HybridZ

How many SBC v8 guys are using manual trannies?

Don't you need to use the 153 tooth flywheel and starter to clear the body of the Z?

I use a flywheel and clutch set up for a 66 nova (10.5 inch with 153 tooth flywheel) with my T5.

You need to go easy on that transmission since it is from a 6 cylinder car. Also, 1st gear is extra low in that trans and will almost be un-useable, unless you are teaching someone to drive a manual transmission. hahahaha

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aftermarket T56, .62 6th gear. I agree with Dan, the 6 speed is a bit redundant, but shifting through more gears is a joy to some regardless. My 700r4 suprised me at times. I didn't always want to lose traction 1st to second wot, sometimes harsh downshifts locked the rear. I like to be in charge of when, what gear, and how fast the shift takes place regardless of throttle.

Avoid the 6 cyl T5, wimpy rating and as was stated above, too low 1st. V8 Zs do not need granny gear!

Don't you need to use the 153 tooth flywheel and starter to clear the body of the Z?

You need to go easy on that transmission since it is from a 6 cylinder car. Also, 1st gear is extra low in that trans and will almost be un-useable, unless you are teaching someone to drive a manual transmission. hahahaha

I think your correct on all your comments above.

I'm pretty sure there is another fairly recent thread pertaining to this matter and I cautioned agaist the 14 spline input shaft as well as the smaller weaker gearset in the V6 Unit. I'd personally like to see how long one holds up :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Zeister,

Do some searching on the subject of the 240 rearend, you'll find more information than you have time to read.

Also before you get told to search again be sure to read the rules for the site.

BTW: Welcome to HybridZ, you won't find a better group of guys to hang out with anywhere on the net.

Wheelman

Just an update on the 11in clutch setup for the t5....It wont work! The t5 bellhousing is too small for the 168 tooth flywheel. I really dont want to go to a 9.125 in. clutch so I might try an s10 bellhousing to see if it will work.

Why don't you try the Astro bellhousing, seeing as how its the one that goes with that gearbox and clutch....

I had a TR3550 Tremec 5spd (a "weak" version of the TKO, TKO500, TKO600 that they put in the Cobra R Mushtangs in the mid 90s) in my V8 Z. I never liked the shifting feel of it. But I had a short shifter lever on it with a Pro 5.0 shifter. I sold the setup to Glenn McCoy, who put it in his V8 Z, and the longer shifter lever made a huge difference in the shift feel.

Another thing I didn't like about TR3550 5spd was the 3.27 first gear. But you can get the TKO600 with a taller 1st.

I now have a GM WC T-5 with G-Force 9310 gears and shaft in it. I look forward to a nice smooth shifting tranny that can handle the torque, that's light, and has a nicer gear ratio set. The thing is sitting in the tunnel as I write this, propped up waiting for me to finish the engine and install it - only a few weeks from the ZCCA convention trip!!!! LOL I work best under pressure!

The only way I'd go for an automatic in a Z is if it was set up for competitive drag racing. Just my opinion.

Transmission choices are to some extent constrained by the bellhousing: in many applications a blowproof bellhousing is imperative, especially with engine setback. When I started my swap (1999), there was no blowproof bellhousing for the T56. I ended up with a Doug Nash 5-speed (which fit the standard Lakewood bellhousing for Chevy), on the strength of the recommendation of a hot-rodding buddy, and because I stumbled into a good deal on a used one. In hindsight this was a poor choice: shift quality is horrible, there is no overdrive and the gears are too close together.

Every application is different, but for a light car with a very torquey engine, the wider the gear spacing the better. My ideal gear ratio choice would strike some folks as outright ridiculous: 3.5:1, 2:1, 1:1 and 0.5:1, with a 3.54:1 rear. 3.5:1 would be used only for drag racing with 33â€-diameter slicks (or similar). With 25â€-diameter street tires the other three ratios would be used - but that’s with an engine that is happy cruising at 1300 rpm.

When I drove Pete’s car with the Tremec 5-speed, I found myself yearning for a deeper first gear (numerically higher ratio) because I’m a dweeb and don’t know how to shift; I tend to upshift at 2500 rpm.