HybridZ

The ressurection of my '78 280z

So I went down to Georgia some 6-8 years ago to get a 1978 280z 2+2 that had a perfect frame. On the way down I blew the tranny in my pickup, had to get that fixed. I finally get there and pickup the car. On the way back up I blow out a tire, and the condition of the other tire looked about the same so I bought new tires for the truck and some for the Datsun while I was at it. I get lost in DC and the tow ball breaks on the highway. I had to find another one at 1130 at night. I drove over the GW bridge just to come back over the Tapanzee which cost me 40 bucks! "Car in tow" she says! Anyway, I've been broke ever since.

Tranny $800

- I didn't mention that they fixed it wrong and when i got back up here my step dad fixed it again!

hotel rooms $400

gas $350

tires $400

tow ball $20

uhaul trailer $110

a 1978 Datsun 280z 2+2 with no frame rot - priceless no, not really $700

Expensive trip

Then I realized that if I am going to continue going to school my 89 chevy blazer (fullsize) getting 8 MPG isn't going to cut it. New car 2000 z24 cavalier $8000.

I get into that, motor swaps, nitrous, supercharging, suspension, stereo, blah blah blah.....

Bought a house $207,000

So recently I realize to myself that I am dealing with the wrong platform, and I decide, what the hell, I have some cash saved up, why not play a lil bit.

This is what I got about a week ago on ebay, funny enough its in Georgia, but this time they can ship the fuckin thing! I have the same truck but I am not going thru all that again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190144430509&indexURL=4#ebayphotohosting

1999 LS1 and Tremec T56 6spd tranny, comes with wiring harness, ecu, pedals, master cylinder, and a hefty shipping bill but totally worth every penny!

It comes with a ported TB, LS6 intake mani, spec stage 3 clutch, short shifter, headers, and an aftermarket cam shaft (i have no idea what the specs are nor do the yard that is selling it).

I'm totally excited! Now I gotta get the poor Z out of my parent's barn in NY and into my garage in CT.

Here she sits, in the same place she has sat for the last 5 years...

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

My bro's project thats been sitting next to it for the last year and hasn't moved either, yup, its a golf... well.... it was....

IMG_0632.jpg

I love my step dad and his many many toys that made this soooooo much easier!

IMG_0637.jpg

Its finally out of the garage

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Upon her chariot she waits to head off to her new home

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

It looks as if I just unearthed some buried treasure!

IMG_0645.jpg

The motor and tranny are to be here on Monday!

thanks Guys!

So I got the sucker home

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

She really needed a nice bath...

IMG_7480.jpg

Me being home by myself with a car with no means of coming or going on its own, not to mention the lack of brakes, I had to let it off the trailer using ratchet straps!

IMG_7481.jpg

Now to get that blown motor and tranny out of it

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

Two of my good friends doing the dirty work while I play photographer! Thanks guys! You definitely made life easier!

IMG_7487.jpg

Motor out, and she wants out of the garage! Who can blame her? She has been stuck in the garage for waaaaay too long!

IMG_7489.jpg

So with the weight of the iron straight 6 and the transmission gone, she has this 50's gasser look, you know, the nose pointed up towards the sky... It makes me wonder... maybe I should build her like that... it would be different, thats for sure! Damn you Hotrod magazine for putting ideas in my head!

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7491.jpg

So..... any takers? Cause I really have no idea what I am gonna do with it!

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7495.jpg

LS1 and T56 come tomorrow!

So as I was chipping away at the 30 year old sound deadening last night I realized this is entirely wayyy too stupid. I need to have it done for me. The car is covered in chipped paint, its been painted multiple times. Rust is pretty controlled but still there in quite a few places. It has undercoating that is chipping and peeling away. Lots of surface rust is present. It really needs a good smack down. So I called around and I think I am going to have the entire shell sandblasted. Its probably going to take me a couple weeks to get everything off the car. Especially being that I am a work-a-holic, and my girlfriend craves constant attention.... I think I am going to try to build my own rotisserie for the project to make my life "that" much easier.

I got the new motor two days ago.

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

Of course my work-a-holic ass had to work that nite so I parked it and waited for last night to pull the motor out of the back of my truck, it was like Christmas!

IMG_7502.jpg

My buddy Rob came over with his son to give me a hand!

IMG_7504.jpg

I had to fight Kevin for it! It was a merciless battle!

IMG_7505crop.jpg

In the end we agreed that he could help unwrap it and all was well

IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_7510.jpg

The beast!

IMG_7514.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

Out with the old and in with the new!

IMG_7517crop.jpg

76mm ported throttlebody

IMG_7522.jpg

My first mod, that shift knob has been waiting for 3 years to go on...

IMG_7525.jpg

More to come!

I wish I had documented my recent 78z restoration as well as you did. The body was in pieces, no windows or windsheild. I had a clutch welded to the flywheel with rust, rust in the gas tank, bad air flow meter; now it's running as of September 17. All I need now is a title. Nothing shows you progress quite so well as these excellent pictures. It looks like you had a pretty good rig to start with.

thanks guys! I actually was thinking that I was being a little dorky with all the pics I was taking (i only post like half of them) but you guys made me feel better about it! HAHAHAH!

Today I am goin to look for engine stands that I can lengthen and use as rotisseries. I got a tip on a place that can acid bath the beast! WOOT! Anyone know how to take the windshields out?

The beast is pretty good looking. I traveled 1000 miles to get it cause of the frame's overall condition. It does have the typical rust, behind the rear tires, where the emblems were bolted down, and then some random spots on the roof but overall it does look awesome! It does however need a totally differentinterior! That is tore up! It had house rugs in it! BAH!

thanks again guys!