HybridZ

making the dash fully fabric?

k3werra

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recieved the samples in the mail and well....lets just say that they are no where near a product that could be likened to suede. Although it is resiliant and looks good it is not what I am looking for. The material has more of a velvet/valoure feel to it. It is soft but the texture is not like suede. I know tha tI have seen this product before and I finally placed it.....it is more commonly used in ashtrays, or in compartments as a liner of sorts. so the search continues for a more suede product.......or just cover the dash in suede......

I recieved the samples in the mail and well....lets just say that they are no where near a product that could be likened to suede. Although it is resiliant and looks good it is not what I am looking for. The material has more of a velvet/valoure feel to it. It is soft but the texture is not like suede. I know tha tI have seen this product before and I finally placed it.....it is more commonly used in ashtrays, or in compartments as a liner of sorts. so the search continues for a more suede product.......or just cover the dash in suede......

Sorry I guess I was not direct enough when I said this stuff is definitely not the same as suede. It will look good on accents, but not something I would want everywhere. Like I said, I imagine that corvette dash is pretty ugly LOL.

Let us know what you find, I suspect that you will end up having someone do it in real suede.

Evan

For anyone in the Southern Ontario area that wants work like this done, contact Tom's Upholstry in Brantford. They do amazing work. A friend of mine had a complete interior for his Del Sol done, custom stitched dash, doors, other parts covered, some parts dyed, new carpet etc, for less than $2000 CDN IIRC.

I'll be using them for much of my interior when I get that far and much of mine will be custom parts.

I'm torn on the suede, I like it, but I've not be a big fan of that much stitching on a dash. A little bit is ok, but that's getting to be too much.

I like the idea of the other dash, I may do something similar in a different colour combination, probably combine different materials.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for the tip on the Brantford shop six_shooter. I dont care much for suede.....as leather would be my choice. I always wanted a leather covered dash and console. I may drag my extra dash and console down to them for an estimate.

I just got a sample from Alsa. I like the soft touch paint and I am Seriously considering using it for my dash cap and center consolue......I am going to use some of it to paint some pieces in my Tundra first to see how it holds up to daily use first........there are some interior pieces that I want to change colors ( pieces that are black I want gray to match the rest of the interior...). I will post up how they come out........The search continues..

I just got a sample from Alsa. I like the soft touch paint and I am Seriously considering using it for my dash cap and center consolue......I am going to use some of it to paint some pieces in my Tundra first to see how it holds up to daily use first........there are some interior pieces that I want to change colors ( pieces that are black I want gray to match the rest of the interior...). I will post up how they come out........The search continues..

Are you planning on using the spray cans or a gun? I'm pretty interested in that stuff too. Where'd you get the sample, on their web site or call them?

I actually called them and got a sample in the mail. I am thinking I can make a make-shift booth in my garage over a weekend and spray a few pieces with their cans....to start with. If that doesn't work then I will talk to a guy I konw that paints to see what he would charge me to spray other pieces if I provide the material......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Personally, that dash doesn't really look very clean to me. Looks like a crappy cover or something. Maybe it's just me, but i'd prefer stock.
I agree. The fabric looks like it was improperly cut and measured or something, the stitches don't seem to follow the lines of the dash very closely.

• 1 month later...