HybridZ

north star v8

i know i just want more then the stock 160hp i have.

i think those north stars stock 300hp??

i know i'm probably not going to find much for v8's that will fit in the engine bay of my 300z. i have seen 350's in 300's and it doesn't look like a good idea.

and i'm trying to stay away from fords. even though a 302 may be my best be for a engine that fits. also i like the idea of a more exotic engine then a carbed 350

if i put a north star in i would just simply swap it. no fancy rebuild.

and i have a bwt5 WC and a Chevy hydraulic bell housing i thought i might be able to utilize.

When I was researching prior to getting my LS1, and looking at different drivetrains I found a company in California that do dune buggy and off-road vehicles and the Northstar V-8 is there specialty. Do a search for Northstar or Cadillac on this site and the link should be posted. If you pursue this swap, it can be done with skill and/or deep pockets !!! Good luck.

Found it http://www.chrfab.com/ . Quite a few posts in other V8 about the Northstar V8.

When I was researching prior to getting my LS1, and looking at different drivetrains I found a company in California that do dune buggy and off-road vehicles and the Northstar V-8 is there specialty. Do a search for Northstar or Cadillac on this site and the link should be posted. If you pursue this swap, it can be done with skill and/or deep pockets !!! Good luck.

Found it http://www.chrfab.com/ . Quite a few posts in other V8 about the Northstar V8.

i don't have alot of money, but the engines are getting cheaper as they get older. i found a motor i can get for $200 and i already have a trans and bell. i can probably cobble up an adapter to the bell housing.

unless one is available and i'm fairly sure there is.

i'm not 100% set on this conversion. i'm just looking at my options.

heck if any one has a good idea for a swap to a 300z let me know i'm always open to new ideas

I'd be pretty leery of this swap. These motors are notorious for having the head bolts strip out of the block. My STS is sitting in my shop right now with this problem. It's a nice motor, but wide, parts aren't cheap, not many performance parts, and you can't get undersize bearings for them.

I really wish I could forget about fixing mine and just put the time and money into my 280/LS1, but I need my carpool car. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, there's alot of Northstar info at cadillacforums.com

northstars are way wider than any sbc, new or old. the CTS-v was suppose to have a northstar but it wouldnt fit between the shock towers. they leak oil like sivs, they are expensive to mod, and the starter is under the intake.

that was my next concern..

IIRC, the GM 60 degree V6 transmissions have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. Think GM 2.8V6, 3.1V6, etc. I hope this helps.

i just found that out, i was told that the block is more narrow then a SBC??