HybridZ

Which way to go in? (engine mods speculations)

Now I turn to you who has more knowledge to this matter.

Aim: To get a car which can be used legally as a daily driver in the summer time and also could have fun on race track(not in competition).

Next are the options which could be made under our laws and keep it street legal(finnish laws are little bit strange):

Option 1(not considered as engine swap by the law): Tune up the original L26 and get the maximum power to 235 hp. Electronic injection can be build, but has to be done without changing the head(if I change the head legal max powers drop to 194hp. Considered as engine swap by the law). Carbs can also be used.

Option 2(considered as engine swap by the law): Turbocharge L26 or get a L28 and turbocharge it(save the matching numbers engine) or get L28ET and swap it in. Or just change the head from L26 and then tune up. I think I should use electronic fuel injection(has to be build). Max.street powers 194hp and on the track sky is the limit. I think this can be done with EMS. Just has to able to change the power back to 194hp when leaving the track. Aim with this option is just over 300hp(not right away but eventually). SR20DET swap goes to this option and can't be done because it goes over the 194hp in stock mod(maybe can be done with hard to get special permit). Other engine swaps goes to this section also.

I would like to do the the option 2, but is that the "right" way to go... Is 235hp enought to have fun on the track(other things matter too, but now looking from engine powers point of view)? I wouldn't like to destroy the original engine(want to save for restoration). I'm searching for L28ET, but those are very hard to find. or no-one hasn't offered me one(Any company who have these?). Am I able to do option 2 like I would like to do it? Which one of those in option 2 should I do? If I want to swap L28ET to my 260z, is anyone able to help me find L28ET?

Any comments according to this matter are welcome, because i'm in a dead end.

Would an inspector know that you changed the head? Here in the states they would even know how to figure that out unless they are an enthusiast.

regardless.. 235hp is plenty to have fun with, especially if that's 235 at the wheels. It just depends on how much fun you want.

...and my opinion is that the right motor build with a good ems will be the most flexible and will meet your lofty 194 hp "goal".

So why 194 hp? is it that 195, or forbid 200 is just excessive? Sure it's not 193.7?

anywhoo.. option 2 looks to be the best option. If you stay all L series motor then the possibility of swapping prior to inspection is a reality, or just detune the new setup. Flexibility seems to be key in your application.

Would an inspector know that you changed the head? Here in the states they would even know how to figure that out unless they are an enthusiast.

Well maybe they wouldn't know but I would know. First I'll try to do it legally and if I don't succeed I'll use these methods...

regardless.. 235hp is plenty to have fun with, especially if that's 235 at the wheels. It just depends on how much fun you want.

Well, if I can burn rubber with this and get sideways with using the pedal that would be fun. I know that suspension matters too. What would be the mods to these horsepowers?

So why 194 hp? is it that 195, or forbid 200 is just excessive? Sure it's not 193.7?

It's basically +20% from the most powerful model. I'm not sure what is the 280z's power output so I have use the 260z's specs.

How often is the inspection?

You could swap in an l28 and if they're really anal, slap the carbs back on when inspection time comes...

I know the inspection guys around here have NO CLUE.

Well, the inspection is once a year. Turbocharging the L26 is an option, but

I would like make to sure that I can restore the engine to it's original appearance.

wait a minute, there are street regulations on hp from engine swaps limiting you to 194hp?

sry, just noticed you're from Finland.

¨

Yep, we do have that...

I have decided to go for L28ET. I was just wondering what happen's to the drivetrain? Will it work with 3-speed automatic transmission+stock driveshaft or do I have to make the automatic to manual swap at the same time? Eventually I will make the manual swap, but am I forced to do it now? 280z manual transmission is the easiest to swap right? Borg-warner needs modifications...

I know this is somewhat off topic, but is there even a car market in Finland? I mean... 194 horsepower? a 2007 Civic Si has about that much... where's the room for tuning and upgrading?

Well, let's explain finnish regulations a bit. First of all if your car is emission free, everything is much much easier.

If you tune-up the original engine with certain regulation(turbocharging not included) in mind, you can tuneup your car until you reach the weight/power ratio 7kg/kw. So with 260z it would around 235hp.

If your tuneups are considered as engine swap like changing head or turbocharging, then regulations are more strict. max. legal power is +20% from the most powerful factory stock model. Engine capacity can be increased by +25% from the biggest engine and also the weight of the engine can be increased by +20% of the most heaviest engine. So with s30 these 194hp and 3442,5 cm2. Sr20det, v8 and rb26dett swaps are impossible.

There is a possibility that you can go over these, but then you have to get a special license for that and you have justify why do you need extra power.

Then if your cars are under emissions laws, very modification that you do needs to be emission checked with 1500€ test($2055)

¨

Yep, we do have that...

I have decided to go for L28ET. I was just wondering what happen's to the drivetrain? Will it work with 3-speed automatic transmission+stock driveshaft or do I have to make the automatic to manual swap at the same time? Eventually I will make the manual swap, but am I forced to do it now? 280z manual transmission is the easiest to swap right? Borg-warner needs modifications...

Can anyone answer this? If I have understood correctly with 280z 5-speed the driveshaft would fit perfectly. Am I right?

yes. the engines bolt up the same. i don't believe there are any external size differences that would prevent the exhaust from routing properly, either.

Well seriously; do they actually dyno test the car (rolling road)? If so, a hidden electronic boost controller can save you all the trouble in the world.

If you are trying to do it 'legitimately', then that's a different story, but EBC with a switched fuel and timing map on a standalone makes it easy to drop it down that far. Get a low spring pressure for the wastegate and get really lazy with fuel and especially timing. Lopping power off a car is easy with a standalone.

Option 3: Move somewhere that 'Hitler's own' regulations aren't enforced.. Sheesh. J/K.

Well, they don't test the car on a dyno. But if they suspect anything I have to go through a inspection and propably prove the engine specifications and power with dyno(and that costs me money). There are ways to go around the regulations, but now the main reason is that I wan't to build a street legal car. Also I can have a boost controller in the engine bay, but in the "cabin".

More questions which I didn't get any clear answer is that if I put BW t5 transmission to my 260z,

- Do I need a certain driveshaft from the 280zx turbo model or can the one I use in my 260z automatic.

- Will the driveshaft from 280zx turbo fit to my 260z "rear"?

- How have people done the return fuel line to their 1st generation z cars? Have you used the fuel tank from 280zx?

Also I searched that 240z needs modifications to transmission mounts, but will the 260z need those also?