HybridZ

Aaron 75280z 1975 280zt

Alright I finished it almost today. I got it back running completely hooked up the fan relay, all that is left is a bit of tidying on the drivers side and taking it for some test drives. This has been a satisfying project and done on the cheap since I was mainly extending wires. I hope you guys enjoy, next will be the Ron Tyler Differential mount.The one wire that remains is the tach signal for the gauge I will get that hooked up tomorrow.

How she sits in the garage.
100_1538.jpg

Look at all this space that was being taken up!

100_1541.jpg

100_1539.jpg

Battery is as tidy as it is going to get.

100_1540.jpg

Under the dash doesn't look to bad.

100_1543.jpg

Comparison of how it was and how it is now.

Before:

424209_10100482764019002_397367854_n.jpg

395893_10100482763929182_268076909_n.jpg

After:

100_1542.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put it all back together, but the pictures will have to wait. It started up and was running fine, so I decided I would drive it to work. When I started driving yesterday morning the dash lights were very dim, well somehow I have a wire that is shorted or pulling way to much current and de-soldered itself from the light switch so I have found the wire down in the console loom that loops back into the loom, and am trying to figure out what it runs. I have the FSM but can't quite tell why it is important. So burnt wires aside it is running great (as long as the dash lights aren't on)

• 1 month later...

Update time!

So I found the short a while back on the dash lights I had hooked up two wires that were not to be hooked up. I got a new camera and I am using the time lapse to better capture the work I do on the car.

Timelapse of the first day of my working on the Z this time. I have a Ron Tyler Diff mount as well as a lightened flywheel to add. What was accomplished in order
- Removed Exhaust
- Removed Heat Shield
- Removed Front Differential Mount
- Removed Drive Shaft
- Drained Transmission Fluid

Video was a time lapse shot with a CamOne Infinity with a picture taken every 10 Seconds, and the video was converted at 6 FPS so in essence it is one minute per second. I hope you enjoy I will hopefully be updating daily. Until this portion of the project is done. There is no audio and I don't want to add music because that usually just annoys someone.

First I have to clean the garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fRD3knMhX8

Then the work commences

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noyyaos3SPE

Today I lost a few pieces and banged up my finger a bit. It was a good day got a bit accomplished. I am not in a rush as the car really won't be going out much more this winter. A reminder I still have a lightened flywheel to install, the differential mount was changed today!
What I did today
- Removed remainder of old differential mount
- Installed Ron Tyler Diff mount
- Removed the Starter
- Removed the bolts holding the trans to the Engine
- Removed Trans Tunnel Mounts
- Removed Shifter (and attempted to bend it more towards driver)
- Removed Rear Sway Bar (going to try it for a bit without it)
- Removed Clutch Slave Cylinder
- Removed Speedo Cable.

Timelapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gohAMiBcDo&feature=youtu.be

I got the transmission off today! I smashed only 1 finger! I got the clutch off too. I am going to attempt to clean the transmission off before I put her back in. Since winter is pretty much here I am not in a huge rush to get this stuff done.
What I did:
- Removed Transmission
- Removed Clutch
- Learned my air impact gun isn't up to snuff!

I am going to research how to get the flywheel off, and I am going to look at clutches because mine seems to be getting a little low on surface material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVtjCfSHmy8

I need a cheater bar that fits under the car! I have the flywheel secure with an 11mm wrench, but still don't have enough leverage. SO I started cleaning the underside of the car, as well as parts I took off. I don't have any gas left in my gas jug so I have to go buy some more that will help me clean up all these parts. I am also going to try and pick up some engine de-greaser to help with the cleaning as well. I removed probably a pound or more of caked on oil/dirt today! What I did:
- Failed to remove flywheel (I didn't try that hard, but I smashed my hand and gave up)
- Started cleaning off the caked on oil from the under side of the car 
- Started cleaning transmission
- Started cleaning heat shield

Specs photos shot with the timelapse feature of CamOne Infinity action camera. 1 picture per 5 seconds, stitched together at 6 frames per second or 30 seconds is 1 second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7akf2WMvoY

I am leaning more towards that, I have a small electric impact that I got a while back and I love it, but it was meant for driving long screws not taking crank bolts out. I borrowed a buddies impact gun so if it takes it out I might have to invest in a good gun, The problem is I move with the military and hate having to drag thousands of pounds of tools if I don't have to. I cleaned up the transmission today, It was pretty disgusting. I also put some work into cleaning the underside of the car. There is a mixture of undercoating and caked on oil and dirt that are coming off, and will be replaced by some rubberized coating later most likely.

