HybridZ

New Guy FAQ request

Could there possibly be a list of body part crossovers for the S30 (and maybe what you could swipe from the 280ZX) for those guys new to the cars and trying to figure what cars in a junkyard might be a potential donor for the piece they are looking for? For example, I need a driver's fender and wanted to know if the later S130 fenders were the same, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

:mparty:Just some info on the ZX to Z exchange. The body parts will not exchange (280ZX had some size difference in most body parts). The engine block and transmission can be exchanged. The arms on the rear of the car will not exchange with the Z without major mods (two different styles of arms). The R200 rearend and CV shafts can be exchanged. Alot of stuff will exchange between the 240Z to 280Z. But most people will only exchange the 280ZXT or L-28 engine plus the 5-speed into the early version Z. Some of the front end will change over. The brakes can be used with some mods. Most is up to you and how skilled you are to adapting stuff. Just do a lot of reading (searching) at this site and you will reap alot of knowledge. This one of the greatest sites on how to do mods to the Z car. Check out both of the cars and you will see the difference in them. Good Luck, Rich.:)

People have covered the "ZX->Z" fairly well, but as far as "Inter-S30" 240-260-280 body parts interchange, pretty well anything that isnt taillights, turn signals, grill, or bumper related is essentially the same.. NOTE!!! the doors from 1970-1976 all interchange with each other, although there ARE slight differences. HOWEVER the 1977-78 doors are a completely different beast.

260 stuff, early 260 bumpers, turn signals, grill etc were 240, later were 280.. (unsure about the "later 260Z" bumpers?) The 77-78 280Zs had different bumpers from the 75-76, but they should interchange.

Tail lights can be swapped with some effort, front turn signals can be swapped with some effort (I know this because we used to have a 280 that had been re titled as a 240 and the turn signals and tail lights were the only things he did to it superficially to make it look like a 240; the interior was straight 77 280Z, down to the typeface on the gauges.)

In short, the S30, regardless of model year or engine size, can be treated as one single model that underewent several minimal changes throughout the decade of the seventies. An 85 IROC and a 92 RS don't have the same tail lights (do they? i was reaching for an example and I'm 99% sure about that statement) BUT they should interchange right? Treat anything (exterior at least) with that kind of mentality, and inspect it if you can before installation.

Whats wrong with your fender?

Pinhole "through" rust spots around the rim, lots of waves in metal from a crude temporary repair and the very bottom ~10" length has a vertical "tear" in the metal about 6 inches long. Ie., it's a toast fender. :-(

oh, i thought maybe it just had some rust near the bottom like most. sorry to hear that. i've heard of people using car-part.com and getting good results, you might try that and find one.

Yeah, I found that after the fact. Oh well. I am sure to use it in the future. I ended up getting a Black Dragon Auto fender (Taiwanese knockoff). I really want to get into the areas prone to rust and get things POR-15'ed to halt the "invasion".

One thing I noticed is that the bottom portion of the fenders are not supported very well. The very bottom where it bolts on is only supported on the back half with the front half hanging in the air, so to speak. The natural tendency of this area to get attacked by rust only adds to the stress and you end up with ripped up fenders. Quite strange.