HybridZ

Head cooling on cylinder #5 - solutions?

TimZ

I don't have fitment issues with the part after I installed the feed lines from the head. I used a 1" spacer, but I think to just install the unit, a 1/2" piece of plate as a spacer will work just fine.

I want to get one of these units installed before I do any additional changes to the engine, except maybe installing and outlet feed line between 2&3 cylinders. I have been told that some heads have had all 6 outlets from the head. My problem is I am not to sure how to go about 3 & 4 as the long head/cam tower stud is directly in the path of where I would like to install the outlet fittings in the head. I will have to look more closly into this as the hardware will have to change again to accomidate all of the tee-offs from the main return line. The hardware I am currently using, and it is damn expensive, requires to much space to connect. I am starting to think along the lines of a weld on tee type configuration with the flare type connection to the head. I will research this in more detail to see if I can cut some of the costs with the parts.

I guess I could even like Tony suggested utilize a copper line if I have to, but I like the stainless steel line much better.

Also, the bypass in 5&6 are good, but 3 requires a bypass also.

My recent experience backs this up. I have 5/6 bypassed, but after my distributor came loose under boost advancing the timing many degrees, #3 was the only one to have ping bad enough to blow the ring lands on the stock turbo pistons.

Tony, do you think you could provide a part number for the aluminum Amot T-Stat you think will work well? I'm seriously considering tapping all of the chambers for this when I tear down my motor in a few weeks.

Not from Johor Baru when I have a month of Expenses to turn in, and a flight to catch on Monday to Vietnam, where likely I will have NO internet for a week...and bills to pay!

Maybe when I go on furlough later in the year...maybe!

Not from Johor Baru when I have a month of Expenses to turn in, and a flight to catch on Monday to Vietnam, where likely I will have NO internet for a week...and bills to pay!

Maybe when I go on furlough later in the year...maybe!

I thought we required posts to be made in english on this site? :icon42:

Anybody tap into their head above exhaust ports 4/5? Where did you tap? The space is a little tight in that area, especially with my fat intake manifold. Based on the discussion here I think I'm going to end up putting coolant ports above exhaust ports 3/4, 5 & 6. 5&6 are currently tapped, now I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY tap drill/tap a port above 3/4. Anybody else tapped into the head with it bolted to the block? It makes me a little nervous. I'm going to turn the engine on its side and drill up into it with a vacuum sucking out chips.

I thought we required posts to be made in english on this site? :icon42:

Excuse me please: Johore

Speaking of "Johore", I ended up at the Orchard Hotel, right across the street from Orchard Plaza in Singapore....(google...)

More importantly, Muddy Murphy's Pub is in the basement, and tonight at 7PM they will be airing the Turkish F1 Race. I know where I will be tonight! Woo Hoo!:mrgreen:

"Mandatory Time off Without Pay"---I'm not sure of any other way to spell furlough.

Furlow is something altogether different, and is crawling all around the Orchard Towers each evening...

Anybody tap into their head above exhaust ports 4/5? Where did you tap? The space is a little tight in that area, especially with my fat intake manifold. Based on the discussion here I think I'm going to end up putting coolant ports above exhaust ports 3/4, 5 & 6. 5&6 are currently tapped, now I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY tap drill/tap a port above 3/4. Anybody else tapped into the head with it bolted to the block? It makes me a little nervous. I'm going to turn the engine on its side and drill up into it with a vacuum sucking out chips.

Have someone hold a shop vac with the tip removed from it (so it's just flexible hose) and squeeze the hose down into a slit. Shove the slit right up at the drill point and flip 'er on. That'll suck just about all of the chips right away. Just go slower (for smaller chips) when you start to go through.

Anybody else tapped into the head with it bolted to the block? It makes me a little nervous. I'm going to turn the engine on its side and drill up into it with a vacuum sucking out chips.

