HybridZ

240/280 contemplation

I'm really torn right now. I want a 240z, but they're wicked hard to find in my area for cheap (under 2 grand cheap)

but, i think i could find an early 280 easier. here's the thing though

I don't really like being restricted by emmisions from the 280, nor that it weighs more.

but how different are they? If i were to remove the bumpers, and put an MSA airdam on the 280, what else causes it to weigh so much more? I don't like A/C so that would go out the door as well.

Would it be worth it to buy a 280 for a daily driver if i can't find the 240?

I'm only 19, so i know i could buy my dream car of a 1970 240z in the future, but i like the simplicity of the older models.

does anyone in arizona have a 280z that they've tuned up or anything? I'd like to know what sort of power i could get out of a turbo'd z before i break the emmissions rules. Thanks for all your help guys.

thanks.

i think the only thing that set me off about the 280, is that it has to remain emmissons compliant in arizona. That's why i need some Arizona input on how much of the emissions stuff that can be removed before it's not street legal. I know it needs the cat and some other things, but just how much, (if any) can be removed.

I suppose I could buy a megasquirt II kit and turbo it, then buy a VERY cheap laptop to run the megasquirt programming to tune it (i'd have no other way to tune it since i live in an apartment, on the second floor.

that's the reason i wanted the 240 though, was the whole emissions crap.

if I do get a 280z, stock bumpers, gone, msa airdam will go on, ac will be stripped out, and most of the sound proofing will be gone (i like noise ^^) I just need some input from fellow arizona owners so i can get an idea of how far i can go without hurting it's testing abilities.

Interesting info on Arizona Emissions:

• Automobiles that are less than five years old do not need to be tested.

• Alternative fuel automobiles whose model years fall after 2003 do not need to be tested.

• Automobiles that were made before 1967 do not need to be tested.

• Vehicles that are apportioned, or licensed in more than one state, do not need to be tested.

• Vehicles powered by electricity, golf carts, and those that do not displace more than 90ccs do not need to be tested.

• Leased vehicles that commute into the designated areas do not need to be tested.

• Wholesale dealer vehicles do not need to be tested.

It seems this emissions testing (Car Care Program) only applies to cars that either reside in the Tucson and Pheonix metro areas or commute to and from these areas. Anywhere else is exempt. I wonder how that works even with a 240Z that doesn't have a catalytic converter?

Still I don't think the emissions will be that big a deal on a 280. You best bet in my oppinion would be to yank the stock EFI harness and rewire everything with a MegaSquirt ECU and DIY Autotune Harness. Leave the cat and the EGR in place as they're just passive or vacuum operated systems. Tune the MS right and you'll never have to worry about emissions. Come to think of it, my 77 doesn't have a cat either, it's a federal model. Depending on the car you could end up without one. In Arizona there's so many nice Z cars. I've sooooo wanted to fly down to Arizona and hang with some fo the guys on here for bit while looking for another Z to drive back home.

they have different emissions testing for the different years. 67-74 (if i remember correctly) do not have the catalytic converter, pvc, or any of those checked for. the emissions standard is also double what the 75-80's test is (because those have the cat's)

so, think getting 250 out of a stock block L28 with a megasquirt seems reasonable? because that's what my rwhp goal is XP

this is a link to the PDF showing the dyno statistics on what year has to be to http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/dyna.pdf

this is a link to the requirements for each year of vehicle. as you see, the only testing on 67-74 is the load test, and idle test (on the rolling dyno)

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/elements.pdf

67-74 weren't the only ones without a cat. The cat wasn't on all models until 78. My 77 Federal Model from the factory didn't have a cat and still doesn't. Had a spark arrestor that the muffler shop mistaked for a cat, but that was a long drawn out argument settled with a standards book showing cali model and federal.

250rwhp is possible with a stock lower end using a ported head with new springs, bigger cam, bigger injectors, ported or aftermarket intake, header and MegaSquirt with a good tune.

67-74 weren't the only ones without a cat. The cat wasn't on all models until 78. My 77 Federal Model from the factory didn't have a cat and still doesn't. Had a spark arrestor that the muffler shop mistaked for a cat, but that was a long drawn out argument settled with a standards book showing cali model and federal.

250rwhp is possible with a stock lower end using a ported head with new springs, bigger cam, bigger injectors, ported or aftermarket intake, header and MegaSquirt with a good tune.

but don't all 280z's have cats?

anyways, that's sort of what i planned on doing. I wouldn't shoot for 250 right away, but progressivly. I'd buy a decent manifold and turbo that i could stick with, but i'd slowly build up the engine so it can handle more boost in the future. It will be a daily driver (since i'll be starting college maybe in the next summer semester or something) and i'll also use it for work, so i won't be able to get collectors car insurance...

how does this sound

78 280z, straight body, good engine, good 5spd, shitty interior, gold paint, 1100 bucks. i'm meeting the guy in 45 minutes to talk to him, the car is 1 STREET AWAY FROM ME!!! i'm excited

cause i have 1100 right now

I just went to see the car, it's out of gas, but started right up and idled VERY smoothly for the 10 seconds it had

no weird noise or anything, 60k miles, it sat for 8 years in a garage before he got it a few years ago, but sitting in the sun destroyed the interior completely

needs some work for sure on the console, but it's very clean otherwise. i asked how low he would go, he said no lower than 900 because he has bills to pay. it has the original bumpers, and the chrome on it looks beautiful. VERY slight surface rust on the battery box where the gold paint chipped, but i looked at the frame rails and such, looks all clean.

not only that, but starting my mom's car to go to the bank made me remember something. it had sat there forever, and not a puff of smoke, and it cranked up instantly. no wr wr wr wr vroom. just wr vroom. smooth idle too. the clutch felt good (though i haven't driven it yet) and the brakes were nice and solid.

but yeah, the fact that it fired RIGHT UP without any hesitation made me pretty happy. now i just need to know what i need to do to get it registered and pass emissions XP