A before and after shot sorry I didn't get an up close shot before. It is still not perfect, but at least I can put my hands on it without them coming back black.

FILE0692.jpg

FILE0728.jpg

gILE0552.jpg
Today's work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP4XX6VCME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPSfUh507RU

Edited by 75280z

I tried the heat, maybe not long enough, it ended up just coming loose with a lot of leverage.

Woot!
Got the flywheel off today! I borrowed a impact wrench (Thanks Blake Batts), it still didn't get it off, so I remembered I had a torque ratchet (Also from Blake Batts) that was pretty long and just used my huge guns to break those things loose.
It went OK today. I am shedding5 lbs of weight with the new flywheel I haven't ever driven a car with a lightened flywheel and I have been driving this car for over 10 years so I am interested to see how this goes.
- Removed Flywheel
- Weighed them 23.2-18.2 that is 5.1 pounds difference I am interested to see if it is noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YiawalVYV0

I cleaned some more on the trans, I also picked up all of the loctite and new flywheel bolts

What I did today:

- Picked up Flywheel Bolts

- Picked up gear oil

- Picked up Loctite

- Cleaned on the transmission

- Finished scraping the underside

The goal was never to completely clean the underside, but to remove some of the caked on crap right around the transmission to make it not so disgusting down there.

CamOne Infinity, 1 picture per 5 secondsI cleaned some more on the trans, I also picked up all of the loctite and new flywheel bolts

What I did today:

- Picked up Flywheel Bolts

- Picked up gear oil

- Picked up Loctite

- Cleaned on the transmission

- Finished scraping the underside

The goal was never to completely clean the underside, but to remove some of the caked on crap right around the transmission to make it not so disgusting down there.

CamOne Infinity, 1 picture per 5 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fiEi9kL9F0

Question are people actually liking these timelapses or are they annoying? I love them so I am gonna keep doing them, but I don't necessarily have to post them here.

Again I did some cleaning on the Transmission. What I got done today.

- Finished Cleaning Trans and a few assorted parts

- Installed Flywheel

- Installed Clutch

All the flywheel bolts were installed with red Loctite, and the clutch bolts were done with blue Loctite. Today was a tedious day, but I am very close to putting the trans back in and then it should go back together quite quickly after that. I am glad that the transmission is finally clean and the clutch and flywheel are back on the car.

Before!

FILE0692.jpg

After!

FILE0454.jpg

FILE0456.jpg

FILE0462.jpg

The Timelapse you all know and love!

Looks like a great build you've got going here! I for one think that the timelapse is pretty neat.

I just went through replacing all my bushings and I agree, it is not a pleasant job at all. I ended up having the spindle pins pressed out and it was the best money I ever spent haha. The shop told me they were a b!tch and they even broke their press! Unfortunately I've been trying to track down a squeak in my rear suspension ever since, but it was still worth it.

I replaced the suspension with stock KYBs since they don't make Tokicos anymore and just the bushings make a big difference. I will be going with a weld-on coilover kit later after I get my car back from the paint shop in like January.

I've only had my car for a year and change, so you're quite a long ways ahead of me on the road to restoration, and its good to see detailed pictures of the processes you're going through. Nothing can quite compare to a picture when you're talking about something on a car in my mind, and to that end your thread delivers. I might also add that its nice to see how you go through all of your work without a welder and a private machine shop like most of the other people on HybridZ seem to, I like to see how to do things as us mere mortals must do them with hand tools and swearing haha. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

11/29/13

I tried to make a cradle to allow me to pick up my transmission it didn't work. This took place over a couple days, I cleaned some parts and painted them, most importantly I got the transmission back on.

What I did.

