HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

I was able to get some better pictures at the Vacaville meet n' greet today. It was nice. Thanks to Gollum, Ncfisher, and Stealth-Z; we were able to mount up the two sample wheels on a bones stock 1978 280z. Just look at that rear suspension clearance!

Thank you WizardBlack for looking into the Toyota brakes. :)

I will measure the Grids I have (which I know do not clear) and compare them to the RB's (which I suspect should clear). I have also perused through the forum and found instances of people using Toyota brakes with 16x8 and other size RB's with no issue at all.

On Monday I will be calling the rep. to find out if the Rota manufacturer really can make the RB-R exactly as specified, if not I will have to find out what needs to be done. :)

BTW: These Rota RB's look fantastic just the way they are. I am almost worried the RB-R will look worse... BUT I do love the deep dish and one never knows. We shall see.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

ive looked thru the thread and somewhere in the 24 pages (i proly just skimmed too fast) but what are the color options on these rb's cause im thinkin im about to swipe the stripe on these wheels..and my dad with his 280zx might want a set if they fit..we shall see...andtake pics if i buy a set

Most certainly anything on this page:

http://rotawheel.com/rb1.htm

But I have a suspicion there are a lot more options... Doesn't hurt to ask the representative when you place your order. :)

Toyota guys you can breathe more easily. After measuring the back of my Rota Grid I came up with 6.625" mounting surface diameter and at 1" of depth 7.5". On the Rota RB the mounting surface is <6" and at 1" the diameter is 6.25". Thus the S12W's should clear. If anyone has these brakes though it would be much appreciated if you could confirm that they do not protrude closer than 3.125" at 1" away from the mounting surface. :)

thats what i meant staggered as in 2 different wheel sizes....and the lips are great either way....and you said you pieced together your willwood kit for cheaper....pm me about your set up and how much it cost please cause im looking for the best/cost effective way out thanks again for gettin us this deal-jeff

This is the kit I used:

http://www.jskinnovations.com/datsun.htm

and here is the parts list:

http://www.jskinnovations.com/wilwoodpartslist.htm

You save ~$50-100 if I remember correctly since the shipping is not redundant.

---------------------

I just got off the phone with the representative. The manufacturer let him know that they will need to be making multiple costly molds to make the RB-R as specified ($20,000+ of molds to be exact). The complication arises in the way the wheels are made. Apparently there are multiple molds per wheel - at least two, probably more. To make them the factory requires a new side and front mold. The representative sees potential in this group buy though and has agreed to go ahead and do it despite the additional cost for the larger lips. Now we sit back and wait, they are making molds for us now. :D

I think the representative has really helped us out in this regard and has big time "gone out on a limb" so to speak. I hope that after the general public sees more of the wheels they and possibly other HybridZ'ers can return the favor. Thats the only news for now. Hang tight guys!

Something I just noticed (maybe I'm just slow...)

On the current prototype rims, because of the way the offset is created, you wouldn't need a huge bulging centercap in order to have a center cap that works.

Because they're effectively leaving the lip smaller, the surface the center of the rim is nice and far away, and a flat center cover looks like it'd do just fine.

With the next run having more dish I have a feeling that might not be the case, and you'd need some center caps like the OEM types, that stick way out.

i see their page offer a 17x7.5 ....is there a possibiliy of getting 2 in the 17x9.5 on this deal? i dont' have flares on the front and don't plan on it,,but the 9.5 would fit nicely in the rear. sorry if it's been answered...

Good question. I do not see why not. If you are interested in the 17x9.5" Rota RB (current available style) go ahead and ask the representative if they can do a 17x7.5 front and 17x9.5 rear... alternatively there is a 17x8.5" option that might fight IIRC (you would have to look into that). If you are inquiring about the Rota RB-R's then you would have to wait ~2-3 months to find out. Hope that helps.

thanks! i will definately have to call...if anything..prox and i are discussin splittin a set...and then buyin our own fronts. i have a 16x8 in the rear now with a 0 offset...and in the front it's a pretty good fit...if the rota was a 8" wide with a -13 offset...i do run coilovers...then it'd fit perfect. one question though..their site indicates a positive offset...it looks like the poll is asking for a negative offset...is that negative offset correct?

The negative offset is what this group buy is for. Rota typically does not supply many negative offset wheels. The wheels listed on their site are all positive offset pretty much. The RB page has not been updated with our group buy wheels, but they are available through the representative.

Why would you want an 8" wide -13? That would move the wheel out further with out adding tire width. Maybe that is what you want, I don't know. You would want coil overs if you started going positive offsets on an 8" wheel. Negative offsets will only give you more space.

Ok, here's a decent pic.

rbrimqc6.jpg

The section circled in yellow currently is how they're gaining the negative offset. Circled in red is what needs to move in order to get the offset we want while gaining dish at the same time.

Hope that makes more sense now.

