HybridZ

T56 shiftin ease? butter?

For those with the T56 how is the shifting and clutch like? i drive my cousins 07 civic si and really like how you dont have to put much effort into it. clutch is soft and dont have to press down much and shifter is easy to push in and out of gears fast. which makes for a really good urban car. i was wondering how compareable the T56 is to this? like do you get a dead leg after a while of use on ur t56?

I've driven a T56 equipped F-body before and even with an aftermarket clutch it was easy to drive and didn't require much effort. It was much easier to drive than a friends T5 equipped Mustang and quite a bit easier than my ZX with the Nissan trans. So I would say that overall it is very easy to drive but I can't compare it to the Civic as I have never driven one.

I have one behind a '350, and have to agree with Jeronimo and Marcus - it's a bit heavy on the left foot, and also a bit clunky. The clunky part just a little bit, but the heavy part a bunch. I do have a Civic, and in comparison the clutch pedal is effortless. Maximus, if you're following this thead, what's your setup? What master diameter? What throwout bearing? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have the T56 with a Tilton 3/4" master. It is maybe a little lighter than my wifes 350Z. Way easier than the Nissan 5 speed with centerforce and stock master. I used the stock GTO master till it started leaking with under 4000 miles on it. It was almost like pushing just against the pedal spring. When bleeding it I really could not tell when it started to build pressure. I also have the B&M shifter, which seems to take some of the clunkiness out, and way shortens the throws. The car is just easier to drive around town now than it has ever been. Besides, with to torque, I can pull away from a stop in 3rd without lugging.

Mike

The stiffness of the clutch have many variables, from the piston size's of the master and the slave cylinders, the clutch fork length to clutch pedal length ratio's .The clutch covers springs. In my case I used the 5/8" wilwood master and I increased the pedal stroke distance by modifing the pedal stop.( Bigger master = stiffer but shorter throw . Smaller master= softer pedal but longer throw.) mated to a Mccloud Hydrolic throwout bearing. And a Zoom street Clutch w/dual friction disc. It's as smooth a clutch engagement as my 2007 Civic Si. Now as far as the shifting effort of my T56. I do have to admit it's a bit notchy, I have a B&M billet shifter which agrivates the problem. But it feels VERY bullet proof!