HybridZ

Frankenstein Guitar project. Diversion #4267

Z-TARD

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you at tone wise on this project? I did not see what humbucker you used, original PAF? No offense but "the I ended up removing all of the copper wire and rewinding by hand with copper colored thread....." looks cheesy to the trained eye. Paint and details looks good!

Where are you at tone wise on this project? I did not see what humbucker you used, original PAF? No offense but "the I ended up removing all of the copper wire and rewinding by hand with copper colored thread....." looks cheesy to the trained eye. Paint and details looks good!

Tonewise I am definitely calling this one a done deal. I'm using a cheap $39.00 GFS Vintage '59 pickup, and combined with the ash body it pretty much nails the early VH tone, at least to my ears. The original PAF's had Alnico II's, and this one has an Alnico V magnet, How much difference this actually makes is hard to say. The neck pickup of course is non functioning, so the copper thread is only for looks. It actually looks better in person than in the picture, the pixeling effect makes the stands of thread really stand out. The thought of rewinding that pickup with ultra thin and easily broken 42 gauge copper wire just didn't sound like fun to me.

I'm actually thinking of making a new body for the guitar. Since I've finished it I've had a lot of time to compare it to pics of the original, and I can see that a lot of my stripes are off by a fair amount. The quarter still bugs me, that it doesn't sit over the black stripe the way it should. The white color is also too bright, I should have used more of an antique looking white with a slight yellowish tint. I also should have used a sealer coat before painting black. The black layer is way to thick because I built it up enough to hide most of the wood grain. The reliced areas look weird to me now because of this. Will it be worth it to tear it apart and start a new body? Almost assuredly not. Will I do it anyway because it's nagging in the back of my mind? It's almost inevitable at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been seriously eyeballing the new 5150 III amp, it sounds like a vast improvement over the Peavey 5150's whch were already great amps. Like nearly everything else with the EVH logo on it though, I just can't get over the sticker shock. Currently going for $3099 at Musicians Friend

502234.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-5150-III-HD-and-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481504

Meh, I like the new amp, but I'm not sure I like it's price.

It sounds more like the old EVH tone than the 5150 amps did, but the origonal first line 5150 were such amazing amps in their own right. The second series were good, but lost some of their edge. The new 6505 sounds increadible, but it's still not the same. It's like it's got more muscle than any of the others, but less balls.

The fender amps sound like a EVH amp should. It sounds like a marshall at 11, but a bit better. Pretty damn good preamp design if you ask me. Still not as mean sounding as the origonal 5150 though, which is an amp I love.

Though.... sadly I couldn't own any of these amps unless I was going to have 3+ 100 watt heads in my arsinal. I'm not EVH, I don't want his tone, I'm not looking for his tone. My hands are my hands, and I refuse to go on the wild goose chase that many players seem to enjoy. I want to carve my own tone into history, not someone elses. Just my thought on that.

But that being said, I love EVH tone and think it's a worthwhile pursuit for many. A man to be respected for sure.

Love your work btw. I think you're being more anal about the perfect than most ever are. That's a good thing, just learn how to love it and the process as well, otherwise you might never be happy with it.

I'm not EVH, I don't want his tone, I'm not looking for his tone. My hands are my hands, and I refuse to go on the wild goose chase that many players seem to enjoy. I want to carve my own tone into history, not someone elses. Just my thought on that.

Ya, there were already 1000 guys trying to do that on Sunset Strip back in 1985. If I was trying to copy someone's tone, it'd be Zakk anyway.

Ya, there were already 1000 guys trying to do that on Sunset Strip back in 1985. If I was trying to copy someone's tone, it'd be Zakk anyway.

Zakk has awesome tone, I don't think anyone has perfected the "Wall Of Sound" the way he has. It's nice to have the capablity to evoke a decent EVH tone, some days are just EVH days, ya know? No matter what you wanna play, the only thing that comes out is EVH sounding chords and lots of tapped harmonics and right hand hammer on's. There are a lot of other tones I like as well, most of which are equally as hard to emulate. Satriani has quite an array of amazing tones. If I were to get just one amp, it would probably be the JSX because it seems so versatile, and is a lot less than the 5150 III. Being the cheap bastard I am, I'll probably end up getting the close copy of it made by Bugera/Behringer:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&DepartmentID=1&STRID=25736&CategorySubID=133&CategoryID=133&BrandID=2293&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

EWWWWW, PLEASE don't buy a behringer.

