HybridZ

possible head swaps to L28ET

Guest mutlitrackdriftu

Guest mutlitrackdriftu

this is my first post here, but i have gotten information from here for almost 2 years. hybridz has proven to be very helpful in the past, and i hope that i can get my first question here answered as quickly as everyone else has.

anyways, i just got my hands on an L28ET F54 block, and i was wondering what kind of head swaps i could possibly do to it.

now i remember hearing somewhere that RB26 heads bolt straight onto L series motors, but i wanted your guys' verification so i could be certain. pretty much what i'm looking for is a head that can breathe well enough to make the bottom end produce power all the way up to the 9k+ range, and i think an RB26 head would be more than suited for that, so the idea of converting an L28 stroker to dohc and slapping on a RB26 head sounds really appealing to me.

if you guys have any other suggestions, i want to hear those as well.

Hey, there are no easy solutions for a DOHC head, RB series heads do not mount on to L-series engines. There have been some DOHC heads built, such as the extremely rare and extremely expensive OS Giken head, and member here 1 fast z built his own DOHC head out of a few KA24DE heads. The best solution as far as I know for the L series engines is the P90 head which your L28ET should have on it already.

you can BOLT an RB26DETT head onto an L28 block. the bolt spacing and bore spacing line up just fine. its the water and oil passages that are a PITA. also, the timing belt VS timing chaing becomes a problem.

but yeah, the KA head was one of the more viable options I could come up with. Good to see 1 fast Z got his up and running, as mine has been in the machine shop untouched since march. bastards.

You can bolt a KA head onto an L series 4 cylinder block. simple evolution really. the RB series is actually an evolution and hybrid of the l series. it shares a lot in common with the L series motors, yet it also has things in common with some of the other nissan and heavily prince influenced engines such as the S20 and FJ20.

Ugh, I have an RB25DET head and multiple L series blocks, Ive seen and done. I know it can be done. also, somewhere in 1 fast Zs shop lies my RB25DET headgasket. and somewhere in his pics or maybe my pics, I have a shot of an RB headgasket next to an L series.

I know what 1 fast Z has done as he and I worked on that head together until I moved away from phoenix 2 years ago. The KA head route was chosen because the coolant and oil passages needed VERY little modifying, the heads are PLENTIFUL and they flow REALLY well stock. I suppose one could use an RB head with all -an fittings for the oil and water, but getting an RB head is almost as difficult and costly as getting an entire RB engine.

actually, there was a rumor about a guy in japan that had an L24 with an RB20 head and converted it over to belt drive. It was only mentioned a few times in various forums Im on, but was never accompanied by a link or photos.