HybridZ

need some imput from you guys

well I have a 75 280Z with no rust and many dings nothing major.

A local guy is now offering me a no rust 240Z. I havent seen the body yet but he says its in great condition. Not a super low VIN so nothing like that.

I am wondering what car in your experienced opinions would you build off of.

I was originally going with a RB25 that I actually put a deposit on, however after reading of the horror stories of the oiling issues and also visiting Vildini on my vacation I have began to lean towards the SR20.

I am confident as well as my engine builder and tuner that there would be no problems in getting 450-500 out of the motor.

It is going to be built as a fun car that will be involved in everything; a little street, drag, autocross, and lapping days.

So... I know the 240 is lighter but has a chassis that needs some strengthening where the 280 is heavier and doesn't need the reinforcement.

(how much weight stripped are we talking between chassis)

Thank you for all opinions.

Not to be crude but to make the RB25 trackable you will spend another $2000 to remedy the oil problems, if you dont you will continue spending money on rebuilds.

now obviously if you could fabricate with proven knowledge in regards to oilpan/pickups/returns/machining you wont have to spend anything except for materials.

however that will leave you with a $1200 oil pump bill....get where I am going?

The rb for me right now is not realistic.

Now no doubt the motor kicks a$$ but just not for me due to the price of reliability.

And the SR20 will provide me with the power I want (450-500hp) minus the torque..

so minus a engine and interior what do you think we would be looking at with the 280?

After having 1 of each the weight difference should not be a factor with HP you are going for. The difference IMO is going to be ride quality. The 240 being the one you will feel more of the road in to the 280 which will have a more solid stable feeling ride.

Just depends on what you want to feel when your cruising.

You can't really go wrong either way. Pick the one you like the looks of best, or the one that needs the least amount of work.

If you aren't going all out racing with 300+ pound springs, then the chassis stiffness thing is a bit irrelevant. You are going to put in strut tower braces either way. Those and maybe a set of bad dog rails (JohnC says he can install those in a day or so) and you should be set.

But beware the myth of the "no rust" 240. Take a good long look at it before you make any decisions.