HybridZ

keys

Guest bigrobtharhino

Guest bigrobtharhino

i just purchased a 81 280zxt for $40 of course its been sittin a while, 5 years or more in the sandy plains of north tx by lubbock. the deal is it has no keys i was wondering if everything uses the same key(ignition, doors, hatch, and gas cap) so i could get a key made by taking the gas cap to a locksmith. i've already checked the glove box and console for key code but the stickers are missing. i'd appriciate any help i could get.

My '79 back when had one key for all three... but I dont think the gas key cylinder would be the best to take for keying... for that matter, I believe you could just go to a Nissan dealership with a title or bill of sale and the VIN number, they should be able to make new keys from the VIN.

Original Key code for the car is located on the rear hatch lock as well as the passenger door lock. It's alot easier to access the hatch lock since you don't have to remove the window glass. Remove the rearmost interior panel, then remove the 2 10 mm bolts holding the license plate light assembly. Once you remove the assembly, the key code will be visibly stamped on the side of the lock. You do not have to remove the lock to read it. Look for MXXXX where XXXX equals 5000-6999. So long as the locks haven't been changed, take that code to a competent local locksmith and he should be able to cut keys for you.

Hope it helps.

Warren