at 4.5", but the front spacing on the -13 provides an extra .5" of clearance. This might be nice where the tire mock up showed possible interference at the lower valance. If someone with Watanabes in 16x9 -13 up front could show a picture of their lower valance clearance, that would be very helpful in determining the ideal size.

In any case, this is a group buy, so the idea is going to be to make everyone happy. As of right now the 17x9.5" -19 is still a go on all four corners. The price is still $750 shipped, or $700 pick up for those who live around the Bay Area. The time from ordering to your door is 3-4 months (I checked with the rep. today). :)

NZeder    4

I posted this earlier for reference: (http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/matching/nissan.htm)

Backspacing turns out to be: (determined by me...please double check math/conversion)

Width (in) Offset(mm) Backspacing (in)

8.5j -6(mm) 4.013779528(in)

9j -13(mm) 3.988188976(in)

9.5j -19(mm) 4.001968504(in)

Man, can we get this going? (Sigh) Im thinking about ordering another set to get this moving.

Not quite right I have a set of 16x8.5 -6 and 16x9.5 -19 rs watanabes and I can confirm they have 4.5" backspace so the maths is more like

Width (in) Offset(mm) Backspacing (in)

8.5j -6(mm) 4.514(in)

9.5j -19(mm) 4.502(in)

This is because a rim is measured bead to bead not lip to lip. If you measure a rim lip to lip then the watanabes would be approx 16x9.5 -6 and 16x10.5 -19 but this is not how rims are measured so we don't say that.

And a 4.5" backspace will clear stock springs and spring perches hence the sizing that is recommended by rs watanabe.

Hope this clears this up abit - and this has been covered on a number of threads before - how to correctly calculate the BS of a rims given the manufactured method of meassuring rims (that is bead to bead)

rudypoochris    10

Hello, I have been corresponding with you for quite some time now. Finally we have the 25 group buyers (100 wheels) that you indicated would be required to make these wheels in:

Type: Rota RB

Diameter: 17â€

Width: 9.5â€

Offset: -19

Pattern: 4x114.3

Make sure you realize the offset is negative 19, not positive! In any case, attached is the list with the buyers email addresses. All of them have agreed to the $750 shipped price. I assume you will contact them and take all of their address and payment information down.

Earlier I asked about the option of doing 17x9†-13 4x114.3 for just the two front wheels. If that is still a possibility please let me know.

As for the wheel design, we like the way the 17x8.5†wheel looks. If you could keep exactly the same look and simply push the spokes and the mounting position in to whatever -19 is, that would be great. We do not want the spokes to become angled like they were when the Rota Grids went from high offset to the low offset. The spokes should keep the same angle they currently have in all the other RB’s. If you do not understand what I mean, please call me (Chris) at 510-915-5298.

Thanks again! If there is any issue contacting members of the list or if some “drop out†please let me know. Thank you very much.

It is sent! :-P

TimO    5

So here’s a thought….lets all thank Chris and help him out a bit by buying his set of wheels...only $25 from each of us would do it. After all, he is college student with limited funds. Think about it…he has spent quite a lot of time and energy putting together a great deal for us. Rota is a well known and respected wheel manufacturer, 17x9.5 with the correct offset in 4x114.3 plus a killer style for cheap….is virtually impossible for us to find. All it would take is each of us paypal $25 or ? to Chris to buy his set of wheels!!! I think it’s the least we could do.

By the way I have not met Chris and he doesn’t know I’m making this suggestion.

I’ve already sent him my thanks:

[email protected]

rudypoochris    10
Can you confirm you have me on the list?

Thanks,Jim

PM sent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been thinking about this whole donation thing for quite some time now. Normally I really couldn't accept money from you guys. I did not create this group buy looking for any sort of profit or benefit. I greatly appreciate it though. I feel that if I do accept and something goes wrong (say the factory ends up taking 5 months or the wheels have some sort of unforseen fitment issue [unlikely]) I will feel terrible. If you do decide you want to donate, maybe it is best to wait until you recieve the wheels, after the entire transaction, to see if you like them and were pleased.

In the end it is really up to you guys if you want to donate or not and when to donate. I will accept donations, just thought you all should know where am coming from. In any case I am EXTREMELY appreciative of any donations and just the simple fact that you all actually wanted to go in on this group buy, because "Hey" I am getting some killer wheels too! For that I am thankful enough.

Thanks for jumping in on this group buy guys! I will make sure to stay on top of the rep. Additions list will be sent to him on Monday for those of you who asked to be added. :)

rudypoochris    10

Great! I got a reply from Kim (the rep). He requested that we start emailing him color choices. I will release his email address after he gets back to me about payment details, so please don't email just yet! I asked him to jot down your payment information now as I do believe it is in the best interest of the group buy that we do not have issues later down the line. He should still be billing only once they ship though, not immidiately. In any case, check out:

http://rotawheel.com/rb1.htm

And start choosing wheel colors! There might be more available, some options (like polished lip vs. painted etc.), honestly I don't know. You may ask the rep when I drop the email here later today. :-D

PS. I am all over that Royal Gold with polished lip. Enough said. :)

rudypoochris    10

Okay. The Rota Rep's email address is:

[email protected]

He has requested that you all send him an email with your wheel color choice. Please mention that you are in the HybridZ group buy somewhere. It is also probably adviseable to let him know what wheel you are talking about. Here is what I sent:

Wheel: Rota RB

Size: 17” x 9.5”

Offset: -19

Pattern: 4x114.3

I am in the HybridZ group buy and would like my set of wheels in Royal Gold with polished lip please. Thank you!

I will also be emailing everyone on the group buy list to inform them that they should go ahead and contact the rep. Sorry if you recieve this information twice but the persons who do not frequent the forum must be informed. Happy color picking. :)

rudypoochris    10
Emailed RGM polished

I was wondering what the center hole size would be???

73mm is the numbew want right?

I shall ask in the 17x8.5 thread if the center fit.

EDIT: Seems like the Rota RB's in 17x8.5" are fitting just fine in this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126343

In either case, if someone knows the diameter of the 260/280z hub bores that would be great. I know the 240z is 73mm from searching, but I couldn't find if the 280z was the same.

Guest Butter   
Guest Butter

Just to give you guys an idea. I have the real thing.

My fronts are Watanabe RS8 (custom) 17x9.5 -15

Tires are 235/40/17

4" lip

P1000881.JPGBlister4.JPG