HybridZ

$3k a good deal? (56k NO WAY)

I'm slightly on the other side of the fence on this one. I would rather buy a complete, running car with some bad paint and rough interior for $3000. Whenever you pick up a project that's half done, without a first hand history, it could become scary. Who knows what is under all that paint or inside that motor. It could be rebuilt, but by who, with what skills? I have seen rebuilt motors go bang in ten minutes. Be very careful. Although, I would add up the ebay value of all the parts you listed above and see if you might be able to offer less and turn a nice profit to pay for a different Z. OTOH, If you can prove that the shell is very solid, you can keep that and start over with the rest of it.

I'm slightly on the other side of the fence on this one. I would rather buy a complete, running car with some bad paint and rough interior for $3000. Whenever you pick up a project that's half done, without a first hand history, it could become scary. Who knows what is under all that paint or inside that motor. It could be rebuilt, but by who, with what skills? I have seen rebuilt motors go bang in ten minutes. Be very careful. Although, I would add up the ebay value of all the parts you listed above and see if you might be able to offer less and turn a nice profit to pay for a different Z. OTOH, If you can prove that the shell is very solid, you can keep that and start over with the rest of it.

Thats good advice, one of my biggest regrets is buying someone elses stripped project with a LOT of parts. While I may have save some money on parts etc. I've more than spent looking at things that were modified not to my knowledge or things missing etc. If you've worked on Z's before and have a GOOD understanding of how things should be, another persons project won't be a big deal. HOWEVER if this is your first Z, buying a running or close to running Z would be a lot easier to rebuild IMO.

Tyson