HybridZ

9 second RB30 street 240z nearing completion

RIPSNZ

Great stuff, I'm aiming for 9's to start with then we'll see how we go from there, I imagine the old 240 is not the best at the big end, 150mph+ with its nose up must take alot of power and not feel to good in the steering department I bet? :)

Rob

You know, you'd think that, but it is surprisingly stable even at 150+. I think the fact that I am still using the independent rear suspension, allows the car to drive like a sports car. I mean, when the tires start to spin, it is very predictable and easy to drive. Aero mods are in my near future, but so far, so good. :-)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if one of those bolts happens to break..... :/

Maybe you should take a look at a stock engine mount with 2 x M10 studs poking out of a rubber block.

What happens if you tore a stock engine mount?

I've run 10.20's on slicks with NOS (1.4 60fts) in a dirty old 1600kg GTS4 with the original stock rubber mounts that were probably in pretty poor condition due to age and being exposed to oil etc all there life, I never broke one.

The bolts I've used are M12 grade 8.8 which would be strong enough to lift the whole car.

If you truely understood how this design of mount works and thought to yourself "maybe whats in the pic isn't quite all of it" you'd feel much better about it I'm sure.

Rob

If you truely understood how this design of mount works and thought to yourself "maybe whats in the pic isn't quite all of it" you'd feel much better about it I'm sure.

Rob

Right on. They look sturdy as hell, and if they're not done yet, then I'm anxious to see what else you're adding to those things. Where did you get those rubber bushings from anyway?

Could you divulge a bit more on the design of the mounts? Perhaps I'd take some pointers when building my own mounts in the near future

I see nothing wrong with those mounts look like they are plenty for the job.

Well, I never did say anything was wrong with them. I'm in no position to contest.

They just look a little different from the traditional mounts I've seen, and I was wondering what happens if that bolt breaks, or if it will break at all. They do look like the castlemine mounts too.

And they're not finished, so I'm also curious to know what is going to be added to them so I know a thing or two when I build my mounts.

I didn't build the V8 but it was done by a top guy here in NZ, I'm told it made 630hp by 7000rpm but they revd it to 8500 on the strip I think and it got a NZ record for the class it went in so must have been pretty good for its size.

It ran 10.20 in 1450kg and it wouldn't go into top properly, once the trans was sorted they didn't go back.

I took it for a drive and it did go pretty good, very crisp and free revving but it didn't have the top end pull of a turbo 6.

Rob

That engine sounds like it is worth some money! What is the RB's peak horsepower RPM? If that V8 was making 630 at 7,000, is the RB at 8,000? 9,000? 10.2 in a 3200lb car is pretty quick.

They V8 guy was pretty confident of 9.70 - 9.80 on the motor at around 140, if your into V8's it was a sweet motor, sold it for nzd18,000 complete with ignition, fuel system etc, new owner is very happy with the purchase price.

With a pretty good RB30, peek hp is usually around 7500-7800 but we can make 700-750whp by 6500-7000 on pump gas if need be, so I usually only rev to just over 7000.

With the engine for this 240 I intend to push our most common combination 'crate bottom end' to 8500rpm and beyond to find some limits.

7800rpm should give us the 150mph we've set at this stage as our goal.

Rob

Howdy Rob.

The car looks great. Can you let us know when you are heading to the track with it. I am sure there are a few of us here that would like to see it.

Cheers, Douglas

Should be in the next month or so, I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

Rob

Yep i'm dead keen to see it run too!

Nice work Rob, makes me feel very hopeless, when it comes to progress with my car! Oh too have a full on fab shop in the garage (complete with fabricators of your skill) :-)

I noticed you have an HKS header on the car, and not one of your own manifolds, whys that? Your custom headers look supurb on your website.

Clint.

I noticed you have an HKS header on the car, and not one of your own manifolds, whys that? Your custom headers look supurb on your website.

Clint.

Time, or lack of it, I purchased some parts off the heat treatments world record GTR engine and the manifold was part of the deal so I thought I'd use it till I have time to make my own manifold or we change turbo's.

Update time:

The trans has been freshened up (built to take 1000hp at this stage, can upgrade it to hold 1600hp if need be at a later stage)

I've finished the T400 to RB bellhousing conversion, very straight forward, only 2 bellhousing bolts couldn't be used as they were above some of the trans pump bolts so thats not bad at all.

A little bit of messing round getting the larger chev spigot button on the converter to clear the flex plate bolts but with an adapter button everything is now as it should be:

rips240ztransadapted001sq9.jpg

rips240ztransadapted002jz2.jpg

rips240ztransadapted003pa2.jpg

rips240ztransadapted004yt8.jpg

Next up is the custom radiator and 16inch electric fan, a fair bit of work but its come up nice.

After much discussion we agreed to put the engraved top panel on the way it is as the 240's bonnet opens from the back meaning the only way you can look at the motor is from the side and when standing there the engraving is facing the right way:

rips240zradiator001xq0.jpg

rips240zradiator002ig9.jpg

rips240zradiator003fk1.jpg

We'll put an alloy brush finish on the top plate and the tanks and fill the engraving with black and red paint to highlight the engraving.

Next up is the bonnet, the old hood scoop is gone and a steel patch will go in, get filled and shaped nicely and look like nothing ever happend:

rips240zbonnetwithoutscbn2.jpg

Next up is the intercooler, plumbing and trans oil cooler, will post more as we go.

Rob

Hey RIPSNZ, if I read correctly you are making a custom sump?

If so what might you be doing with the old one? Is it already a rear sump? I would definately be interested in it if it is a rear sump and you aren't going to use it.

Cheers.

Nick

We're making a custom rear pan sump starting with a stock Z31/RB20 rear pan sump so sorry, nothing to spare.

Will post pix as we do it.

Rob

aaaah well, can't blame a guy for trying.

Will be interested to see you pix when your sump is being done, I have been thinking about getting mine water cut about half an inch up from the bolt lip right around it, then turning 180 degrees and rewelding the two halves to an adapter plate (because it isn't symetrical). Don't know whether to mess about with that idea or just get a CRS one, very pricey though.

Good luck.

Nick

aaaah well, can't blame a guy for trying.

Will be interested to see you pix when your sump is being done, I have been thinking about getting mine water cut about half an inch up from the bolt lip right around it, then turning 180 degrees and rewelding the two halves to an adapter plate (because it isn't symetrical). Don't know whether to mess about with that idea or just get a CRS one, very pricey though.

Good luck.

Nick

I looked at that too but for the amount of time it would take to piss around it wasn't worth it, much easier to start with a stock rear pan sump (cheap as) and then do a new high capaicty section for it.

There's a thread on here somewhere with the part number for it and I got one for about $200 and sent to me from the US in 4 days, great service from the place I delt with.

Rob