HybridZ

SR20DET clutch question

Lewis Maudlin

OK, I have been driving my SR20DET equipped 280Z. It was the fastest car I had driven and faster than many motorcycles I have had. Anyway, lately, it doesn't seem that fast. I do not think this is a perceived slow down, but actual.

Everything seems to be running fine. Maybe slightly louder. The car used to take off like crazy any time boost came in. Usually the tires turned. Now, it is just as loud but without the hardcore acceleration.

I have noticed a bit of noise from the clutch when off the gas. This noise can be eliminated by pushing in the clutch.

I am running an ACT HDSS clutch. I looked it up on the website. It is rated at 240ft lbs of torque. My car arguably has around 270 ft lbs of torque according to similar setups.

Is this symptomatic of a slipping or wearing clutch. The last clutch I had that went out in another car simply went one day and the car would not go. There were no symptoms which I noticed.

What do you guys think?

I have noticed a bit of noise from the clutch when off the gas. This noise can be eliminated by pushing in the clutch.

Throwout Bearing. Most aftermarket clutches use poor quality TOB's. It's best to use an OEM TOB if possible.

If your car feels off, I'd definitely start with a simple tuneup, primarily the ignition system. The clutch could be slipping too. Does it start slipping badly if you get it really hot (several hard launches, a lot of shifting, racing, etc.)? I had very good luck with the JWT 1-side metal disc. You can reuse your pressure plate and replace the TOB and clutch disc.

- Greg -

If your car feels off, I'd definitely start with a simple tuneup, primarily the ignition system. The clutch could be slipping too.

- Greg -

The car is running fine. It has just lost some power. Instead of slamming you back in your seat when it hits 18psi, it just goes fast. The only things on the ignition system which are not new are the spark plugs. I am using the splitfire coilpack package.

The car just feel like I am driving in mud.

How long have you been driving this car and how long did you give the clutch to break in??

Im not sure what the clutch is made of but if its not kevlar it may have been glazed...

Im not saying you suck at driving and that you cant drive stick im just saying if the clutch is rated max tq less than you are actually putting down, then it is possible that at hard launches and hard acceleration, you may have inadvertantly (sp?) glazed the clutch disc, and if you know anyhting about clutches the only material that when cooled deglazes is kevlar.... If your clutch isnt kevlar its possible you have slowly glazed your clutch and this is why t seems like you have lost power...

Just an oppinion but its based on facts....

-PSi

I run a Power FC D-Jetro. Nothing seems to be cutting out.

I have driven the car about 15,000 miles and prolly did not break the clutch in properly.

I figure I have at least 12.5% more torque than the max torque for the clutch. I looked at some more dynos and many are putting out in excess of 300 ft/lbs. This would put me more than 25% over max. Guess that is my problem.

I run a Power FC D-Jetro. Nothing seems to be cutting out.

I have driven the car about 15,000 miles and prolly did not break the clutch in properly.

I figure I have at least 12.5% more torque than the max torque for the clutch. I looked at some more dynos and many are putting out in excess of 300 ft/lbs. This would put me more than 25% over max. Guess that is my problem.

But this also tends to be dyno's

Last time i was on a dyno we babied it till 3rd and then did a gradual pull nothing stressfull on the clutch... I could be wrong in this but the symptoms your explaining are pretty consistant with the clutch and nothing else... A very little slip in the clutch will feel ike a power loss period...

-PSi

A lot of people have reported holding over 300 ft-lb with the ACT HDSS. I personally never got mine to pull that off. I had issues with it slipping under hard use and "sluggishness" like you are experiencing. I assumed it was just poor break-in, but I think the limiting factor is the disc. I ended up upgrading to the JWT 1-side metal disc. It grabbed hard and had no issues holding 300 ft-lb.

- Greg -