HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

Welding it back together is the thing to do! Find Austin's (240hoke) write up on cutting the fenders and you will see how he did it, he has pictures in the thread.

I've already read it and that was were I got my info from actually. :) I just don't have the know-how to weld them together. If I do it, I want to do it right.

Guest DragonSworn

Hey I'm finally ready to get my '77 280z back on the road. My car doesn't have coilovers, flares & not rolled fenders. Any advice on a conservative rim width? I'm worried the 17x9 -12 offset will be to large & I'm not sure why that rim would be better than a 17x8. I'd like to skin the rimes with 245/45/17 is possible

Any help would be appreciated

Wade

I just got my set of Rotas in the mail from Kim yesterday, and took them to the paint shop where my car is being painted so that they can be matched to the car. I should have the car back next weekend and will snap a few pictures.

I'm just in the process of rolling the fenders. Here's a quick picture of the difference between the stock wheels (car is lowered with the Tokico HP255 kit) and the Rota RB-R 17" x 9.5 -19 riding on Yokohama 255/40/17 S-Drives (the 275's are on backorder) on my 280ZX.

post-6495-12729918516171_thumb.jpg

BFG G Force sports 275 40 17 rears, 255 40 17 fronts, should have went with a 245 front.

DSC_0012_Large.jpg

I was considering going with a 245 front instead of 255, but the ~1/8" difference in radius and ~3/8" difference in width didn't seem significant. Why do you wish you went with 245 front?

Nigel

I sent Kim a email 4 days ago with no reply. How long does it take him to reply to a email?

It can take a week or two. Don't forget this is less than half of what the wheels would cost you if you went and bought them retail. Rota is doing this as a favor to us so be patient he will get back to you. As has been posted several times its best to e-mail him with your exact specs. He will need to reference your e-mail as he gets a ton of phone messages and e-mails and its impossible to remember ever single one. Its not uncommon either to have his voice mail box full.

First off a big thanks to Yasin first for the inspiration with his gorgeous white S130 and secondly for answering my landslide of questions.... you saved me a lot of grief on picking these wheels/tires out and getting them installed.

Right now I'm running 235/45/17 and 255/40/17 Yokohama S-Drive tires on RB-R 9.5" wheels. I tried the 255 on the front and they looked fantastic but even after I rolled the fenders I didn't want to put my finger in between the fender and the tire when we bounced the car up and down - too close. I ordered in a set of 235's and while they are a bit streched on the 9.5" rims the lip guard built into the tire transistions with the curve of the tire/rim nicely. I'm not a big stretched tire fan so I was worried about the look but it worked out fine.

A couple of tips. Use the right tool for the job - you can use a pipe/baseball bat or even a rolled up newspaper apparently but for those who have tried it I'm sure they'll recomend using a proper fender roller. The Tire Rack has them but expect to spend about $275ish on a good one - I rented one for a day for $40 locally. Start with the rear fenders as they are doubled up. Its slow going but patients will pay off. I set the day aside to do it so I wasn't rushed. It takes a while to get the inner lip to fold over but do a small section through whatever arc your roller is set up for. Once that first section rolls over its a lot easier to get the next portion or arc to fold over. Don't try to roll the whole thing at once as it takes a lot longer. There are lots of good instructional videos. Remember to use a heat gun to warm the paint up - not cook it. On my '83 the paint is original and still quite flexible.

The car with the stock wheels and before the Tokico HP255 kit was installed (lowered)

(and no its not a JDM - I just mirrored the picture so it matches the following pictures for a better comparison ;P )

post-6495-12737115358651_thumb.jpg

New RB-Rs installed on the 280ZX

post-6495-12737115326847_thumb.jpg

post-6495-12737115284701_thumb.jpg

post-6495-12737115254069_thumb.jpg

post-6495-12737115216386_thumb.jpg

FricFrac,

Your car looks fantstic with the upgrade. These wheels really work well with the s130 as they fill out the wells and have an aggressive stance. The more s130's like Yasin's and yours that I see, the more I am really liking them, (used to be s30 only, but liking what I see). Thumbs up....

The right wheel and tire combo makes all the difference on a car, and that combo couldn't be better honestly. Looks great! If I see you around town I'll be the idiot honking at you. wink.gif

Lol - well hopefully that will be some inspiration to get your Rota's on the 240Z.... which I have yet to see.... oh and don't worry - if you're driving around in the Z I'll be waving at you before you see me ;P

FricFrac,

Your car looks fantstic with the upgrade. These wheels really work well with the s130 as they fill out the wells and have an aggressive stance. The more s130's like Yasin's and yours that I see, the more I am really liking them, (used to be s30 only, but liking what I see). Thumbs up....

+1 on that, I think they are conspiring to turn us over to the Dark side of the Z force haha.

CamH,

Looking forward to seeing the finished paint job on your car and wheels. Out of curiosity, where did you take your car to have painted?

I took it to Elite Auto in La Mesa. They are a little slow but they do great work. I will be picking the car up tomorrow at 4:30 so I should be posting back in this thread tomorrow evening.

It can take a week or two. Don't forget this is less than half of what the wheels would cost you if you went and bought them retail. Rota is doing this as a favor to us so be patient he will get back to you. As has been posted several times its best to e-mail him with your exact specs. He will need to reference your e-mail as he gets a ton of phone messages and e-mails and its impossible to remember ever single one. Its not uncommon either to have his voice mail box full.

Two weeks and counting. Seems like a waste of time. Might be a good deal but time is money. I'd rather pay for customer service.

Edited by pat1