Would you buy a hyundai or some other korean or chinese made car? (though I must admit hyundai has gotten a lot better in recent years, but that's not the point, think OLD hyundai)

If you want something high gain but still cheap there are other options.

Try playing the peavey windsor, it's a lot of fun for $300.

There's also the carvin V3, which I'd planned on buying, but now own a new car. It's $900 for the head and I'd compare it to the other high gain monsters like bogner, diezel, engl and the likes.

Tube amps do NOT do well when they're made cheaply out of inferior components. When a company like peavey is charging over 1k for an amp, you know it's going to be hard to beat that price for that well made of an amp. They make tons of their stuff in house, and have some of the best assemly lines in the guitar industry. The price is because of the components put into it, not just how much research or time they put into it.

A 10k+ trainwreak amp is worth three times as much parted out as other amps because the stuff it's made out of it better built and harder to find, down to the resistors and capasitors.

Behringer will be using the same crap you see at radioshack. Sure the amp might function, even be reliable if you're lucky, but it will NOT sound the same in any way. I'd doubt it even sounding good.

• 1 year later...
I noticed that too, even as I was taping it up I was thinking to myself "Hmmm, there should be more space between these...." I think that side of the body kind of has the stripes compressed together a little too tightly because of the misplacement of the diagonal stripe on the front. Thats the worst thing about trying to copy one of these exactly: One strip in the wrong location screws up pretty much every other strip you add after it. Oh well :)

I got it put back together today an was able to play it a little. I added some longer spacers under the pickup to bring it closer to the strings than it was before, and it toally woke up a pickup that previously sounded kinda weak. This thing is a beast now, pinch harmonics are super easy, and the tone is total early VH. I need to work on the amp side a bit to refine the tone a bit more, but the guitar is definitely there now.

I got the 3 way switch in the mail today too, and found it wasn't the one I wanted after all. The ebay add only showed the backside of the switch, which looks just like the backside of a vintage CRL switch like the one in the real Frankenstein guitar. The front side of the switch though, which is the part you can see in the control cavity, looks completely different than the CRL switch. So I ordered the right switch, and will play the hell out of this thing until it shows up.

More pics:

Frankenback.jpg

Frankenfront1.jpeg

Frankenass.jpg

Frangleshot.jpg

it looks awesome....congrats!

EWWWWW, PLEASE don't buy a behringer.

Would you buy a hyundai or some other korean or chinese made car? (though I must admit hyundai has gotten a lot better in recent years, but that's not the point, think OLD hyundai)

If you want something high gain but still cheap there are other options.

Try playing the peavey windsor, it's a lot of fun for $300.

There's also the carvin V3, which I'd planned on buying, but now own a new car. It's $900 for the head and I'd compare it to the other high gain monsters like bogner, diezel, engl and the likes.

Tube amps do NOT do well when they're made cheaply out of inferior components. When a company like peavey is charging over 1k for an amp, you know it's going to be hard to beat that price for that well made of an amp. They make tons of their stuff in house, and have some of the best assemly lines in the guitar industry. The price is because of the components put into it, not just how much research or time they put into it.

A 10k+ trainwreak amp is worth three times as much parted out as other amps because the stuff it's made out of it better built and harder to find, down to the resistors and capasitors.

Behringer will be using the same crap you see at radioshack. Sure the amp might function, even be reliable if you're lucky, but it will NOT sound the same in any way. I'd doubt it even sounding good.

Well i can't speak anything about Behringer Guitar amps but my Ultrabass BX4500 head does amazing for my bass, nice fat tone but enough treble to cut threw crazy drummers and guitar players alike! I run it threw a 4x10" Hartke Top with a 15" Ross (by Peavey) bottom and it sounds amazing when i want to get crazy sub-harmonics going i hit the ultra bass button and hammer away :icon6: it works amazing and i like how i can get the tone uniquely shaped depending on my mood.

