HybridZ

1976 280Z, the good the bad and the ugly

Guest scikris

Guest scikris

Hey everyone!, this is my first post and I am a brand new Z owner, a couple days ago I purchased a 1976 280Z...

for the good!

I got it pretty cheep, and the guy said it "only needs a battery and new starter"

the bad!

well the engine is seized....

the ugly!

when i got it up on a lift, i noticed that half the frame is rusted away :fmad:

my origanal plans for this car was to turn it into a sort of a race vehicle (either street or strip), so my question to you guys with experience is, Is this vehicle worth salvaging?, i could possibly cut out the rusted frame rails, and replace them with steel tubing and at the same time reinfoce it for a larger engine... or just ditch the thing and get a fresh Z with less rust?

frame rails_thumb.jpg

I don't know how much is cheap, but yes, I would strip off anything salvagable, and find a new body.

Even starting from a "rust-free" body, it takes a lot of time and work to strip down and restore a Z. Starting from that could be a disaster depending on your situation, experience, and free time.

Good luck either way!

Guest scikris

the car is deffinetly not going to be a show car, or a daily driver, I realy just bought it cuz i like Z cars, and i have always wanted one. If i keep it i will proboly get the repacement frame rails and suit it up with a chevy 350.

I say keep it. If you spend any time on this site you will guys who have fabbed up alot more than it looks like you have to deal with. If the rest of the car is in decent shape a little rust is sometning that almost everyone on the right coast has had to deal with.

honestly, it really depends on how handy you are, how much rust there REALLY is and your bank account. Paying some1 else to do the job is always going to cost you more than doing it yourself(obvious I know) and if there is a significant amount of rust that needs to be removed and repaired than u might just be better off buying another Z. check out the classifieds to see what's on the s30 market right now, figure out how much the repairs will cost you and make a decision. how is the overall condition of the car otherwise? Parting out the car(as said earlier), is a great idea so that u can get some funds for another Z...and who knows, u might be able to get more parting it out than u paid for it...

we can't see the car and make a good, honest firsthand judgment.. but I say "salvageable." Would I write that chassis off? no.. but I don't know how eager I would be to buy it in the first place.

You won't be the first, if you DO opt to repair it. Especially for something like a track car, where a cage may wind up being welded into the vehicle anyhow, rusted rails like that are no big deal.. other rust on the vehicle is an issue, and DEFINITELY needs to be thoroughly addresses, but in the end it is up to you.

Guest scikris

okay guys thanks for your help in making the desicion, and i AM going to keep this vehicle and try to fix it up... ill keep posting new pics for progress, and keep the compents coming, im sure I will have more questions along the way.

As of now i have begun to grind out surface rust on the sheet metal of the body, and this weekend im going to try to repair the frame rails...

ps

I have access to a Chevy 350, but it is from an old chevy pickup, does that make a difference or are all 350 the same?

That's an awful lot of rust. You'll need to get baddog rails, some sheet steel for the floor pans, and have at it... How much more rust is there in the car??? MY guess is that you'll find more in the battery box and under the firewall/windshield cowl, and back around the fuel filler neck.

Mike

All 350 sbc's are not the same. Some are 4 bolt main cranks and some are 2 bolt, each with it's own advantages. Compression ratio is also something that will vary from engine to engine, which needs to be taken into account if u plan on boosting or just want to be making good power. Some are also EFI and some are carbed. Examine your options before buying anything and have a PLAN of what u want (power, economy, future build plans), because if u don't, u'll end up spending A LOT more in the end.

All 350 sbc's are not the same. Some are 4 bolt main cranks and some are 2 bolt, each with it's own advantages. Compression ratio is also something that will vary from engine to engine, which needs to be taken into account if u plan on boosting or just want to be making good power. Some are also EFI and some are carbed. Examine your options before buying anything and have a PLAN of what u want (power, economy, future build plans), because if u don't, u'll end up spending A LOT more in the end.

correct, i applogize, i was implying that the blocks (mounting) is pretty much the same from my experiences

Guest scikris

thanks for clearing that up cant Z me. today i used a wire grinding disk to get rid of some tough surface rust and sprayed rust tough over it all... tomorow i am going to pull the motor... if anyone wants any parts off of it that may work (alternator, starter, water pump...ect) name your price! :) the motor is going to the scrap yard so let me know!