HybridZ

I think i have a 280ZXR

jknc90

How do I tell if my car is a ZXR? I have a silver mist 280zx that originally had ZXR wheelcovers (i didn't recognize them and swap them with a parts car that had the regular wheels) Anyway the car doesn't have the wing or stripes, but its been repainted by p/o's. What vin #'s were ZXR's or someway to tell if I have a ZXR.

Thanks a lot

The VIN numbers were not sequential. I have a faxed list of the numbers somewhere at home that I got from Nissan a few years back. I should get it online one of these days.

ZXR's had no options though. Does your car have all manual windows, locks, manual steering, and a 5-speed manual? (black interrior) that's a start.

Those wheel covers were not 'ZXR' specific wheel covers. They were for all 280ZXs that did not get purchased with alloy wheels in 1979. Most people opted for alloys and a few luxury items though.

The VIN numbers were not sequential. I have a faxed list of the numbers somewhere at home that I got from Nissan a few years back. I should get it online one of these days.

ZXR's had no options though. Does your car have all manual windows, locks, manual steering, and a 5-speed manual? (black interrior) that's a start.

Those wheel covers were not 'ZXR' specific wheel covers. They were for all 280ZXs that did not get purchased with alloy wheels in 1979. Most people opted for alloys and a few luxury items though.

Yeah, my car has manual everything. If you could find that list it would be great. Thanks for helping me out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bojo68
Yeah, my car has manual everything. If you could find that list it would be great. Thanks for helping me out.

Same car here!:)

+1

• 1 month later...

ZXRs don't have rear wipers. theres not even a punchhole where there used to be one...

the only way I know of telling a ZXR is still up in the air... I discovered kinda by accident that on the center console lid if you take the pad off the base there is a white # written on the backside of the pad... mine has what is either a #6 or a #9 written in it. I've only talked to one other ZXR owner and we pulled his apart in a parking lot to find #219 written in his in the same white marker. perhaps someone on Nissan's line marked them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the ZXRs are ALL identicle cars , Silver with the vinyl 3-tone stripes, black interior, 5spds and no options EXCEPT Air conditioning. the Whale tail is really what makes the car special.

other than that the only special thing about them is the fact that they lack ALL the noise reduction coatings from the inside of the car wich saves around 300lbs from a standard S-130 Slicktop, someone at Nissan Motorsports told me that the first 300 ZXRs built also had a mildly more aggressive camshaft than standard 280ZXs, my car (beleived to be #6) does indeed have a different camshaft than the 79 2+2 I had, so there might be some truth to that too.

alright guys, I finally took the time to scan them. They are uploading right now. They'll probably be ready by the time you read this.

They seem to be random vins. Maybe someone has a text recognition program and can take them from JPG format to text and put that online. Then people can just do a search for their VIN.

http://www.bleachgarage.com/images/zxr

the ZXRs are ALL identicle cars , Silver with the vinyl 3-tone stripes, black interior, 5spds and no options EXCEPT Air conditioning. the Whale tail is really what makes the car special.

other than that the only special thing about them is the fact that they lack ALL the noise reduction coatings from the inside of the car wich saves around 300lbs from a standard S-130 Slicktop, someone at Nissan Motorsports told me that the first 300 ZXRs built also had a mildly more aggressive camshaft than standard 280ZXs, my car (beleived to be #6) does indeed have a different camshaft than the 79 2+2 I had, so there might be some truth to that too.

Actually i really do not believe all this.. i have a 280zxr (40 somewhat k miles) and believe me since im extensively modifying it ( haha no purist to flame me here)

The engine does not seem anything diffrent, and the soundproofing is all there where it normally sits aswel ( assuming you mean the floorboards etc).. As a mattar of fact the rear wiper washer tube runs back there.

Given it does not have the wiper hole in the back.. but i think some basemodel fairlady doesnt have that either so hence the cover and hatch being diffrent.

It is just the first BLING rice car ever made with factory decall and big wing!! :)

However i would buy into a group buy to reproduce those decalls!

Sorry to be so sceptic.. the only thing special is the wing .. nothing more in my opinion.