HybridZ

Newbie sayin' hello

Guest 280zxfromdiego

Guest 280zxfromdiego

I just joined the forums, so I thought I would post and say hello.

Well, through misfortune and a bit of luck, I've found myself to be in possession of a 1982 280zx turbo. Of course the first thought in my head was: HYBRID

But it needs bit of work before I can even begin to think about CSB vs. FSB.

Heres the interesting thing about the car: one owner (a wife and husband). They just donated it to a museum, but it was too new for them (the newest model at the museum is a model T). So they fixed it up, it passed smog with flyin' colours and put it on craigslist for $900.

Theres a little bit of surface rust on the car, but no real cancer to speak of (or atleast that I've found) but I won't be able to give the car a real once over for another two weeks (going out of town). Anyways, enough with all that. I know the way it goes in auto forums (search, keep searching, bang your head on the table and read a book, then search, finally ask a question).

Anyways, I'll post some pictures of the car once I get the time (car should be prep'ed and primed in about 3 weeks).

I know the way it goes in auto forums (search, keep searching, bang your head on the table and read a book, then search, finally ask a question).

hahah, if that ain't the truth.....

anyway, just let me know when you're ready to part with that turbo motor.....

gaah! i'm always on CL! how did i miss that?!?

oh ya, and WELCOME!

• Administrators
I just joined the forums, so I thought I would post and say hello.....

I know the way it goes in auto forums (search, keep searching, bang your head on the table and read a book, then search, finally ask a question)......

giggle.gif

Boy oh boy. You instantly made friends amongst the Admins hug.gif

(now how do we impart that bit of wisdom to the rest of the newguys?...)

Welcome aboard..

Welcome to the board. If you did want to swap the engine, I think some owners of olders Z's look for newer Z engine to swap into their cars. That's who I'll be looking for when I pull my engine.

Guest 280zxfromdiego

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Like I stated (though not clearly) in my post, I'm not even going to think about touchin' it till I get the rest of it in-line (interior, exterior, shocks, brakes in that order). The most I will probably do is find what lines to snip or re-route to make the car run more efficient, thats what first brought me here because this is a pure performance driven forum for Z's so I figured this would be a good place to start.

I mean not to talk smack about some peoples skill base, but I don't need a forum to tell me how to unscrew a dash... its a dash...with screws...

Performance on the other hand is a different thing. I use to own a 240sx (s13HB w/ a KA24E) and I got pretty handy working on that; but this is a bit different, straight six with a turbo (190K on it all) and a t-5 trannie... right now its running like sludge (but gets 19 miles MPG) but hopefully when I get back from my trip I will do something to improve that.

That and I am in california and I like to remain legal, so if I want to do the swap I really want (mustang 5.0 w/ t-56 cause its bullet proof) then I need to learn how to get all the emissions junk on it and do it right.

Anyways, I'll get pictures here for ya'll so you can see my too-dirty-zx soon.

I know the way it goes in auto forums (search, keep searching, bang your head on the table and read a book, then search, finally ask a question).

giggle.gif

Boy oh boy. You instantly made friends amongst the Admins hug.gif

(now how do we impart that bit of wisdom to the rest of the newguys?...)

Welcome aboard..

Oh, man, ditto that!

If only all newbies had this attitude and didn't think we owed it to them to spoon feed them everything!

Welcome aboard!

The Turbo L6 is a fine engine and quite capable. You might be interested that Scottie-GNZ started with the turbo L6 and an old SBC (don't know which was first), then a Buick GN (Grand National) engine trans, then moved to a 3rd gen RX-7 with 2JZ power. I think he'd tell you they are all fun!

There's enough info on here and other related sites to get a ton of info on the pros/cons of all the engine swaps - it just comes down to a matter of preference as they are ALL VALID and most are capable of taxing the chassis, driver, tires, etc. to the point of near insanity anyway.

We're about being open minded here, and most of us could care less about the brand name of the engine we use. The fuel and air and tires don't care so why should we? LOL.

Again, Welcome!

Guest 280zxfromdiego

We're about being open minded here, and most of us could care less about the brand name of the engine we use. The fuel and air and tires don't care so why should we? LOL.

What a breath of fresh air.

Yea I took some time to poke around here; The seat swap threads here are pretty nice; 80's bmw 380i seats in a 280zx... that was sexy.

• Administrators
Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

You are very much welcome.

I mean not to talk smack about some peoples skill base, but I don't need a forum to tell me how to unscrew a dash... its a dash...with screws...

laugh.gif YEAH BABY!! Love it! Do you mind if I use a variation of that line the next time someone asks “how hard is it to remove a dash speaker?”

Guest 280zxfromdiego

LOL go right ahead.

I mean, there is a difference between saying: "Hey I know X is relatively easy, but I've never done it: what kind of problems will I run into"

And

"I haven't tried to do this, nor have I even looked at it, but can you give me a step by step instruction set complete with pictures and all sources noted. Oh yea, if you could just print that out in a hard back book and send it to me along with the parts I'd appreciate it"

Don't get me wrong, on the NICO forums I made TONS of noob mistakes, but ya gotta draw a line somewhere.

Alright, I'm done noob hatin' cause I will probably post some relatively stupid questions here soon LOL.

"There are no stupid questions, just informed, uniformed, lazy, or frequently asked ones."

Some of the best responses with really good technical thinking and investigation have come from seemingly "stupid" questions. As long as it's not a Frequently Asked Question that the answers are found for easily by searching here or on other quality automotive forums, books, etc., and it has to do with performance or non-stock styling, etc., and it's related to Z's, I think it's fine to ask.

Doing homework before you ask, and showing how you've done it when you ask is the first step to getting quality help or input. The best thing to do is find a thread that is very highly related to what you want to know, maybe the same question that really didn't get answered well, or maybe you think it's a stale answer. Then make a post in that thread that shows you read it, bring up the salient points, and try to focus the question towards a direction you need enlightenment or opinions on.

If everyone did that, there would be so many fewer repeat posts, and the searching would be so much faster for the next person.

The people here on HybridZ ARE amazingly wonderful and insightful. I just bought my dad a 1990 Lexus LS400 and can't believe what passes for useful posts. A discussion over octane requirements only had ONE mention of compression ratio in 17 posts, and they all swear that a higher octane rating is better. I for one am very happy to have found a forum with active, knowledgeable admins and members, as well as enforced rules about using proper English.

Three cheers for HybridZ!