HybridZ

New and looking for some advice.. Please.

Hi Everyone!

I'll start with what I have and then move on to what I'm planning.

I have a 260Z 2+2 S30 series. When I got her, she was standard except the pollution gear was removed. Still has the Factory mags and all. There was a fair bit of rust damage, mainly floor pans, seal panels, and around the ariel. I wasn't too bothered because I picked her up for $500 AU, and was looking for a project.

My main problem at the moment is my dissy is playing up, and i'd really like to replace it with electronic ignition. I've read a fair few post about putting electronic ignition in, but so far it hasn't been into an L26. I've also read that for a NA car (mines still got the twin SU's) the '79 - '83 280zx dissy with an E12-80 ignition module would be the best one. I've read that most parts are interchangeable, but haven't read anywhere that the 280zx dissy will definately fit into the L26.

My other problem is I don't want to spend too much on the engine, I just want to get it running so I can drive her while I save up for an RB25DET or RB26DET (I've read recently that the RB26DET is a better engine). All I want from my engine is a street car with enough power to play when I feel like it, but still be reasonably fuel economic when I'm not.

In the end I'd like to have some new suspension, the RB(25 or 26)DET and a nice looking body kit. I want to stick with my factory Mags because I like them, so I need to keep in mind the amount of rubber I can fit on them and the amount of power they can put to the road. The rest will be pretty much standard.

So after all that, the question is, will the 280zx dissy fit in my L26 block or should I use something else?

Also, any suggestions or recomendations on my future choices of engine would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this post is a bit long, but it's my first, and there was a bit to cover :icon11:

The distributor will fit. I have one installed in my 72 240. Actually all the distributors are compatible with each other as far as physically mounting. You may need to do some re-wiring, and perhaps a tach that is compatible with electronic ignition. I honestly don't know if a 260 has electronic or points.

When I did the upgrade the original 240z tach would not work, so I got a junkyard 280z tach and it works fine. Also grab the 280z coil and bracket as they are different. but bolt right up. I had to do some wiring at the distributor, and if I recall correctly I pulled the pigtail off the 240z tach and put it on the 280z tach. Instead of the primary current flowing from the coil to the tack and back to the dist it is now a direct setup, with only one wire going to the tach sending the signal. Wow it's been a long time since I did this... but it's the way I remember it being.

If I recall correctly these are the parts I needed to do this upgrade:

Distributor

mounting boss (aluminum piece between distributor and front cover)

Coil and bracket

Tachometer.

I still think its the best mod I have done to the car. Hope that helps.

Thx for your help guys! :)

powerman, did you have to replace the tach or the coil like rejracer says to get everything working and the performance increase?

I'll try and get some pics taken soon, I'll post them when I can. I'm a bit ashamed though, she's not looking her best ATM :oops:

edit:

where is the 2+2owners thread? I can't find it.

for bang for your buck, you will have tons more fun in the car if you work on the suspension before you go as far as an engine swap. A new set of bushings alone tighten up ANY 30 year old car like you wouldn't believe.. and after driving my 280 every day for five years, sitting down in my brothers' race car with coilovers, adjustable camber, and all new rubbers underneath.. the difference is night and day.

Both my 280, and their 240, are stock as far as engine is concerned. My 280 was running the stock FI, and their racecar is running the twin SUs. Belive it or not, 150 crank horsepower is ALOT of fun in a ~2400 pound car, IF the underpinnings can handle it.

Sorry I couldn't help on the dizzy questions, but I figured I would give advice anyhow.

Guest powerman
powerman, did you have to replace the tach or the coil like rejracer says to get everything working and the performance increase?

When I did mine, I switched to a MSD Blaster2 coil. When I helped my cousin he already had a accel coil. It is quite possible that you might have to replace the coil(possibly made for hotter spark) As for tach, his only had one wire going to it. It was still the stock 260 tach though. I think you can make it work.

for bang for your buck, you will have tons more fun in the car if you work on the suspension before you go as far as an engine swap. A new set of bushings alone tighten up ANY 30 year old car like you wouldn't believe.. and after driving my 280 every day for five years, sitting down in my brothers' race car with coilovers, adjustable camber, and all new rubbers underneath.. the difference is night and day.

Both my 280, and their 240, are stock as far as engine is concerned. My 280 was running the stock FI, and their racecar is running the twin SUs. Belive it or not, 150 crank horsepower is ALOT of fun in a ~2400 pound car, IF the underpinnings can handle it.

Sorry I couldn't help on the dizzy questions, but I figured I would give advice anyhow.

For starters thx for the advice.

The plan was to get the body fixed up and get the engine running first, get her on the road, and then focus on the other things like suspention, maybe power steering etc.

I only mentioned the engine swap because I don't want to go over board on the L26 if I do end up swaping the engine. Although, any coments, suggestions or advice on my choice of potential engine swap would be much appreciated.

It may well be a fair way down the track, but I'd like as much info/advice as possible.

Edit:

Lol!! just noticed I did say I'd like some new suspention in my first post :)

I've taken some pic's of my Z. But after looking at the pics in the 2+2 owners thread, I'd be shamed to post mine there :redface:

pfft.

take a look at the "show off your rust pics" thread. unless you would champion THAT thread, it aint nothin to be ashamed about.