HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

Guest Shocker1322

I was going to question this myself. The engine came with the pulleys on it and we do not have the stock ones. Are these pulleys really a hazard to this engine?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread, but I couldn't find what I wanted (started getting frustrated when those guys couldn't figure out if an internally balance motor needed a damper or not), and the link in the forum didn't get past my firewall. Is it correct to assume from what I read that the OEM pulley is a half-assed damper, and that replacing the OEM pulley with a solid metal pulley effectively eliminates the damping (what little there was) of the OEM part?

Is it correct to assume from what I read that the OEM pulley is a half-assed damper, and that replacing the OEM pulley with a solid metal pulley effectively eliminates the damping (what little there was) of the OEM part?

That is my take on it. I'm not sure how Half-Assed the OEM piece is. It'd imagine it takes care of the harmonics it needs to take care of on a stock engine.

Justin

I have not had a chance to look very closely at the stock crank pulley on the VQ, but there seems to be a move in the OEM engine designs to use the serpentine belt as the dampener. The crank pulley is usually solid, and the belt and belt tensioner take up the harmonics. Whether or not the engine is internally balance doesn't determine the need for a harmonic balancer, it is the harmonics the engine creates during operation that require the use of a harmonic balancer, and that changes with RPM.

This might be a good topic to make another thread on....

Anyway Ive been draggin' my butt lately on this project. Been working on some other thigns that I now have wrapped up so Im ready to get back to work. With spring break around the corner I'm hoping to finish up the fuel and wiring and then she will be almost done. I'm using the stock ECU and wiring harness :)

Anyhow Ill be updating this thread as I go as well as my website.

Lookin good shocker! Can't wait for both of you to show some more progress!

BTW... i think the general concensus is that your ground control camber plates need to be mounted on the underside of the strut tower. I can take some pics of mine mounted that way if you need to see them.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, that looks like crap! ;)

Too bad it won't be ready to go for DNI. Glad your going to attend anyway.

Evan

I agree, looks terrible. You might as well sell it to me.

I definately want more pics now. That was a terrbile thing to do, tease us like that.

• 3 weeks later...

looking good, I used to have a 350 twin turbo... I like the utec and it was very nice... sold it to my friend and he went with the hks fcon wich is stand alone but might use parts of the 350z harness... anyhow .. I had the greddy kit and it looks like you have more room then the 350z and that would just go in with ease.. I got 505 whp on a dynojet on stock internals and drove the piss out of it.. Im putting a ls1 in my 260z, but look at your project and really wish I had the vq with twin 18g's man that motor is ment for twin turbos. =)