HybridZ

MSD 6A schematic?

fastzcars

I tried googling but I couldn't find any info.Does anyone know where I can get a electronics schematic of a MSD a6 box? I opened my old A6 box because MSD tech sent it back and said it was not repairable? I can see some resisters and a capactor blown. I know I can fix it, but the color bars on the resisters are blown out. I need a component layout and or a schematic to know the values needed for my repair. I hope you guys can help.

You are not alone on the schematic, I just happen to have one. I had the box backwards engineered when I started into all of my changes and modifications. I paid to have the schematic made and sent to me.

After examining the unit, my recommendation is to dump it! the box does little for the engine performance, and since I am at about 600hp andthe box is falling down I now have to change it out again.

I was able to make mods to the circuits to increase the dwell duty cycle of the output. I went a little to far with the pulse width as it starts to misfire at 6800 rpms. A simple cap change to a .1 from a .047 did the trick.

The thing is this: The output is being triggered by a .1 micro farad cap to give the box the quick response. This is good, but the problem is the spark duration gets chopped to about 508 micro seconds, or about a 1/2 milli second. This is not a problem with a N/A engine, but you start running into trouble with a high boosted engiine in the 600hp range there just is not enough spark duration from all of my testing.

I have been working on this one for some time along with the Z31 ECU modifications.

If you want the schematic let me know I can make a PDF of it and send it to you.

REGARDS: Jeff

• 10 years later...