HybridZ

I think i have a 280ZXR

jknc90

How do I tell if my car is a ZXR? I have a silver mist 280zx that originally had ZXR wheelcovers (i didn't recognize them and swap them with a parts car that had the regular wheels) Anyway the car doesn't have the wing or stripes, but its been repainted by p/o's. What vin #'s were ZXR's or someway to tell if I have a ZXR.

Thanks a lot

look on the underhood sticker for the engine if it says leaded fuel and does not have a catalytic converter you are getting closer .everyone i have seen has been like this

I suspect my Z may have been a ZXR.

It's been repainted a thousand times since it was built, but I got around to pulling the console armrest and looking for the numbers that are supposed to be there.

In white paint there are machine-printed numbers of 9203. They are not very well printed at all, very sloppy.

Underneath that is hand-written 15 in yellow-ish grease marker.

My vin is not on the list(154036), and the tail on mine is gone.

Mine has the all black interior, with no options other than manual AC, and 5 spd standard. No little computer in the middle of the dash. Looks like a plug there in the square where the display is supposed to be. Also the little button for the computer is not there. Just a hole with a plug in it.

In you guys's opinions do you think my car could be a ZXR? Everytime some of the orange that it's been painted now rubs off, there is a silver/blue color underneath it, and underneath the hood where the car was not painted as well.

The Blue stripe on the Zx-r was vinyl striping and not painted. I doubt you have a Zx-r. Sorry.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i know this is an old thread but i was wondering if i had a 280 zxr? my car has no options but ac, its a 5 speed, the engine label says lead fuel non catalyst, it doesnt have a rear window wiper and under the console cover i have a number 6 hand written and the number 7043, my vin is 104643 which isnt on the list and my car has red or maroon color interior, i know the has been repainted some time in its life and i dont have the, wail tail but i think my hatch has the holes for one. so can someone tell if its a zxr or just a zx. thanks

i know this is an old thread but i was wondering if i had a 280 zxr? my car has no options but ac, its a 5 speed, the engine label says lead fuel non catalyst, it doesnt have a rear window wiper and under the console cover i have a number 6 hand written and the number 7043, my vin is 104643 which isnt on the list and my car has red or maroon color interior, i know the has been repainted some time in its life and i dont have the, wail tail but i think my hatch has the holes for one. so can someone tell if its a zxr or just a zx. thanks

Nope its not! not on the list it is not a ZXR.

the list is attached to this post, i have a true ZXR.. as it is on the list.. had 46K miles.. but it has some modifications now :P

280ZXr Information.pdf

I am curious now that we've got multiple cars with the same number grease mark on the console lid, my car is marked with the #6 (unless one of ours is a 9 and we just have it upside down) and has an earlier build date than some of the cars with lower vin numbers that I've spoken to the owners of, we had assumed that someone on the line had marked them as they where being built or imported, however this no longer appears to be the case. it does still appear that the grease mark is only present on the ZXRs but I guess only time will tell as other owners of various cars get curious enough to remove their console lids.

I have noticed the white PRINTED numbers on other cars; wich is absent on mine, but not the grease numbers.

as for the valve cover since no one has officially answered the question. My car was equipped with the standard N/A valve cover.

and it WAS equipped with a catylitic converter, so that rules out looking for a cat for identification of a ZXR, mine is on the list so we know its a real one. Most likely the cats where varyiant depending on what state the car was destined for.

Edited by ZXR_KiD

I am curious now that we've got multiple cars with the same number grease mark on the console lid, my car is marked with the #6 (unless one of ours is a 9 and we just have it upside down) and has an earlier build date than some of the cars with lower vin numbers that I've spoken to the owners of, we had assumed that someone on the line had marked them as they where being built or imported, however this no longer appears to be the case. it does still appear that the grease mark is only present on the ZXRs but I guess only time will tell as other owners of various cars get curious enough to remove their console lids.

I have noticed the white PRINTED numbers on other cars; wich is absent on mine, but not the grease numbers.

as for the valve cover since no one has officially answered the question. My car was equipped with the standard N/A valve cover.

and it WAS equipped with a catylitic converter, so that rules out looking for a cat for identification of a ZXR, mine is on the list so we know its a real one. Most likely the cats where varyiant depending on what state the car was destined for.

Can we please stop hyping the car..... I have had numerous zx with 'grease marks'.

The only thing the ZXR is, is a decal set and wing slapped on at the port AFTER they where built and shipped as base model (factory pre 2000 rice if you may) They are 'nothing' fancy apart from the fact there where only 1001 built, and the nostalgia about it .. sorry!

And i don’t want to be a jerk about it either, i know ZXR's first hand and yeah they are cool! But they are not souped up nor different from any other Z. If they are faster it could only be a minor weight benefit due to the fact they have less options than the normal ZX bought stateside. (and if it has the stock wheels there is less rotating mass. Steelies are the lightest you can get )

Edited by frank280zx

I agree with Frank on this. Unless you have an all original and in show room condition ZXR then it have some values. Otherwise it's just another ZX. This goes the same with the 80 AE eddition. I have a red/black one in show room condition sitting in my garage and it's nice to bring it to car shows and all but it's still just another ZX.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a friend who has asked me to help him sell his ZXR. He is the original owner of the car. It is the real thing with 87,000 miles, always garaged since new and is in pristine condition. I am attempting to establish an asking price for the car. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

And any knowledgeable ZXR buyer will likely already have the list and check it...

For the neophyte buyers, downloading the PDF and attaching it to your ad will help reinforce whatever asking price you should decide upon.

See above Frank280ZXT? I took the list with me when I picked up his in SoCal. I verified the VIN as a real ZXR, paid the man the $500 and were on our way.

So last ZXR I bought in pristine, rust free complete condition with under 50,000 miles on it sold for $500.

Without the VIN sheet to verify it, the offer would have been 1/2 that...

Edited by Tony D