HybridZ

280 frame rails

i was looking through the different stuff in the forum about frame rails and rust repair, soing research before buying my basis for a track car. i was wondering if anyone could post pictures of their frames/floorpan areas, or chassis drawinds so i can see how the framerails go into the unibody structure on an s30. im thinking that even with a little rust, i can use some 2.5X2.5 box tubing on the front, tie it the whole bay to the back rails, and do some other structural bracing to boot. thereby getting rid of any potential rust and strengthening the car considerably.

anyway, if someone could give me some pictures and drawings so i can see if i am right in my idea of how these cars go together, that would be great.

and just in case you were wondering, the car will NOT be super pretty or stock when im done with it. kinda ugly, cheap, and functional is the name of the game at this stage in my life.

Michael

i had done some searching before i posted this, and had not located just what i was looking for. i found a few pictures of the front sections, but nothing clear past the firewall. also found some pictures of the bad dog SFC's, but again, nothing as clear as what i was looking for. and nothing on the rear subframes except a couple of side shots of rusted out ones. maybe i dont know where to look, or how to use the search funtion properly on this forum.

as to what im looking for:

i know that you can use 2.5 square tubing to replace and reinforce teh front framerails, and that the SFC's are kind of curved. i dont see why i couldnt use a straight piece the whole way back to the rear subframes to build a chassis/unibody car. im looking to make the car almost a monocoque(sp?) once the cage is fabbed and everthing. just a highly functional track car with lights and a plate. the shell im looking at has some rusty floor pans, and possibly some front rail rust. dont know until i get the undercoating and 19 layers of grease off of it. so if i have to so all that, ill do the full monte. if its not got rusty rails, ill make a mostly street car out of it that i can track on occasion. thus uis the reason for my post.

im really just trying to get a clear picture of how it all fits together without having purchsed a car to look at yet, to see if this is a project i am capable of tackling, or want to tackle.

also, the website you referred me to was very informative, but i still could not get the clear picture i was looking for. but the fixing he did did not look too intimidating.

thanks for all the help.

Michael