HybridZ

Multiple engines

Guest TeamNissan

• 4 years later...

So for those curious about what Tony is mentioning, I believe this is it:

coupler_zpsff3c459e.png

Only costs about $1,000 from places like this:

http://www.ecompressedair.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=046999&manufacturer=Sullair

At first I was like, "Tony, I can make one for much less than that.".... and then I realized that I wouldn't want to. Not if someone has already done the research and testing to find the right materials and such. A solid coupling would be easy, but something with rubber like posted in the video by Josh... that's a whole different story. Again, doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to be balanced and do it's best to keep the motors from killing each other.

If you get the motors mounted SOLIDLY together, then a solid coupler would work, and be very easy to fashion, which would be the way I'd go personally.

I wouldn't be surprised if he used a rubber ring from a driveshaft. I've seen them on Alfa driveshafts and I see them a lot on older Formula Fords. The two other metal pieces can be made on a lathe. Looks like the tri-bolt flanges were welded onto their hubs, and tri-bolt flanges are very driveshaft-esque....

Edited by josh817

As you note from the Sullair manual, there is a bit more to alignment than slapping it together and saying "perfect alignment"!

The rubber coupling has FAR more angular misalignment tolerance than a solid coupler, and cushions impulses from one crankshaft to the next.

A Solid coupling takes on VERY critical angular alignment requirements...

Also, Josh, the axle couplings you see on FF Halibrand Gearboxes are from the Smaller Sullair 24KT series... I think the outlying element is the same as the 75Hp units.

I forget the manufacturer right now, but I know where they go! I just had a big discussion elsewhere about "site identification" of components...

Edited by Tony D