HybridZ

Which Maxima bracket for rear disc swap? Have seperate part #s.

I've read up on rear disc setups on this and other forums, but I have one question.

Which part number is used for the rear caliper bracket from the Maxima? I've been looking for the traditional bracket from the (I believe) 79-83 rear wheel drive Maxima. Part number 44155-04S10. While searching locally, I came across a set of brackets from the same generation Maxima, rear wheel drive, but in wagon trim. Part number 44155-N3202.

As best I can tell, either should work but the latter is available locally for $20 and they're brand new. Should I bite or am I wasting my time/money?

Thanks in advance for the help. I searched a great deal but couldn't find the answer.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120893&highlight=maxima+bracket+part+number

Typically you won't get many responses when the information is readily available already.

- Greg -

:roll: Please. Let's break this down real quick.

My original post said:

I've been looking for the traditional bracket from the (I believe) 79-83 rear wheel drive Maxima. Part number 44155-04S10.

By traditional I meant the common part number that's generally used. We all know this one works.

How do you think I found that out? Could it have been the search function which lead me to " Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars? " at http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735&highlight=toyota+brakes or the link within that post for the "Brake Upgrade Faq" at http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103767?

The simple fact that I had the original part number shows you that I know how to use the search function and have already done so. Pointing me in that direction and then regurgitating the same info and part number from my original post is redundant.

What's my problem? I found a similar set locally that I've been told will work. Before making a purchase I wanted to get a second opinion since they were a different part number. Using the search function has yielded nothing on this 2nd part number so I've turned to the forum for further direction.

If you're wondering why I've bothered with this reply, the answer is simple. I get tired of seeing high post count members posting the classic "OMG!1 Search funktion nOOb!" when the "noob" has clearly done so. A low post count on one forum doesn't mean the user has just logged on to the internet for the first time. Sometimes there are people out there that haven't inflated their post count by posting redundant info.

I'm sure this will start some sort of flame war if it's anything like the rest of the forums out there, but if it isn't maybe someone will post an answer to my question instead of wasting my time.

Again, the question is:

We all know that Nissan part number 44155-04S10 is the rear caliper bracket from the Nissan Maxima and is commonly used for the S30 rear drum to disc conversion. I've come across different set with part number 44155-N3202 from the same generation Maxima wagon. This set is unused and is available locally for $10 per side.

Is there any chance that the two parts are similar enough to work with little to no modification? If I had the rest of the conversion, I could mock it up to insure proper fitment prior to buying them, but I don't. If anyone knows, please speak up. If you don't know, why reply?

The 44155-N3202 is the early 1st generation Maxima caliper bracket:

early_maxima_bracket.jpg

To use this bracket on the S30 cars requires using the early 280ZX (1979-81) rear caliper along with it’s corresponding rear rotor. Everything lines right up. I have used this combination before on a 240Z. For $10 a bracket, it’s a deal.

People complain about the early ZX rear caliper (small pad area, 1960’s vintage Girling inspired “clamshell†design), but I had far fewer problems with the early ZX caliper when compared to the late 280ZX rear caliper (leaks, parking brake issues, etc.)

The 44155-N3202 is the early 1st generation Maxima caliper bracket:

early_maxima_bracket.jpg

People complain about the early ZX rear caliper (small pad area, 1960’s vintage Girling inspired “clamshell†design), but I had far fewer problems with the early ZX caliper when compared to the late 280ZX rear caliper (leaks, parking brake issues, etc.)

Steve, while I did go through this afew years ago I have acouple of questions about this bracket and your experience with it. I looked localling for the bracket some considered made of unobtanium (44155-04S10) and finally had some '88 Maxima rear caliper brackets modified to work with the '82-'83 caliper(simple offset welding). When I did this modification I found the outer Z hub diameter was the same size as the inner bracket diameter, but I guess due to it being a cast part and/or the outer hub of the Maxima being smaller, the cast part wouldn't bolt up to my early '74 without enlarging the brackets I.D.

Was this the case using 44155-N3202 bracket or was it a bolt on affair?

I have considered switching to either the 240SX caliper for it's newer availability or the '79-'81 280ZX caliper for it's less complicated and hassle free design.

… I finally had some '88 Maxima rear caliper brackets modified to work with the '82-'83 caliper (simple offset welding). When I did this modification I found the outer Z hub diameter was the same size as the inner bracket diameter, but I guess due to it being a cast part and/or the outer hub of the Maxima being smaller, the cast part wouldn't bolt up to my early '74 without enlarging the brackets I.D.

Was this the case using 44155-N3202 bracket or was it a bolt on affair?

The inside diameter of the 44155-N3202 bracket opening does not require any modifications to use on the 1970-78 rear strut housing. The 44155-N3202 bracket came from the 1981-82 Maxima. Being a different design than the later (1985-88) Maxima bracket, the ID of the opening is different.

I must admit I like using the 44155-N3202 bracket/early ZX caliper swap. I feel that had Nissan designed rear disc brakes for the 240Z, they would have looked very similar.

I have been meaning to add this swap info to the "Brake Mod Sticky", but I wanted to include some pics with it.

Are we to assume it's just as straight forward as the other using the other bracket setup? Anything special I should do before jumping in head 1st?

Before anyone flames me for asking a question, the swap using the 44155-N3202 hasn't been outlined in anything I've looked at. ;)

Thanks again for your help.

...Anything special I should do before jumping in head 1st?...

1. Only use good working calipers. I don’t care if they “just came off a running carâ€. Check the pad wear and I would dissemble them to check for corrosion and to make sure the parking park mechanism (lever) functions. Better yet, buy some re-man calipers.

2. Used rotors are fine to use provided they meet the minimum thickness spec and the minimum run-out spec. If you do not know what these terms mean, or if you lack the tools to measure them, then you have no business working on (much less modifying) brake systems. Excessive run out can be corrected on a brake lathe. Even new rotors (especially the flood of cheap Chinese ones) should be measured before use.

3. The bolts that attach the ZX caliper to the bracket are “specialâ€. They have a large head to help resist the side loading forces incurred during braking. Get some off a junk ZX.

4. Reduce the slack in the parking brake cable by reversing the left and right cable sides (so they crossover in the center). Check for interference with the axles.

5. Make the fluid connection between the flex brake line and the caliper with a short piece of brake tubing with the correct (male) ends. Suggestion: use spare pieces of the “S-shaped†tubing that is used with the front calipers. Be sure to locate this line so it will not flex.

#5 is is perhaps the only tricky part of the swap. If you can afford it, then it’s probably better to machine the caliper for a banjo bolt fitting.

5. Make the fluid connection between the flex brake line and the caliper with a short piece of brake tubing with the correct (male) ends. Suggestion: use spare pieces of the “S-shaped†tubing that is used with the front calipers. Be sure to locate this line so it will not flex.

#5 is is perhaps the only tricky part of the swap. If you can afford it, then it’s probably better to machine the caliper for a banjo bolt fitting.

About this step, is this different from replacing this piece with steel braided line?