HybridZ

Welding Class - Final Project - L Intake Manifold

Hey guys...

For my welding class project I was going to weld up my own intake manifold using "Ross Machining" DIY aluminum intake parts..

I was going to do something similar to Lonewolf Performance and was curious on what diameter runners I should choose and lengths?!

Also which plenum design is more efficient? 4x4 square.. D shape or the half round plenum?!

http://www.rossmachineracing.com

I am also considering some Suzuki GSXR throttle bodies! mmm ITBs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
...and was curious on what diameter runners I should choose and lengths?!

Welcome to the art of intake manifolds :wink:

The cross-sectional area of the runner is the single biggest influence on where torque peak falls...

1.500" ID puts the natural torque peak (of the runner) around 5540 RPM on an L28. Pretty steep for most folk.

1.450" ID... 5200 RPM

1.400" ID... 4850 RPM

1.350" ID... 4500 RPM

I wouldn't run any less than 6" length and I'd like to see more like 7"+.

Don't discount taper. General consensus is about 2.5% (in area) per inch.

Also which plenum design is more efficient? 4x4 square.. D shape or the half round plenum?!

Parallel walls are normally frowned upon... I wouldn't use 4x4 without good reason.

wow thanks Ron!

I was talking to Bryan (1 fast Z) and he was asking about RPM and what I am lookn for

The intake manifold will be matching a P90 head with stock porting.. so no port work.. with an upgraded cam and a Holset HY35 turbo.

I will be running no more then 6500 RPM.

I decided I would like to use the 38mm throttle bodies from a Suzuki GSXR!

gsxr 600? Heres a hint: 2001-2003 gsxr 750 had 42mm TB's, and the same year gsxr 600 had 38mm (which I think you are refering to).

Both had 240cc/min injectors. And Both are independently cast. both 600 and 750 (and 1000) are held together by three long rods with nuts at each end with 80mm spacing. Basically you could splice the center two TB's into the other set of four TB's and have 6 itb's with 80mm spacing. The spacing between 1-2 and 5-6 intake ports is something like 50mm or so, so you will have to angle out, because the gsxr TB's can't really be smushed together without any significant amount of machining and redesigning of the linkage.

oh no... i've given myself away...:burnout:

Careful with the ross machine racing velocity stacks as you will have to cut them down to make them work with a l28. The problem is the port spacing of the l28. This will give you trouble unless you angle the ports away from each other. This may be doable and necessary since you are thinking of ITB's as well.

Regards,

Justin

Welcome to the art of intake manifolds :wink:

The cross-sectional area of the runner is the single biggest influence on where torque peak falls...

1.500" ID puts the natural torque peak (of the runner) around 5540 RPM on an L28. Pretty steep for most folk.

1.450" ID... 5200 RPM

1.400" ID... 4850 RPM

1.350" ID... 4500 RPM

I wouldn't run any less than 6" length and I'd like to see more like 7"+.

Don't discount taper. General consensus is about 2.5% (in area) per inch.

Parallel walls are normally frowned upon... I wouldn't use 4x4 without good reason.

Ron I'm just curious as to how you are calculating those diameters/torque peak relations. I would like to know what changes these numbers, and how does it apply to ITB setups vs. plenum setups.

• Administrators
Ron I'm just curious as to how you are calculating those diameters/torque peak relations. I would like to know what changes these numbers, and how does it apply to ITB setups vs. plenum setups.

Oliver,

The formula comes from a successful engine builder/tuner. I've also taken the time to plug in a few known manifolds and its always been within 2% of actual. So far, the formula confirms that the single largest influence on where the peak falls, is the area of the runner itself. The remaining parameters (TB, plenum size, configuration, etc) will influence the peak to a lesser degree, but can have a substantial impact on either side of the peak (as well as distribution and response)... the formula can't account for 'under the curve'.

Unfortunately, I don't feel at liberty to disclose the math. However I'd be more than happy to run a few scenarios for you.

Provide the following...

Displacement (CID)

Number of Cylinder's

Intake Dia.

Alrighty..

Intake flange purchased....

One set of Suzuki GSXR 600 throttle bodies... (ill buy the other set in a few)

All I need is some piping for the runners.. some .050 guage aluminum to make my pressure box.. and some flange material for the box.

=) should start scooting along quickly.

Ron.. what diameter would you recommend for my setup?!

Schneider cam with .488 valve lift and a 260 duration

The intake manifold will be matching a P90 head with stock porting.. so no port work.. a Holset HY35 turbo.

I will be running no more then 6500 RPM.

Throttle bodies are 38mm..

• Administrators
... some .050 guage aluminum to make my pressure box..

.050" won't cut it. I wouldn't boost a plenum with anything less than .125" unless your plenum shape and size is conducive to it.

Ron.. what diameter would you recommend for my setup?!

Tapering nicely from 38mm down to 1.375" (at the head) should work well... a fair compromise between response and total power.

Prolax...that plenum kit you show there is the same as the one i posted on the RB forums in regards to making your own plenum.

However, if it's going on an L engine... as someone mentioned; it will hit the hood due to it's throttle body position.

The better idea would be to go with the 1J or 2JZ intakes that the same fellow on ebay sells, as the intake is on the same side as the L, and it would point either forward or downward, and might give you a better clearance for what you're trying to achieve.

go git'm!