HybridZ

L6 with Holley revs WAY to high...

Guest samstrat

Guest samstrat

I've got a '76 with an F54 with N47 head, flat-top pistons, headers, Schneider stage II cam, MSD 6AL and a Holley 390 with the Arizona Zcar intake. This is a work in progress and has only been out of my garage a couple of times for test runs around the block, and it ran pretty good, no major problems, idled well. Its gonna be a solo prepared-class car and has nothing in it but a seat, steering wheel and a starter. About three months ago I developed a small head gasket leak in the garage, and i decided to put a new one on, replacing the old head bolts with new ones from ARP. While I was at it, I went ahead and put a new oil pan gasket on too. Before starting it up, I decided to take all the miles of loose wiring harness out and wire just what I needed. Now that I finished that, I started it up the other day and it immediately revs to redline and I have to shut it down before I can see if it will even come back to an idle. I've checked the primary idle speed screw and have backed it completely off, and have the throttle cable unhooked. The throttle lever seems to work fine, the plates close back up when I release the throttle lever. I don't ever remember messing with the mixture screws ever, certainly not since the new head gasket install. The only other thing is the fast idle screw, which I have not tried yet because I don't have a wrench that will fit it. gotta get one tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing the high revs? Like I said above, it idled and ran fine before the new head gasket.

thanks for any suggestions

:malebitch

Guest samstrat

that was my first inclination, of course, but at first glance, I can't see anything like that and a vacuum leak wouldn't cause it to rev that high. I'm gonna take the carb off again this morning and give it a GOOD once over