HybridZ

9 second RB30 street 240z nearing completion

RIPSNZ

Thought you guys might be interested to see a road legal 240z were doing here for Pro street drag racing in NZ.

The car will be fully road legal, run on 98 pump gas and run on DOT street tyres, we are initially going for 9's and will see what happens after that.

Before unloading for work to begin:

rips240zexterior005uz3.jpg

Dummying up the R.I.P.S RB30 mated to a Turbo400 race transmission:

rips240zenginedummyuppilf0.jpg

rips240zenginedummyuppivl7.jpg

rips240zenginedummyuppiso6.jpg

Fuel cell and posible position of one of the NOS bottles:

rips240zenginedummyuppipm3.jpg

Twin 044 700hp fuel pumps and braided fuel lines:

rips240zenginedummyuppiwz4.jpg

Next comes the engine mounts, custom high capacity drag sump, custom inlet plenim with 90mm billet throttle body, T51Rspl and 50mm wastegate.

I'll update as progress is made,

Rob

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.I.P.S hand made alloy plenim with billet 90mm throttle body, TOMEI fuel rail that will hold 1000cc injectors & turbosmart 1200hp fuel pressure reg:

rips240zenginedummyuppinn3.jpg

rips240zenginedummyuppina1.jpg

T51R spl bb on HKS stainless manifold (good for 1000-1200hp):

rips240zenginedummyuppioz3.jpg

rips240zenginedummyuppiyl2.jpg

More to come shortly.

Rob

I like the setup.

What was the old engine running?

Ran 10.20 @ 134 with trouble getting into top gear, it was a 352 with brodix heads, race this and that, blah blah, sounded nice and crisp, went ok but nothing like a good RB30 does.

I've kept the transmission with high stall and transbrake and hope to beat the low 1.3 60ft's it ran with the small block, just have to sort out a way to stop bending the wheelie bars on the street :icon6:.

"Very Nice"

But why didn't you turbo the V8???

I did think of that but I'm not really an old school V8 fan and the class of racing I want to enter requires the same brand of engine as the body so the chev had to come out.

Maybe if I had a heap of money to spare I'd look at a twin turbo Nissan V8 at some stage as I do admit, a V8 on full song does sound nice.

I think the RB30 will give me enough for now at least:)

Rob

Rob,

I am a local Z Club member - I recognise the 240z - did it used to be in Auckland and owned by ??? Daryl? a large-ish guy?

Any can't wait to see what this will go like when complete - so this is replacing the old work horse that you used to run - ie the car that was in the performance car mag a year or so ago?

There is also another NZ hybridz member that I know who is building a RB30DET - I believe you did his intake plenum too - again his plan is street legal car too - however not a drag strip car.

I have a RB26 head and RB30 bottom end that I will put together one day but with triple TB and NA (just purchased another z so engine budget gone currently)

Great project - look forward to seeing at the Meremere some day

Z-gad, how do you find your transmission, what rpm stall converter do you have and do you have/use the transbrake?

Rob

Sorry for the late reply...

With the TH400 the car acts like a normal auto car on the street. It cruises at 70mph and 3000 rpm's (due to the 3.36 final drive). I got around 20-21 mpg a couple of weeks ago when I drove from Orlando to Clearwater Florida (~ 2 hour drive each way). I run a 4200 stall and launch off of the footbrake with a 100 shot.

Very smooth 8 second pass there!! well done.

Rob

That pass was done with 29-30 psi and a 100 shot. The car still has more in it, as I intend to run 35-36 psi and a 150 shot. I am waiting for the weather to cool off a little, and perhaps a "special occasion" to turn it up :wink:

Great stuff, I'm aiming for 9's to start with then we'll see how we go from there, I imagine the old 240 is not the best at the big end, 150mph+ with its nose up must take alot of power and not feel to good in the steering department I bet? :)

Looks like your 8.9 is the time to beat for a true street driven 240z and in a year or 2 we hope to be close to you, good luck improving on your time, but don't get to much quicker please, give us a chance!!!! :mrgreen:

Rob