HybridZ

making the dash fully fabric?

k3werra

has anyone tried covering there dash in suede like material by themselves? I was thinking of using like head liner material with the foam backing on one side and heat resistant glue. but the contours is probably the biggest problem of making it work

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to do the same thing. I think that going with synthetic (alcantara) would be a lot easier, as leather (suede) needs to be wet, formed and heat dried if you want it to conform and stretch around a contour.

I just need to find a place where they sell alcantara in my region and some books or someone who'll show me how it's supposed to be done.

I'd also ike to do the contour of my door panels with the same stuff and the flat center part, done in brushed aluminum or carbon fiber. Head liner would be alcantara too.

• 4 weeks later...
any updates? i really want to do something like this as well and wanted to know how hard it is to do yourself.. keep me posted

I had my dash as well as all the plastic panels covered in Soft Touch vinyl which simulates a fine soft leather. I would rate it 10+ on the difficulty scale. 10 being the most difficult. Unless you are a expert upholsterer, covering the dash is best left up to a quality oriented professional.

PDR_21081.JPG

P10100133.JPG

P10100081.JPG

As far as interior updation....keeping the the original concepts and using current materials that may be the case. Putting it out of reach however is a subjective term. It just takes the desire to spend the money.

What impresses me are the members who are doing the innovations with the drive trains and suspensions for these cars.

I see you have a darker color around the cluster, is it just a different color or is it a different material????

It's kind of hard to see on the pictures...

By the way, that is simply awe inspiring.

Yes... it is black (Soft Touch Vinyl) and the reason is the silver gray was wrinkling around the circles and contours. The black with its different texture was easier to get to conform. As it turned out it really gives it a distinctive appearance.

That is a beautiful dash!!! (not to mention equally gorgeous interior) I just coughed up the 12 benjamins for a new (stock) one. I imagine the work to cover yours was close to that expense???

Another question/concern is, can you get the smaller stock fuel/temp guages and clock installed from the rear with that setup, or do you have to purchase new ones that load in from the front?