HybridZ

Aaron 75280z 1975 280zt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I figured out the sound I was getting low on fuel when I took the video a top off fixed that sound almost immediately. So it seems that when it gets low on fuel it gets a bit of air or something in the lines and makes that racket.

Also I figured out my hesitation on acceleration was caused by a mis-tuned acceleration enrichment in MegaSquirt. I have been fiddling a lot with my VE tables and the car is becoming so much more of a pleasure to drive.

I had almost forgotten how much I loved this car. I have driven it daily since the beginning of August to include all the rain and even a tiny bit of hail and have been loving it. I still haven't figured out why my fuel gauge fuse keeps blowing and taking my Tachometer with it. To be fair though I haven't opened up the FSM either so it is really mainly based on my laziness. I really want to get some video's with my camera tucked under the car somewhere maybe like rear suspension so I can see what it looks like when I drive her around, any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
Update: Alright I wanted to give all people an idea of how I made the determination of my short in the electrical system.

Situation: The Fuel Gauge fuse kept blowing, and it was intermittent (which is the worst type of problem)

Possible Cause 1: Alternator going bad and over charging the system overloading that fuse causing it to blow. Testing Cause - I have the ability to datalog so I left the fuse blown and did several datalogs to and from work then would check max voltage later. This turned out to look just fine on the datalog, so I moved on to a more frustrating, though albeit cheaper testing method.

Possible Cause 2: a short in the wiring somewhere. Testing Cause - I started at the fuse, working my way up the wiring harness I isolated the rear section of the car from the front it still blew the fuse. I then separated the tach from the circuit, the fuse still blew. It was at this point that I moved inboard from the extremes of the wiring harness and started stripping the loom and tracing the wires and all of the splices in it (from factory mind you). This was done visually as well as with a continuity tester on the voltmeter. I then separated at the wiring junctions under the dash and found that it was leading to the engine bay. I then inspected the engine bay and found the culprit. It was a filter capacitor that fatigued at the factory crimp and fell off and shorted against the fender. 

If I were making a suggestion I would suggest doing a visual inspection first as this could have saved me a ton of time, as the break was very noticeable. 

I am an Electrical Engineering Technician by schooling and I still get frustrated by electrical gremlins, but tackled this very easily by going step by step and being very methodical. 

Pictures:

The fuse box

20140927_160805.jpg

The offending circuit

20140927_160827.jpg

20140927_160847.jpg

20140927_160918.jpg

Found it!

20140927_160947.jpg

Then I fixed it! THe car is ready for the track!

20140927_180112.jpg

Bonus the wife and I celebrated the 67th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force at a Ball the night before. We looked fancy and I don't normally just post pictures of myself so I figured I would change it up a bit.

20140926_235404-1.jpg

Edited by 75280z

Another session. This was the 3rd session for D group. I am getting better at race render, but I am not skilled enough at Youtube editing to get rid of the half second water mark at the end of each 3 minute clip. I changed the track to show my fast and slowest spots.

The car ran great, and I got black flagged because I passed when I shouldn't. It was still a fun run!

Edited by 75280z

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The reason I haven't been working on the Z is because life and work have been getting in the way. Oh and I have been gathering karts for me and the kids, as well as doing a lot more projects around the house. Also I have been doing a bit more of this. I have a video of the first day I took the kart out. I have since taken it out for quite a bit of fun, clocked it at over 40MPH. This karting thing can be very fun.

• 2 months later...

Another year has gone by and all that I have done is change the front brake discs and pads. I took it out to High Plains Raceway and shaved about 2 seconds off my fastest time out there so far from 2:29 to 2:27. I got that while hitting a lower top speed by a few MPH. I really have gotten more comfortable with the car and it is definitely nice to learn the limits of the car. I pushed myself much harder than I ever have in the past, and I took some video, but really it is pretty boring to watch. I am sure I will do a bit of editing, but the app I was using no longer allows me to export the data for free it only lets me do 2 minutes which is no good. 

• 2 years later...

This car is still around and awesome. I drive her daily currently. This summer I have installed a new rubber shift boot, and replaced a brake light. I also got new wheels and tires for her last month as the tires that were on it were getting pretty bald. 

30694952258_9581eaf289_k.jpg

30694952278_4db04f9e9e_k.jpg

43846974154_a881278e4d_k.jpg

29627258997_2908bf2e95_k.jpg

42756008900_1130165e49_k.jpg

42756008880_5b4de587c3_k.jpg

• 3 months later...

Alright a quick update. I had my door handle break last month. Just fatigue over the last ~43 years. 

- Door handles ordered from FutoFab

- Inner Fuzzy pieces ordered from MSA

- Outer Squeegees ordered (they are NLA currently from MSA so I had those cancelled from MSA)

What I have done recently

- Replaced the door handle

- Adjusted the drivers door to close tighter and then adjusted the window frame where it sits against the weatherstripping (Can't believe I never noticed that before)

What I am planning on doing soon:

- Add a tiny bit of sound deadening inside the door

- Replace the inner fuzzy trim on the window

- Add in a new moisture seal

- Reattach the door panel

• 3 weeks later...

The video is pretty long sorry. I replaced the door handle, replace the inner fuzzy sill piece, adjust the angle of the upper window frame, add sound deadener, make a new moisture barrier from a shower curtain, and replace the clips on the door panel.  

Edited by 75280z