HybridZ

Proportioning Valve Problems

Guest mzllodr

Guest mzllodr

My Nissan dealer says my 1980 280ZX needs a replacement proportioning valve. He's replaced all 4 brakes and calipers, had the proportioning valve off 3x and he feels that's the problem. When the brakes are applied the car will either stop straight, pull sharply to the left, have no rear brakes, or one or the other, unpredictable, but mostly pulls to the left sharply.

We can't find an after market nor an original valve.

Any ideas. The car is factory "cherry" otherwise. I've owned for over 18 years.

We've replaced the master cylinder, all pads and rotors, all calipers, checked the vacuum system, everything. Every time the proportioning valve is removed the valve is never centered, always ot one side or the other.

Last time, also, when I put the brakes on hard the pedal went down a little (normal) then felt like it hit a "stop", and the car slowly stopped in about 10'. No wheel sliding if the brakes are put on hard either.

PLEASE HELP.

What do you guys suggest, and where can I find a proportioning valve ???

Thanks

Dick Brees

mzllodr@iowatelecom.net

515-707-3547

Wlecome to HybridZ. It may be time to search for someone parting out a car here IF you really need the prop valve. Lots of people do that here. I am 99% sure that the proportioning valve proportions front to back pressure not left to right so look elsewhere for the pulling to the left problem. Try checking the alignment, suspension links and bushings. Check all the lines for kinks and replace the rubber lines. Try a different mechanic too. Brakes on a 1980ZX are not rocket science and should be pretty easy to get right for a seasoned mechanic. Seriously, take it to someone else.

Also are you sure he used the CORRECT master cylinder. Maybe he used an earlier one where the lines front to back are reversed I think. <--not sure about this but research should clarify.

Guest mzllodr
If the 280ZX has the same prop valve as the 260/280Z I have a used one you can have (just pay shipping). Cant say I know 100% its condition but it should be fine.

- Greg -

Greg, I'll take it. Let me know how much to send for postage, and I'd be happy to give you some $$ in addition. Thanks. It seems odd to me that with all the other cars running out there, mine has to have a problem with a part that isn't available any more. Even Motorsports and Black Dragon couldn't help me. You can send me an e-mail on the postage to mzllodr@iowatelecom.net, or send the part and I'll send you the money back to: Dick Brees 511 Orchard Ave, Chariton, Iowa 50049. Thanks again, this forum is great !!!

Dick, I think the 280ZX has disc brakes and therefore a different prop valve, right? If that's the case I dont think mine will help you. I did notice there is a 280ZX at our local pick and pull -- not sure if the valve is still there but I can swing by and grab it for you. Knowing them they'll want $20 for it. If you do have drums in the rear then my 260z valve may still work.

- Greg -

• 2 weeks later...