HybridZ

How to remove the wiring in the back of car...

OHHHHHH YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Especialy with an ALL WHITE harness:banghead:

I think Nissan itself tried that for one model year, an all white harness with

the actual color of the wires printed in black on the white wire, imagine trying to figure this out after that harness sat there for a few years, all the glue from the tape collected the dust and when you try to wipe it off, you just sand the prints away... What a good idea.:malebitch

I appreciate the responses that were left concerning my request for help. I didn't exactly fall off the edge of the earth but since my request for assistance with my wiring dilemma, I've had a family crisis so I haven't signed on to HybridZ in the last few days.

Larry,

Thanks for the link concerning a spell checker. I did follow it and read through the thread. The screen I am presently using is identical to the one shown by SuperDan in his post with the exception of the spell checker button. If it matters, I am using "FireFox" on both a PC and a Mac. Both have the identical screen. I'm far from being computer savvy, but maybe I'll figure that out. I don't think it's worth it to me to use MS Exploder just for a spell checker. Until I find a fix, I guess I'll make do with dictionary.com!!!

Dragonfly,

I think you have a better grasp of what my situation is. I wish I had the time and knowledge to post a photo to clarify things! Try this scenario:

You have lost a complete front turn signal light assembly. I give you one, but it only has 3 separate wires with no connector on the end of them! How would you connect it to your wire harness?

I'm not certain that I have clearly explained my situation. I have purchased replacement wire harnesses from front to rear. They are intact and in pristine condition. My problem is that everything that plugs into these harnesses via a "mating connector" has had that half of the "mating connector" cut off and the wires soldered to the "ALL WHITE" wire harness currently in the car. I can install the new harnesses, but nothing on the car has a connector to plug to my new harnesses!!!

As distasteful as it is, my best idea for a quality solution is still a donor car. Even so, another problem arises. There are different wiring harnesses used on different year model cars. There may have even been some changes within the 1972 year model run. It seems that in Datsun's early years, "over-built" parts from the previous year models were used on "transition" vehicles until they were depleted. I think all years will use the same connectors on lights, but turn signal/flashers vary as I understand, wiper motors in '73 Zs are 3 speed while earlier cars are 2 speed. There are probably other subtle differences like lighted heater controls, door switches, volt/amp gauges, ignition resistors, A/C connections, fuse blocks, etc. In any case, I will likely need at least some "mating connectors" from the identical year car in order to match my harnesses.

If this rambling explanation makes any sense to you:

Advance directly to GO - Collect $200!

If you have any ideas to share, I'm still looking for quality solutions that are simple and reasonably inexpensive.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, I am going to make some suggestions to you that are going to test your sanity, but first a little lead in so you will get an idea of what I am talking about first.

Most of the connectors on the 72' are opposites, what that means is that for example you have two connectors side by side and each one is a 3 wire connector, on the harness one connector is a female then the other is a male that way you can not make the connection wrong. Now using that knowledge most (but not all) of the connectors you are going to need are on your current all white harness that is in your car.

Now for the insane part… go to your local electrical supply house (try to find something one or two steps more industrial than Radio Shack) and get a good soldering iron, solder, flux and an assortment of pin removal tools (tell the desk man that you need to remove a variety of pins from automotive connectors). Making judicious use of your digital camera and your new box of paper labels (with strings on them) take pictures of absolutely everything then label absolutely everything (wiring in the car) then pull all the wiring out.

Lay the labeled white wires down next to their corresponding stock harness, copy all your labels and put the new labels on the stock harness. After that is done take more pictures of everything. Now find each connector on the white harness that will fit into a connector on the stock harness, label it with a new and unique label telling you were it will work. After you have done that with every connector available to you use your pin removal tools to remove the pins from the connector (do one at a time from beginning to end), unsolder the pins from the white wires, solder the pins to the bare wires that are on the car (a light connector as an example). Now you can install the pins into the connector making sure that each wire corresponds correctly with the wires in the harness connector.

All connectors that you were not able to fix in this manner you will have to find in a wrecking yard etc., by the time you are done with all the above you will be a master at wiring an early Z and you will not be intimidated whatsoever about an electrical gremlins in the future.

One last thing… on the spell checker, an easy way to do that is to write your response in word or some other similar program, run the spell checker than cut and paste into the post.

Dragonfly