HybridZ

280z T-top conversion

oink23

have anyone done a T-top conversion for a 240z, 260z, 280z? im thinking of doing it, because it would really look cool :):). And if so how would you do it, take the T-top off a 280zx and weld on to a Z or send it to a body shop. well anyway if anybody done this before please post pics.

Hopefully you've done some searching. This has been discussed here several times.

Yes, it's been done. Back in the '70 you could even buy a kit, but not anymore.

Rory Bateman, designer/builder of the TomahawkZ cars, adapted the T-top roof from an S130 (280ZX) to his four piece top for the S30 cars (240Z-280Z). In a conversation we had a few years ago he said he was surprised at how similar the size and lines of the roofs of the two different cars are.

Based upon Rory's work, this is the route I would take if I wanted to T-top an S30.

If you take it to a bodyshop to do the work expect to bring large Hefty bags full of cash with you.

nothing wrong, I just wanted something different from everybody else, as you know s130 most of it are t top and it pretty rare to see a slick top with turbo. But then again model 79 are slick top but im not sure if 80 is slick top, someone can correct me, and since mind is an 83. it look pretty good, everything line up. If you tense to go this route, make you you MEASURE everything precisely. keep us posted if you do carry this plan out.

If you cut in a T-Top you will need to reinforce the cassis just like a convertible. And Reinforce the cassis before cutting the top.

h_z_tube.jpg

I would also add X bracing.

Is that a kit or something. I wonder if that setup would keep the car from folding up in a car wreck.

I got that detail out of an old Kit Car Magazine. It was for a fiberglass kit like John Washington sells. It has kept my convertible together. I needs “X†bracing for tensional rigidly. I used 2†x 1†x 1/8†tube stock. It does limit the travel of the seats, but I am 6’1 and have not had a problem getting the seat back far enough.

I got that detail out of an old Kit Car Magazine. It was for a fiberglass kit like John Washington sells. It has kept my convertible together. I needs “X†bracing for tensional rigidly. I used 2†x 1†x 1/8†tube stock. It does limit the travel of the seats, but I am 6’1 and have not had a problem getting the seat back far enough.

WOW! then tell me how bad is your chassis twisting. im thinking about running two beams along the side of the door like in the elise chassis. I think the only problem would be the space between the door and the seats. I guess that why the elise doors are shaped so oddly.

Elise chassis.

elise-chassis2.jpg

check out the inside of the elise

elise-door.jpg

also i would need to strengthen that metal tube the stick shift sit on, i forgot the name of that, oh well one of you should know.

I am really not into performance driving. When I take the car down a road with uneven bump I can feel some twisting of the cassis. The X bracing should solve some of this. With a V8 conversion I would say it is required. If you draw a cross section of the belly pan at the doors you will see that there is not a lot box sectioning without the roof.