HybridZ

16G on SR20?

jbrier87

The GTI-R T28 will max out around 300 whp. The S14 T28 will be a little less than that.

I would go with the GT28RS (aka Disco Potato). Maxes out around 350 whp but its performance is very linear. Other T28's tend to be kind of spikey, especially the GTI-R T28 with its journal bearings. Keep in mind that you will pick up some lag over your T25, but you'll get a LOT more top end as a result.

- Greg -

for 350-400whp i dont think a 16g turbo will get you that anyway. Might as well go to a GT2871R turbo and have plenty of room between 350whp and 425 whp depending on the exhaust wheel you choose.

Yeah I wasn't sure what a 16G was capable of putting out that's why I wanted to ask before I bought. The gt2871R would be the best choice... a thousand bones for it is what kills me :roll: Maybe I'll just upgrade to the GTI-R T28 until I can legitimately afford the GT2871R.

Hugh on here has just a completely stock DET swap and walks over alot of stuff with the stock T25. Just a couple of days ago he walked past a modded NSX and was bumper to bumper with a 911 twin turbo until 4th gear and then it finally started slowly pulling away. Only thing that is done to it is running a standalone. I say get the EVO 16G and sell it and use that toward the swap. You'd be surprise what those things go for. As for the EVO 16G, be it from a USDM Evo or the older 16G from the Evo3's. They are pretty different. The exhaust housing is a twin scroll unit in the newer 16G and the flange is totally screwy looking. The older 16G from the EVO 3's "look" like the 14B's from our DSM 4G63's. I say stick with the stock T25 and actually try it out before looking for something bigger and better. Maybe if Hugh see's this he can chime in.

Hugh on here has just a completely stock DET swap and walks over alot of stuff with the stock T25. Just a couple of days ago he walked past a modded NSX and was bumper to bumper with a 911 twin turbo until 4th gear and then it finally started slowly pulling away. Only thing that is done to it is running a standalone.

That's pretty wild that he was keeping up with a 911 TT, that's a lot faster than I expected a stock SR20 to push me. And yeah, you're right about buying the 16G and selling it, I was planning on doing that if I couldn't use it on the SR. I think I'll keep the stock set up for a while if it really is that fast :D Thanks for the good info quattro!

Hugh on here has just a completely stock DET swap and walks over alot of stuff with the stock T25. Just a couple of days ago he walked past a modded NSX and was bumper to bumper with a 911 twin turbo until 4th gear and then it finally started slowly pulling away. Only thing that is done to it is running a standalone.

Just out of curiousity I looked up a 911 TT's specs and it runs 12.1's in the quarter and does 0-60 in 3.7 at 400 HP and 3300 lb curb weight. Just doesnt seem logical that a 220 HP (give him a lil extra with the standalone) car at 2500 lbs is doin those same numbers :hs:... I dunno I'd need to talk to Hugh I guess.

• 1 month later...

there are plenty of 16g powered dsm's making 380-400whp.... actually.. i own one.

the 16g off of the EVO is actually a very evolved piece. Many, many evo owners have gone mid 11s on the factory turbo.

To say that a 16g is an upgrade over a t25 is a gross understatement. A t25 is a worthless P.O.S.

If you can get that turbo for cheap.. you'd be very happy with it.

dd