Project unnatural aspiration Part 2

stony

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NAAA maybe 109 but this fuel should get me in the 700s pretty easy and that's all i wanted.

I have dreams of finishing my red car maybe someday when its done and im rich i will go all out with some really nice go fast stuff ;>

Well i was going to keep it quite but no use in that.

We spun a rod bearing. I'm guessing the long downtime contributed to. Maybe on initial startup the bearing was damaged and it just started to deteriorate till it let go.

SOOOOO the final run it made a hair over 600 again but that point is mute. Still no video ;<

anyways... anyone have any experience with turning the rb26 crank or is one of those things were once it's hurt its done.

Anyone have a r33 crank lying around they want to get rid of?

check out the pics. everything else looked fine except the #1 crank journal and rod.

The other thing was when the rod bearing came apart it clogged the filter and that caused the filter to collapsed on it self internally and bypassed all the oil back into the engine. So the engine basically has to be completely torn down And cleaned.

Not exactly what i wanted to be showing off but here is the carnage.

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03072.jpg

DSC03079.jpg

Wow Stony, that sure bites the big one... did it give any indication it was going south? Was it up on song when it let go? I know its like talking about a loved one dying right away, but can you give us some details please... :redface:

I'd say that you will most definitly have to take every single piece and part apart, and clean/flush all the bearing material for those bad boy parts to be safe to reuse.

Did it starve the top end at all? I really hate to see that your expensive Jun head, cam journals got buggered...

I really really hate to hear/see this my friend....:icon9: Just keep your head up and get to fixing.... thats all we can do when crap like this kicks us in the knuts....

Oh my friggin god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spun a rod is an understatement! What were the bearing clearances anyway? Did any of the cylinders get scored?

That crank might be saveable hard to tell without mic'ing it. IMO I'd get a new crank, new rod and start from scratch. Check the clearances or grind and set the clearances. Also, IMO if your going to resize one rod, might as well do them all so the center to center length stays the same for the set of rods.

Here is a recap:

1st run turbo side pipe popped off right at 600rwhp, 24 psi @ 7000rpm

2nd run intake side popped off but made 600 again same as the first run

3rd run made 600 again but the rpm lead for the dyno was messing up so we changed it to another spot

4th run more rpm problems but made 600ish again.

5th run boost trailed off after hitting 24psi not sure what it was at the time.

6th time same thing except this time I heard a knock when it came back to idle.

#1 ate a bearing and turbo seized. I’m guessing the turbo seized due to all the small bearing pieces floating around. Wasn't real sure why there would be bearing material in the turbo if the filter was installed. It did’t actually seize, you can still move it by hand but it way harder then it should be and I'm pretty sure thats why the boost fell off on the 5th and 6th run. I found out last night how the bearing material got out... i pulled the filter to find it had collapsed in on itself allowing all the contaminated oil to bypass the filter element!!!!. I also learned today that my alternate is bad and we were running on battery power alone and was getting done into the low 11s for voltage during the runs. Pretty sure that didn't have anything to do with it but one more thing that i can attribute to sitting for too long.

I bought this motor as is from a guy in japan just after it had been rebuilt... i wanted to go into it and check everything but figured what the hell it was running for a while already so just go for it. But after sitting for 4 years i should have gone in and at least re lubed everything ( hindsight is a bitch)

I'm waiting on a bunch of people to get back with me on prices for all the crap i need so only time will tell .

I can't believe the lack of luck you have had! It doesn't look like it got hot - no indication of blue in the pics. I will make some calls on a crank.

Q

If you look right on the edges of the crank journals you can see some discoloration.