HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds and looks pretty quick. Should run low 13's????? I am not familer with the electronics of those, but if you did want to boost it, can you add larger injectors and controll timing and fuel through some sort of software, nistune, etc??

Thanks for the compliments guys its good to finally be driving the car after soo long. The motor is just what I thought it would be and just what I set out to achieve when I started the project. The car is a lot slower then my l28 setup was right now, but its still really fun. The other morning when it was below freezing I just jumped in and fired her up...smooth as butter. The car is just more drivable now, the engine is really smooth, lots of torque, transmission is super tight...and there is ALOT of room to grow with whatever route I decide to go NA or Turbo. Add to all that Im pretty sure I dropped 200lbs or so, I really wanna get her on some scales.

MonkeyT88 - The 3.7 would be sick I agree but thats a whole nother ball game, the blocks, tranmssision and electronics are all different, and your looking at not much more power anyway...there are lots of power adders to take the 35 to the next level when the time comes but Im going to enjoy it for a while.

1 Fast Z - There are alot of options for fuel tuning. The setup im looking at right now is the TurboXS piggy back unit...it plugs in between the harness and ecu and pretty much allows you infinite control over the fuel and timing. You can run a MAP sensor with it for boost and it has addition outputs to control water injection and N2O as well...

I just want to point out, and even though im beyond SUPER late on this comment- im 99% certain that the reason your old l28 was so rough was the SDS you had running it. Because of how they map things, theyll never be as smooth as a normal stand alone set up. If youre ever in california let me know ;) Id love to strap that to the dynapack and see how it does.

Thanks again for the compliments guys, I put another 100 miles on her yesterday without a problem at all!! I also mounted up the power windows, they were super easy to install and work great! Ive just tested them with a battery, Ive yet to run the wires through the doors and all. Ill post some pictures of that soon.

Garret! -- Havent heard from you in a while!! Hope to see you at DNI?? Gimmie a shout sometime.

Sidewayz - I completely agree with you. Although in my case it was a little more then that. I had been messing with the l28 for a while, and when my brand new turbo blew its was the breaking point. I just couldnt stand to spend another dime on that motor, added to that I needed another clutch to drive it on the street... I busted a set of engine mounts, two tranny mounts, and two diff mounts. Sooooooo I needed all new driveline mounts, a new turbo, a new clutch, new engine management, and lots of dyno time to get it running how I wanted. I wanted the challenge of a full blown engine swap and I actually probably came out cheaper with the VQ setup and I feel like it will be a better platform in the end with all the tuning and aftermarket option availible, not to mention the lower weight larger displacement, crossflow heads, vvt, dbw.....

BUT I dont want anybody to get me wrong I LOVE the L28 and would reccomend it to anyone. In fact the next 240 I build will probably have one in it (im already collecting parts lol) but in MY humble opinion the L28 is much more fun when kept at 15-18 psi with a good tune.

I don't mind sharing In fact I think its an important for anyone considering this swap. I have not kept close records of what I spent (for obvious reasons :) ) However I would say I probably have around 7-8K in the swap total. The majority of which was covered by the sale of my L28 parts.

However.......I spent a great deal of additional money on things that were not necessary, namely the exhaust and the fuel system. I spent over $1000 in supplies for my stainless exhaust. It costs pretty much the same amount of money to swap any engine in as far as mounts, exhaust, driveshaft, fuel system etc...and its not a cheap en devour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 240Hoke, how does your car handle now? I'm not sure if you have power steering or not, but if you don't, does the weight of the motor being farther behind the front wheels alleviate some steering effort? Do you notice any understeer, oversteer, nuetral changes in the way your car behaves now? I really like the idea of this swap. Keep us posted on how its working out for you.

To be honest I havent pushed the car that hard yet, I've only driven her about 150 miles and she has been sitting in my garage since Im at school right now. Im using the factory rack and the steering does feel a good bit lighter but its been over a year since I drove the car with the L28, so that may not saying much. Ive got a few more things on my list to finish up and then Im going to hopefully start driving it alot more but it could be a few month depending on school stuff :evil:

Hey 240Hoke, how does your car handle now? I'm not sure if you have power steering or not, but if you don't, does the weight of the motor being farther behind the front wheels alleviate some steering effort? Do you notice any understeer, oversteer, nuetral changes in the way your car behaves now? I really like the idea of this swap. Keep us posted on how its working out for you.

Austin and I have a similar setup and I can't tell any difference in steering effort. The car still handles like I remembered. The main thing I noticed is that the car is much more planted when transitioning weight from side to side ex. slalom, switchbacks etc.