HybridZ

Need a sunroof, and quick!

I've got a '76 280z with a piece of plywood bungie-corded to the roof. There's this nasty hole where the sunroof used to be... The previous owner had it fly off at speed.

Anyway, I need a sunroof (and associated mounting hardware) for a 1976 280z, and I can't for the life of me find one. Were they not a factory option?

Anyway, I need a sunroof (and associated mounting hardware) for a 1976 280z, and I can't for the life of me find one. Were they not a factory option?

They were not a factory installed item. All most all of them were dealer installed by outside companies in the 70's. I belive all those companies are not in buisness anymore. Search in the Body kits and Paint forum for info on what members are doing now.

LARRY

Have you considered a welder and some sheet metal instead ?

I've heard bad things about welding to a datsun roof - Supposedly it's very thin metal.

Also, I've never welded anything in my life. I plan on learning how with my passenger floorboard in a couple weeks here - I really don't wanna start with something as easy to screw up as my roof!

I've heard bad things about welding to a datsun roof - Supposedly it's very thin metal.

Also, I've never welded anything in my life. I plan on learning how with my passenger floorboard in a couple weeks here - I really don't wanna start with something as easy to screw up as my roof!

Take your car to a sunroof installer and prepare to give them $400 for a new manual roof and $800 for an electric one.

Take your car to a sunroof installer and prepare to give them $400 for a new manual roof and $800 for an electric one.

I'd be more than willing to do that, but every place I've called won't do it! "We only deal with factory sunroofs" "We only do electric sunroofs" "We don't do sunroofs"

Ugh! Can anyone recommend a place within 150 miles of Colorado Springs, Colorado that'll install a sunroof for me?

I am in the middle of repairing the hole cut in my roof the sunroof that was installed... If you want it I will sell it to you what size hole is it? is it a centered hole?

My hole is pretty much centered. The glass I'm missing is 15x33 (Or close to it)

Pics:

frontback2tx5.jpg

sideside2lr2.jpg

That looks just like the sunroof that was in a car I had a few years ago.It was made by Prestige.I did a quick search and found they still have a web site.You should be able to get a replacement glass and hardware from them.I would think they will need measurements and/or pictures to I.D. it.Good luck!

It's possible to replace a Z roof that's been cut for a sunroof, but you'd need a donor car. Instead of welding a patch into the hole, you'd have to cut out the roof and replace it with a solid one. Not as difficult as a task as it sounds, but still requires some skill with a welder and careful measuring / cutting.