Gollum is correct. Basically the entire wheel center and spokes will be pushed in towards the center of the wheel. To maintain the same offset (which the RB-R will have) material is removed from the back of the mounting surface. This provides for more lip but maintains the same offset and same widths. It is difficult to notice the difference between the RB-R and the RB based on the photos on Rota's website. Think of the RB as more curvy and almost like a "flower" in the way the spokes pop out from the center. The RB-R is more recessed with out any spokes popping out. Below is an image for clarification. On the right is RB-R on the left is the RB (this is just an example, not an image of the 17x9 or 17x9.5). The RB is the one currently in production, the RB-R is the one that will be entering into production in ~2 months.

Differance.jpg

so the lip doesn't change...the the spokes are just more flat?. also...are there center caps? it seems that the RB would better cover the front hub and dust seal correct?

Depends which wheel you are talking about. On the RB the lip is 3" front and rear. For the RB-R (coming out in 2-3 months) the lip should be staggered front to back and more than 3". For the RB-R the spokes are like the picture above on the right. The RB is like that on the left. So yes, the RB-R has a "flatter" looking spoke.

Yes there are center caps included in the price.

The RB would better cover the front hub/spindle. There is no dust seal to cover facing outside of the hub. There is merely a cap that covers a large nut (22mm IIRC????) with a cotter pin in it. The cap is what seals out contaminants.

Center caps have been a fitment issue in the past with Rota RB and RB-R's from what I have read on this forum. I cannot comment whether or not they will fit with out modification as I have not been given a set to test. It is not a safety or reliability issue in the least if they do not fit - merely an aesthetics issue which is still important as well.

Hope that helps! :)

hey man im back again....do we have a phone number or full name for this guy?? i sent him an email like 2 or 3 days ago and havent heard anything yet?

His name is Kim Bong and his work phone number is:

(510) 786-1726

What email address did you mail him at?

kimcosmic@juno.com

He is very busy, hopefully you do not have any more issues getting in touch. :)

amen dave.....that 275 under my ass makes me all...well we wont go there.....BUT GREAT NEWS fellas....and ladies (if any) i got a reply back from kim today....he said HE CAN DO THE CARBON FIBER CENTER with a polished lip :) im sooooo stoked for that cause i know alot of guys are running the carbon flares, spoilers, and hoods (like i will be) from raceonusa and other companies...and im thinking with the wheels it would pull that theme together amazingly..heres the kicker though....he says i need 4 ppl to buy a set for a total of 5 sets in that color, so please guys im beggin you...i know somebody out there wants em just like i do so can i get four of ya? thanks-jeff

Have you seen those rims in person? That technique is like a thick sticker heated up and stretched over an item and then cured in place. It may look cool (to some) on the face of the part, but it gets really apparent as to what it is when you see the curves and corners of the part. The pattern stretches and warps around the slightest curve or corner (each C/F square stretches to a long diamond shape, etc.). No offense to anyone that likes them, but some ppl view them as very obviously fake. You especially don't want to put them on a car with real carbon fiber right next to it to compare with it. YMMV

For those of you interested in the Wide ZG flares... I talked with 280ZForce and came to the conclusion that his rear wheel and tire setup is a 17x10.5 -12 with a 315 tire on it. If we were to run the same wide ZG flare our setup would stick further inside the flare by .25-.5", which in my mind still would look nice. Check out the thread. Just food for thought. :)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132597

is painted on says kim....not a sticker...but either way i ended up going with the bronze with a polished lip....looks like ill be the 1st in the us to have it!!! so dont go copyin me fellas lol :P just gotta wait on these to come in now....gahhhd i hate shipping...and waiting but ill get some pics as soon as i get em in and on the car

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm really strongly considering these. I have a few questions though. Would the RB-R eliminate all or at least a good deal of that spacer in there? Also, what is the ETA for the RB-R to be available in these sizes? I really prefer the more concave look.

There is no spacer. No need for spacers period. I did comment about purchasing spacers free of charge IF for whatever reason brakes aren't clearing RB-R's, which really shouldn't happen (the reason behind this was due to the fact that I changed the 1.25" brake clearance specification to .875"). In any case the only possible common break setup that I think could have an issue would be the Toyota setup, but I don't think a spacer would fix that, at the same time I do not think it is an issue either with the smaller mounting diameter of this wheel compared to others that have interfered in the past.

A front air dam or trimming of the front lower valance is required though for full lock operation. The ETA for the RB-R to be available was ~3 months to our doors at the end of March. So it should be around 2 1/2 months off from now.

I agree on the more concave look, we shall see how they come out. :)

Sorry, I guess "spacer" wasn't the correct term there. I meant the metal disk that has been placed behind the mounting holes to achieve the low offset we have now. I was wondering if there would be less of that in the finished RB-R. My fault.

There is no metal disk behind the mounting holes... The mounting surface itself is less thick which is what will be featured in the RB-R. Sorry if I am not understand correctly, does that answer your question?

so does that mean the rs-r will have a more concave design and a lil bit more lip than the one that is goin to b in production now? cuz i was on the list for this one but it didnt turn out how i expected it to be. so can i pull out till the rs-r is made?

The RB-R will have a flatter spoke which makes the center appear more recessed, so I guess one could think of it as more concave, yes. There should be a little more lip as well. You can wait for the RB-R's if you prefer them. You do not need to do anything at all, simply wait until I let everyone know the specifics.