HybridZ

5M-GE and 5M-GTE

datsun40146

Well I have been searching for a good swap for quite some time and may have found the answer. First I have to outline what I expect out of a swap and why its been so hard to find a good one to attempt.

1st, cost and as I am sure many hybridz'ers will agree that cheap is king.

2nd, parts availability this is why the RB series was killed, you may remember my RB25 N/A write up. Well this is the reason I killed it along will a higher cost.

3rd, livability, the swap must be livable and that means decent gas mileage and power band.

4th, Ease of swap, Who wants to a swap that’s a PAIN the ARSE along every step of the way?

5th, I would like to stay N/A, no turbo or S/C

Anyway I choose not to do a SBC ect swap because of reason three. RB swaps are out because of cost and lack of parts sourcing in the US. VG and other V6's swaps are out mainly because everything is custom to install and they don't fit as well in the z's somewhat narrow bay.

So after much searching here and elsewhere I thought I would look into the supra motors.

They are still an inline six configuration so they "should" fit although I need accurate measurements. I didn't want to mess with the 7m-gte because of cost and reason 5. So I looked into older Supras namely the mkII's. Here are the positives. They have a smaller displacement 2.8 liters :) the gas mileage should be in the mid-twenties stock, DOHC, belt driven :( great flowing head, huge aftermarket, a cult like following much like our Zs and they are CHEAP. Did I mention that this motor puts out between 145 whp to 165 whp and 207ish torques depending on the year used. It seems that the later the motor the better as far as power is concerned.

One thing that I thought was really cool was that this motor uses a very similar fuel injection system as the 75-83 Z's. IE AFM, TPS, ect. Here are some pictures of the engine. It seems to have a similar design to the RB in that it has that damn intake cross over pipe that might have to be changed. I searched the archives quite a nit and found the info to be sparse at best. Does anyone know anything about the oil pans on these motors, mounting positions (is it similar to the 7M?), and does anyone have any good measurements on this motor. Thanks everybody.

Comparison and because I thinks it so pretty

ManA.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Nice shot of thier AFM

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Nice general shot

IMG_0214.jpg

More information, This motor was the frist time toyota used hydraulic lifters, which means no more manuallying adjusting your valves and these (if they are working right) should always keep a clearance of 0. The engine had hemispherical combustion chambers, which allowed for a cross-flow head, also a big plus. Did I mention that and most other surpa motors have the 2000GT for thier heritage, cool huh?

Here is how the HP breaks down

Rated horsepower (United States figures) was bumped to 150 in 1983, 160 in 1984, 161 by 1986, and 175 in 1987

This site lists all the bore, stroke, CR for this engine and others

http://www.thermactor.com/files/pages/Tech/toyoeng.html#M

Someone who has done the swap, and has pictures and wiring diagrams which amy help although it was swapped into a truck.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=57133&t=267182

OK if the motor is taken from a Cressida, its front-sump and if taken from a supra/soarer its mid-sump. I suppose then that the pans ect will swap without many issues to meet our swap needs.

Internal Pictures, don't think it will help anyone but it might

supra-engine.jpg

Remember the 2jz-ge is out there too for similar pricing :) It doesnt need hybridizing or anything; just a thicker headgasket and ARP headstuds for turbocharging. It makes ~185whp stock through a MT. With the above mods it can handle anything you can throw at it.

Guest Disqualified

Yeah probably better engines out there for the money, but great write-uo nonetheless.

By the way. Is torques an actual unit in america? Or does it refer to Ft/lbs, N/m, kg/m?