Setback 2JZ

JustinOlson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taka Ano, before his drifting successes, was a very good autocrosser and he ran a turbo MR2 in ASP.  He and I would swap cars (my 240Z ran in BSP) on practice days for fun.  His MR2 would come around in an instant if you were doing something wrong when the boost came on.  I could never really master it.  Conversly, Taka couldn't stand my 240Z and how slow it turned in and how much work it took to get the back end out (in comparison to his MR2).  I know why Taka went big in the drift world.

Thanks for the info on the polar momentum.  So a midengined car would be better at smaller tight tracks like auto cross, an a Z is more stable at higher speed sweepers like laguna seca? 

This is the stuff I like to learn about, engineering theories in layman's terms.  It makes learning fun!!! 

Sorry for the off topic.

A responsive, low PMOI car can do things quicker (turn in, braking, accelerating) because it takes less time to transfer weight. These are tiny time differences compared to a high PMOI car but those differences add up with 12 turns and 20 laps. It also makes the car more difficult to drive and requires greater concentration and consistency from the driver. Setup issues are also magnified.