HybridZ

Introducing myself and my Z's

Hey everyone

I am new to this forum, but not to the Z. My daily driver is a 2003 Touring 350Z. I fell in love with that car and the heritage that came with it. I knew that I wanted a restoration project to work on, and I finally found the right one - the best thing was that it wasn't that far from me (45 minutes). It is a 1975 right hand drive Fairlady Z (280Z equivalent). It has the 240Z engine in it, as the previous owner believed they ran better. He bought the car used in 1984 while he was stationed in Japan and brought it back to the US in 1985. He is the only one that has owned it since then, until now. I plan on making a lot of upgrades (paint, engine, interior, the works) over the next few years. I will definitely be posting up and contributing to the community. I'll need some help finding those hard-to-find parts.

Well, here are the pics.

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

Thanks in advance to all the comments, suggestions, and help!

Mike

I just bought the RHD Z today actually.

This is what the owner has told me are the mods:

Jim Cook (he was unsure) air dam

Couldn't remember the wing

Speedshop wheels he got for $100, plus BF Goodrich tires

Dropped in 240Z engine (is that the L26?)

Headers unknown brand

Exhaust unknown brand

Custom roll cage

Subs, speakers, 10 cd holder + kenwood headunit

Not sure what else, other than paint. Originally the car was white.

The 350Z:

I am the 2nd owner

Jim Wolf Technology S1 Cams

Injen RD CAI

Topspeed headers

Strup test pipes

Borla true dual exhaust

Greddy E-manage blue

Luff M1 Wheels 20x8.5 front & 20x10.5 rears

Toyo TIR Proxes

Tein S-techs lowering springs

Hotchkis anti-sway bars

Tommy Kaira front bumper (1 of 6 in the US I know of)

Seibon TS hood

Corbeau A4 Microsuede black & grey racing seats

Other small stuff

Dyno'd at 230whp on dynopack, estimated 280 whp on a dynojet, we'll see.

I am thinking of putting a VQ35DE or VG30DETT into the car eventually, and painting it Lemans Sunset (350Z burnt orange color).

Any advice on those things?

very nice! and i saw that Z on ebay

which Z? the RHD? I don't think he put it on ebay... i found it through mautofieds.com and looked on ebay. If the 350 is on ebay that is a big problem lol.

only one person running the vg30dett with the twin turbos and he hasnt solved the steering shaft issues as of yet. And theres only a few vq35de swaps up and running into an s30. Dare I say less than 5? Anyways good luck!

Is there a thread that centralizes the VQ engine issues? I saw one go into a 260 but the thread hadn't been updated for a long time. If it is that technically challenging I know a great 350Z/G35 shop I could take it to that they would help me out.

Anyway what is the major problem with the VQ? I thought that would be popular.

240Hoke is getting ready to do the vq35de swap. I guess most people have not done it because of the cost of the motor is similar to an ls1 and you get less hp and its harder (in some peoples opinions) to get big power from the vq.

which Z? the RHD? I don't think he put it on ebay... i found it through mautofieds.com and looked on ebay. If the 350 is on ebay that is a big problem lol.

Is there a thread that centralizes the VQ engine issues? I saw one go into a 260 but the thread hadn't been updated for a long time. If it is that technically challenging I know a great 350Z/G35 shop I could take it to that they would help me out.

Anyway what is the major problem with the VQ? I thought that would be popular.

Dropped in 240Z engine (is that the L26?)

Nissan made it real simple for us.

240Z = 2.4 liter = L24

260Z = 2.6 liter = L26

280Z = 2.8 liter = L28

Later year 280Z cars that were fuel injected were a L28E, E standing for EFI.

Nissan still uses the same way of coding their engines today.

And just a word of warning, I'm nowhere near, nor profess to be, any type of Z historian. There are others on this site that know truck loads more than me. I've only been into Z's since aboue 6 months before my registration date on this site ;)

Nissan made it real simple for us.

240Z = 2.4 liter = L24

260Z = 2.6 liter = L26

280Z = 2.8 liter = L28

Later year 280Z cars that were fuel injected were a L28E, E standing for EFI.

Nissan still uses the same way of coding their engines today.

And just a word of warning, I'm nowhere near, nor profess to be, any type of Z historian. There are others on this site that know truck loads more than me. I've only been into Z's since aboue 6 months before my registration date on this site ;)

whoops, yeah, i wasn't thinking when I typed that. Thanks for the info tho.