HybridZ

wiring a sbc tpi vs LT1 difficulty?

• Administrators

Uh, depends on which one you or the installer is most familiar with.

Honestly, I don’t “get” the question? These two engine are such different animals in how they deliver power that any and all differences in “wiring difficulty” should be irrelevant to the installer and driver of the car. With these two engines, more importantly is what sort of power band the owner/driver wants in his Z car? Then deal with wiring. Or did I totally miss something here?

Funny you should mention non-cut TPI harnesses = ) I will have a 350 TPI with intact harness and 700r4 tranny looking for a home in a few months. In my experience... if you are looking for decent gas mileage, good torque from low RPMs, and do not intend to end up with 350+ HP or a high-revving engine, its a great combo. I averaged about 26 MPG across 2000 miles when I got the car, and I would estimate about 17 MPG in city driving. What I was NOT keen on was driving an auto and not being able to play with higher revs. It runs out of breath at around 4800 RPM. It is very civilized in a Z though, my GF was all too fond of grabbing my car for suspicious and gratuitous "grocery trips"...:rolleyesg