Take the intake manifold off the head, take the head off the block. Do it right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Much of this was on the first page, but I did some flow work since then so here it is again if any of you are thinking reverse flow like I am.

I did the design a while ago, but never completed it, it’s now in the "someday" list. It was 1-6 design. Like I said I did some flow study on it because I will be running it reverse, and I wanted to make sure all parts of the head get equal flow. It was necessary to change the size of the feed lines into he head to get even flow. Again this was in a reverse application, I don’t think normal flow would be as difficult. Here are some pics. The final flow pic shows the tube size change, the first pics are old stuff.

throttle_bodies21.jpg

throttle_bodies11.jpg

cloolflow.JPG

Here are some Alan T pics

nissanl6safarihead01oi6.jpg

e15.jpg

072421.jpg

Edited by MONZTER

Well, I accepted the site rules again (not sure what changed) in order to make this most important contribution:

Those photos attributed to me are from Alan T (HS30H).

He actually owns that FIA head shown in the first photo. Lucky bastard!

His photos continually amaze me.

But that FIA head does show what Nissan did to the Non-Crossflow head when put under high stress competition environment. The 'Factory Engineered Solution' as it existed in 1972 (or thereabouts)...:burnout:

It is truly FLABERGASTING that members of this forum are just now discovering reverse flow COOLING. This concept is at least 15 years old. The L24, L26 and L28 engines all appear to have cooling system design defects. It is truly amazing to see that now it is beginning to be recognized and something done about it. As John C has pointed out these is something that is considered LIQUID HORSEPOWER. This should be used as a last resort and the design defects should first be overcome.

It is truly FLABERGASTING that members of this forum are just now discovering reverse flow COOLING. This concept is at least 15 years old. The L24, L26 and L28 engines all appear to have cooling system design defects. It is truly amazing to see that now it is beginning to be recognized and something done about it. As John C has pointed out these is something that is considered LIQUID HORSEPOWER. This should be used as a last resort and the design defects should first be overcome.

Well, that isn't exactly true. Just because it hasn't become "Official HybridZ Canon" thru sticky-ism until the last year or two, doesn't mean that nobody has done it. This thread was largely compiled of peoples' experiences, both personal and those seen on racecars, from the last 30-40 years. I've known, at least in a vague sense, that "the racing guys" did this sort of thing "a long time ago" for a good ten years or so.

If I am not mistaken, the idea had been batted about (and almost certainly used SOMEWHERE) for years and years before the SBC got it integrated (what was that, Gen II, something? Early 80's? I don't know my Chevies....) The first thing I asked when I learned all about iron blocks with aluminum heads, versus iron/iron, was "Well, where does the coolant go first, the block, right? Can't you just flip it around and let it cool the hot, softer cylinder head first?" or something to that effect, so I guess what I am saying here is that the sense of discovery, the tone of "Eureka" this thread holds is alot more superficial than it might seem. It is something that is getting widespread, knowledge that "another forum" failed to be able to convey, but hybridZ is finally making public and popular. In a more perfect world, this thread could have been around as long as ten years ago, but the timing wasn't right.

It is truly FLABERGASTING that members of this forum are just now discovering reverse flow COOLING. This concept is at least 15 years old.

We reverse flowed a 6.6 Trans Am in High School Shop Class in 1980, so 'at least' is kind of an understatement.

Chevrolet realized their coolant flow mistake back in the EARLY 60's when they did more development work on the SBC. It was common knowledge in GM circles back then, and a GMI engineer was who helped us with our Pontiac Reverse Flow Coolant System then...it was 20 years old by THAT point! Monzster has reiterated on several occasions my thoughts on this subject: THERE IS NOTHING NEW, JUST PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T SEARCHED ENOUGH CROSS PLATFORM DEVELOPMENT. Engineering is engineering, and there is VERY little that hasn't been done well in the past.

We did not 'just discover it', but the internet is a relatively recent development for personal access, and it's just now getting to the point where people have the time to mention crap they did 27 years ago in High School...:x