HybridZ

Eletromotive XDI or XDI2

texis30O

Who has converted their car over to use this system? I just had a little birdie tell me about using this system and I am wondering who has any experience with it or how they set up the system itself. I am wondering about the crank sensor and how it will work on our cars? I have found out that the system is being used by some of the Porsche guys, and there are systems out there for them (bolt-on kits) but I am not sure what is avalible for us....Is it a true bolt on type system? I would like to be able to adjust timing and spark all easily. I was spoiled with my Greddy Emanage Ultimate system on my IS 300. I saw excelent results with that on the IS 300 and would like to set up something similar on the 240Z.

Are you guys serious.....I guess that I will have to do this on my own.....

Until some body that uses that system sees this and chimes in, I'd suggest you do just that. I'd go to Electromotive's web site and read up on what they have to say about it.

I don't use that system, but do use the Tec2/3, which has the crank trigger you mentioned. Its not all that difficult to set up. You will need to mount the wheel onto your damper, then use a lap top to tune your ignition.

The only "bolt on" part you may find is from a jackass retailer in N. Hollywood Ca. (Steve Nelson @ TEP), he does a crank trigger wheel install onto our Z car dampers, and has the matching sensor bracket to go with it. This makes the trigger set up pretty much a bolt on affair....

Now when you say "jackass" you mean that in the "ignorant sense" or in a " smartass sense"......I just figured that I would keep the thread alive a little you know put a little "Toney's " on it and stuff......

I guess this will be my next big purchase after my new clutch and flywheel....Just add this to the list......I loved my Greddy Emanage Ultimate but I just sold it off of my IS 300 and I would love to have something along the same lines for this car to "update" it a little bit......

Some people have experienced some problems with Steve Nelson at Top End Performance. I bought a crank-trigger kit from him. When I installed it and found top dead center, I noticed that the crank trigger wheel was mounted one tooth wrong compared to what the instructions in the TEC3 manual says. But that's no problem, as you can adjust for that in the software. But it is important to check this if you buy a kit from him. :)

• 4 months later...

I found your thread and the same lack of information about the XDI on this forum as well. That's fine, just means very few have really been there yet. I think most Z folks are Megasquirt users by nature. That's cool, but all I wanted was spark since I'm running carbs. Anyway, I'll try to post my findings with the XDI system to hopefully help others like you. There may be 1 or 2 more out there. :wink:

The motor I bought for my car had the Electromotive trigger wheel already installed and the distributor port already plugged so I decided to try out the crank trigger thing. I bought the XDI box from Steve at TEP since he had the best price on the XDI, DFU, and sensor package. The only thing missing at that point was the crank trigger sensor mount. I bought an aluminum Porsche crank trigger mount off of eBay and fabricated the attachment to the front cover. I had to add a layer of heat shrink to the sensor so it would be snug in the Porsche mount. Some pics are attached.

For more info and bigger pics check out my website:

http://www.typeischeap.com/new.html

As you can see from my webpage, I',ve mounted the box, coils, and sensor but haven't wired everything up yet. That's planned for this weekend. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Rick

Sensor_Mount_1_thumb.jpg

Sensor_Mount_2_thumb.jpg

It is sweet that you are in the state. I will eventually crossover to the Electromotive system and get the car stronger by doing so. I am currently going through the car and removing every weak link as they pop up. With the car beint 37 years old and most of the parts on the car are from the original install back in 1979 I am having things come up as I push the car more and more. I will be watching your progress as you finish up the system. I have been suspecting that I would have to use some P-car parts to make this work.........Thanks for the update...

If the pics from Rick show the mounts for the crank trigger that TEP sells, I'd be hesitant to buy it from him. I haven't used XDI, but my friend did. He had a machinist make up a super cool looking bracket that looked similar to that one and when he got up to about 8000 rpm (L18) the bracket vibrated enough that the sensor hit the trigger wheel killing it instantly, right in the middle of an autox run. Then he made his own bracket from 3/8 plate aluminum that bolts to the driver's side of the block (what is that the AC compressor mount) and hasn't had any trouble since. I also saw Vic Sias kill his trigger on his street car at an autox once, same deal. The flexible mount vibrated at high rpms.

When it comes to crank triggers, go overkill on the mount is my advice.

I have no a/c on the car so I will fab up something to go on the block as well. I have a 70 and my markings on the crank pulley are, and a little different than other years. I will definately go overkill so that I don't watch money and parts in my rearview mirror on the ground.

• 2 years later...

Hi Texis300, I also have a TT kit on a built L28 with an XDI2 ignition. I know this thread is basically dead but maybe you are still considering it. I spoke to Tom Wyatt about 2 weeks before he died and he said a XDI2 and a diesel crank made a customers car feel as if he added 50 lbs/ft extra. Mine works great but is timed very conservatively at 36 inital and 17 at 1 bar or boost. I'm currently working on a new carb for better driveability. I'll let you know. BTW, my car put down 279hp to the ground at 15psi and a meager 5200 rpm. That should go to 325ish with a little work.