HybridZ
wingman

R200 LSD clutches

Savage42    21
Ummm, timing is EVERYTHING. Last weekend I saw a very recent addition to the salvage yard, which was an '88 Z31 Turbo, and yep, it had the CLSD in it. So I ran home, grabbed the tools and removed the differential and axles (paid $95) as spares, and only now had any interest in this string. Missed out on this run, but if another run comes around, count me in.

BTW, I went out to look at the same Z31 yesterday, and within one week, the car was purchased whole, and removed. I got lucky on that differential.

Dang, you are lucky!! Not only for getting that diff, but I will have an extra set of discs for you. Timing is everything, for sure! Now you just need to upgrade that thing it to a tight, 6 disc diff and you'll be "good to go"!

blueovalz    51

I'll buy them!

Just one question as I quickly review old posts and information (pictures are red x'd on old info). A disc, to me, implies clutch disc material. My understanding so far on the short time I've had to read this is that these are spring steel, and hence, no clutch disc material (my only experience with clutch type differentials is showing here). The only photo I've seen to study shows a "disc" with a lot of concentric circles on it, sitting next to stack of waterjet cut discs. What was that disc with the circles. Was that clutch material, or simply wear patterns on steel?

I'm trying to read the previous strings and gain as much knowledge as quickly as is possible to determine what I need, and why. Thanks for your patience.

Savage42    21

The original discs are steel & have a circular pattern in them to help with oiling. With the advancements in metalurgy some 20 years later, these discs are laser cut to OEM spec out of the wear resistant, spring steel. Since the original diffs have lasted 20 years and a ton o' miles, adding the 4 additional discs will then cut actual wear per disc to 1/3 of that which was on the original discs. In addition to good synthetic oil, they should last forever.

Luckily, unlike some other types of LSDs, there is not an actual clutch type wear material, which would mandate frequent oil changes and would be a "serviceable item" that would need to be replaced more often. Even with some wear on the original discs, adding these and then shimming to the desired breakaway torque will get you where you need to be. Hope that helps.

Savage42    21

They are on the way!! I sent out clutch discs yesterday to everyone in the United States, so all of you should see them in 2-3 days.

For those of you in Canada that ordered them, they will be sent out today. I found out the Priority Mail envelopes I had were not International and I needed to get the customs forms. Sheez! Thanks for your patience, but I know you'll be happy with the end product.

I do have a couple extra sets that can go out right away and I'm going to order a second production run, which will take a 2-3 weeks to make up and send out. So, if you didn't get them on this run, PM me and I'll get you on the list for this next batch. Thanks guys!

Savage42    21

I know you guys will be getting your discs in the next couple days, but I thought I'd add some quality pics. The cut quality (laser) is very good and they fit just like the OEM discs, as I installed them into my diff today. I'm glad I could get them done for you guys, so get them installed and keep up the Hybridz theme....engineered to be feared! :)

Here's the thread on installation: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117818

1-R200LSDClutchDisc-1.jpg

1-R200LSDClutchDisc-2.jpg

1-R200LSDClutchDisc-3.jpg

PETEW    1

Gary,

Thank you for doing this. I got mine in the mail today and I am dying to start tearing into the diff now. Thanks for taking all the effort. I can only imagine the cost that would have been involved if I tried to do this by myself for only a few pieces. I owe you a beer (or whatever your drinking). Thanks, again.

Savage42    21

I'm glad I could help you all out on this one! Just to confirm the info on the "Adding Clutches...." thread, I installed my discs and shimmed it .020" and got a breakaway right between 75-80 lbs. If you get any chatter, you can then add the little bottle of GM friction modifier to get rid of it. I like a little chatter, just so I know it's tight! :)