- Re-installed transmission

- Grumbled under my breath about that transmission a lot!

12/1/13

Today I put a lot of the extra bits back on the transmission. I didn't get it all captured as my camera died.

What I did

- Installed transmission mount (It took a very long time)

- Installed driveshaft

- Filled transmission with fluid.

- Re attached the Speedometer cable.

Looks like a great build you've got going here! I for one think that the timelapse is pretty neat.

I just went through replacing all my bushings and I agree, it is not a pleasant job at all. I ended up having the spindle pins pressed out and it was the best money I ever spent haha. The shop told me they were a b!tch and they even broke their press! Unfortunately I've been trying to track down a squeak in my rear suspension ever since, but it was still worth it.

I replaced the suspension with stock KYBs since they don't make Tokicos anymore and just the bushings make a big difference. I will be going with a weld-on coilover kit later after I get my car back from the paint shop in like January.

I've only had my car for a year and change, so you're quite a long ways ahead of me on the road to restoration, and its good to see detailed pictures of the processes you're going through. Nothing can quite compare to a picture when you're talking about something on a car in my mind, and to that end your thread delivers. I might also add that its nice to see how you go through all of your work without a welder and a private machine shop like most of the other people on HybridZ seem to, I like to see how to do things as us mere mortals must do them with hand tools and swearing haha. Keep up the good work!

There was most certainly some swearing when the transmission went back in. I tried a few things, but finally went with the tried and true armstrong and leg strong method to get it back in there. I think you are moving the right way. The first step to making these cars amazing in my opinion is tightening up the bushings and suspension it just makes the drive so much rewarding. I am actually at a point now with the car that I am mainly looking for things to do cheap. The reason is because I really need to invest in an intercooler and a boost controller, but I am trying to sort everything out with the brakes and suspension first.

The suspension I picked up slightly used I got a great deal, and put it in last winter was a great experience.

I am still in love with this car and love that I still get such a kick out of owning it, and driving it.

Guys this car is awesome! I took it for a spin around the block (No vid) I need to get the Webers sold so I can finance some winter purchases. I think brakes, maybe intercooler and a MBC are in my future. This car is great and I am having a blast with it lately.

I got the car back on the ground today, and even took it for a spin!

What I did:

- Installed Rear brace

- Installed Heat Shield

- Installed Exhaust

- Installed Starter

- Installed Shifter and shifter boots

- Put it back on the ground

I took it for a little spin, but didn't record it. I have a strict don't make a video leaving my house rule to put on the internet. It isn't that I don't like you internet people I just know there be some crazies out there.

What is on the to do list now? Glad you asked.

To Do:

- Transmission to Crossmember bushings (I found them while digging through stuff, don't know why I didn't do this when I did the bushings a year ago.)

- Find/make a new shift boot. I have a sewing machine (Well my wife does) and I think I am tired of seeing that hole in my console is getting old.

- Still looking at a big break kit for the front. I upgraded once, but I don't think it sheds heat well enough.

The weather is getting nasty here, like highs of 18 or 19 so I am going to stay inside for a bit.

Timelapse below.

The video of the first start

Some pictures from the process.

The rear crossmember mount out.

100_1547.jpg

The rear crossmember getting stripped

100_1554.jpg

100_1555.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1557.jpg

100_1556.jpg

100_1558.jpg

Painting the transmounts and rear crossmember mount.

100_1561.jpg

100_1562.jpg

100_1546.jpg

100_1560.jpg

The underside after installing the transmission crossmember. I think it looks much better under there now.

Ron Tyler mount.

100_1548.jpg

Ebrake as tight as I can get it and it still has to come to the highest click to work.

100_1550.jpg

100_1549.jpg

THe transmission. The picture shows all of the imperfections, but man this transmission is so much cleaner now!

100_1552.jpg

100_1553.jpg

• 6 months later...

There is more updates, but I have been posting them mainly at Ratsun.net I will try and update here, maybe tomorrow.

The car has been good to me lately we went on a drive today this was the route, and here is a video there are more, but they are pretty boring honestly. Lots of stops along the way. I gave the engine a nice rev in one of the tunnels.

Zdrive.png

Edited by 75280z