HybridZ

I think i have a 280ZXR

jknc90

yea mine has the tubing aswell, however mine has no sound-deadening material anywhere in the car, its carpet-padding-paint-metal, no deadening spray.

I too am highly modifying mine, drove it to almost 300K before the rod bearings went and I pulled the motor apart and the cam is indeed different than the cam in the other 2 engines I've got

I will admit that I cannot vouch for any of the car's history untill about 5 years ago now, I pulled it out of a salvage yard where it apparently sat for nearly 10 years. so its possible the cam and sound deadening removal was done by previous owner, but that would be ALOT of work to do to a car to junk it. and the fact that all I did was put a battery in the car and started driving it tells me that it wasn't junked for any kind of real problem.

edit: yes 30 not 300 my bad for the extra zero

I heard that someone wanted to race a 280ZX with a wing or something so they had nissan make 1000 of them wit the wing this way it was a factory car or something, I think it's on wikipedia or something.

PS this could all be wrong and misquoted so don't give me any grief.

nope, your right.

someone found that by adding the wing, it gave the z great high speed stability that it needed, however, it wasn't allowed because it wasn't "factory" therefore, they made 1000 cars to come with it factory to homologate the wing, and also had it available to buy or something

Yep. Its in the Nissan Competition Parts book:

99996-R8000 280ZXR Rear Wing Kit.

Wing is made of molded rubber and is identical to the ones used on SCCA and IMSA winning 280ZX's. Instructions and and all mounting hardware is included. Will not fit 2+2 models or models equipped with rear wiper mechanism.

too bad Nissan discontinued the wing a couple years ago, and sold off their inventory.... there was a thread in the body kits and paint section when all this happened.

I managed to get one of the last OEM wings to replace mine wich had been RIPPED off the car before I could take it home from the junkyard...

I think the thread names a company that makes a fiberglass reproduction of the wing though if anyone's interested

I think they actually made 1024 280zxr's. 1001 for public sale and 23 for racing.

My fax from Nissan Motorsports says 1012 but that's only the word of one guy who worked at nissan in the late 90's. Either way, they did sell 1001 to the public because they had to sell a minimum of 1000. :) didn't want to miscount by one.

BleechZee,

I know I have a ZXR. I can't see any of the VIN number on your links. Can you verify my VIN number? it's HS130148325. I've traded the whale tail with someone awhile back and I am about to sale my ZXR to a friend. I just want to verify that it is truely a ZXR. If it is then one of these days if I buy the whale tail back I might restore it to original. THanks

Vinh

Tripod won't let me link to the picture so go to here http://vvu.tripod.com/zxspyder/Starting/ and click on "79 car"

Found yours...

image 7 second row, second # down.

your page isn't loading for me tho.

even modified a ZXR just isn't a ZXR without its whale tail... that is something my car will retain for good.

you have to use a program with a zoom feature to make the lists readable...

ZXREmb.jpg

ZXRFrt.jpg

682335_23_full.jpg

The following is from the The Z Car Home Page.

"The 1979 DATSUN 280ZXR Contributed to the Z Car Home Page

by: Carl Beck, IZCC #260

(as of 24 Mar. 98)

The Special Edition 280ZXR

was limited in production to only

1000 units. They are very rare today indeed!

This summary is intended to give you general information about these special edition cars.

If you own one of these Limited Edition 280ZX's, please contact me at: beck@becksystems.com

Or if you like, you may add it to our Register, at any time by clicking here

Pictured at right - the front of the 280ZXR had blue racing stripes on both sides of the hood and around the "power buldge".

INTRODUCTION:

The DATSUN 280 ZXR's were produced by the NISSAN Factory to homologate the large rear wing for racing. This car had to be manufactured in 1000 unit lots to meet the qualification requirements for "Production Class" status. Thus only 1000 were produced. The ZXR was a standard 280ZX coupe with blue stripes on a silver mist paint scheme. The factory registered special edition cost the new owner $399.00 extra.

The side strips shown in the picture below, were actually decals! Note also the large -R- designation after the ZX side emblem.

ZXR.jpg

Here is a close up of that side emblem. Note also the two tone blue strips on a black backgound. ZXREmb.jpg

Pictured below is the large - Rear Wing - that this homologation special was all about.

ZXRWng.jpg

280ZXR WING KIT - thats how it was listed in the DATSUN Competition Parts Catalog.

Here is what it said: Wing is made of molded rubber and is identical to the one used on SCCA and IMSA winning 280ZX's. Will generate over 370lbs of downforce at 100MPH. To counteract front end lift, an air dam should also be installed. Instructions, H/D deck lid struts and all mounting hardware included. Will NOT fit 2+2's and requires modification to clear rear wiper.

too bad Nissan discontinued the wing a couple years ago, and sold off their inventory.... there was a thread in the body kits and paint section when all this happened.

I managed to get one of the last OEM wings to replace mine wich had been RIPPED off the car before I could take it home from the junkyard...

I think the thread names a company that makes a fiberglass reproduction of the wing though if anyone's interested

This one from MSA is similar.

Fiberglass Turbo Tail II, 79-83 ZX Coupe

large501603.jpgQuantity in Basket:none

Code: 50-1603

Price:$334.95

Quantity:

similar in appearance, but the angle of the deflection surface isn't as steep, downforce won't be as much as the actual ZXR tail.

the zxr tail also has a dip in the center of the wing I'm guessing to aid visibility(because thats exactly where it lines up in my mirror)

ZXR_kid,

Thanks for the verification. My wife been nagging at me for trading the whale tail. This was awhile back when I had no intention of restoring this car. Now I have enough experiences, tools and the space to restore any car now. The only problem is I still have my Cobra project to work on and 2 more 240Zs are waiting in my garage. I rather restore the 240Z then this ZXR. Atleast now I know for sure mine is truely a ZXR. Thanks

Vinh

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 79 280zxr from a friend who owns a tow company and towwed it for being illegally parked.Payed 900.00 bucks.SWEEEEET.Owner never claimed it in the 30 days he had to.It has a blown head gasket but exterior is excellent and interior is almost perfect.Rip in driver seat and no speakers in custom door pods.Otherwise good.Cant wait to get her goin.

I just purchased a 79 280zxr from a friend who owns a tow company and towwed it for being illegally parked.Payed 900.00 bucks.SWEEEEET.Owner never claimed it in the 30 days he had to.It has a blown head gasket but exterior is excellent and interior is almost perfect.Rip in driver seat and no speakers in custom door pods.Otherwise good.Cant wait to get her goin.

Did you get a title for it?

Lou