If your gonna bust out the tubes there is only one choice.... MESA BOOGIE!!!!!! the Mark IV tube is one of the greatest amps ever. My dad's has the Black Shadow speaker in it and weighs a small ton (considering its small as hell) and nothing gets sustain or pitch (or is it pinch?) harmonics like it and the clean is Rich and twangy and the lead is fat and thick. Not a Crunch Crunch Crunch but its unique enough not to sound like every Line 6 out there, lol. Nothing against Line 6 or nothin though. Peaveys are good chit man my dad's back up is my Fender Champion 100 and a Peavey Rage 50 and that Rage kicks it for a little tiny punky amp!

I just say to hell what anyone else plays, play it for yourself and see if you dig it and if you don't like it forget it and move on. Or if you only like part of it do the true HybridZ thing and Chop that bitch up and grab what you need but thats just my $0.02 on the matter. lol. Nice to know i'm not the only Musician on HybridZ PEACE OUT PPL!!!

~J

nice job on the replica! i love me a good ol fender strat with the fender silver single coils and a paf humbucker down by the bridge. and like Zerocell5688 said, the behringer amp he's got kicks some serious butt. i personally have an ibanez rg series running through a 15w crate, but love getting my hands on Zerocell5688's dad's strat running through the mesa boogie. good to see there's more gitfiddle players out here in the z world. must be a personality thing...

nice job on the replica! i love me a good ol fender strat with the fender silver single coils and a paf humbucker down by the bridge. and like Zerocell5688 said, the behringer amp he's got kicks some serious butt. i personally have an ibanez rg series running through a 15w crate, but love getting my hands on Zerocell5688's dad's strat running through the mesa boogie. good to see there's more gitfiddle players out here in the z world. must be a personality thing...

LOL Z's and Gee-Tars what more do you need in the world :icon28:! Could you imagine the Fairlady painted up like a EVH Guitar! Wicked lets do it with your Camaro 280zx80!!!

~J

Wow, talk about epic resurrection.

And though the gear journey is an ever evolving one, I still stand by one statement, play what YOU like, not what someone else likes or wants. There are many pieces of gear I hate, but it has nothing to do with brand bias or what I've heard, but rather personal experience. I receive quite a bit of gear to review because my opinion in that realm is somewhat valued, but that being said even I, an experienced reviewer, can't tell people what they'll like. I can only point them in the right direction.

Shameless plug - Z cars and Gee-tars STILL go wonderfully together (old pic, sorry)

485708032CDWiRp_ph.jpg

And in true hybridz fashion I'm not making my own and hot rodding my own gear.

Wow, talk about epic resurrection.

And though the gear journey is an ever evolving one, I still stand by one statement, play what YOU like, not what someone else likes or wants. There are many pieces of gear I hate, but it has nothing to do with brand bias or what I've heard, but rather personal experience. I receive quite a bit of gear to review because my opinion in that realm is somewhat valued, but that being said even I, an experienced reviewer, can't tell people what they'll like. I can only point them in the right direction.

Shameless plug - Z cars and Gee-tars STILL go wonderfully together (old pic, sorry)

485708032CDWiRp_ph.jpg

And in true hybridz fashion I'm not making my own and hot rodding my own gear.

is that a PRS your Playing or is that a Schecter? lol Z-cars and Gee-Tars man its a beautiful world when you have both! like that Joe Walsh Song "Lifes been Good to me So Far" thats a damn purty Gee-tar you got there man and thats a damn purty Z too lol

~J

Actually it's a samick. I hadn't ever played a schecter that I liked until I recently found a used one that played like butter, so I bought it!

That samick is still my main axe, though I've redone the electronics a couple of times. Currently it has a gibson tony iommi in the neck and a duncan JB distortion (i think) in the bridge. Volume pot is push pull for coil tapping, and tone pot is push pull for phase.

Actually it's a samick. I hadn't ever played a schecter that I liked until I recently found a used one that played like butter, so I bought it!

That samick is still my main axe, though I've redone the electronics a couple of times. Currently it has a gibson tony iommi in the neck and a duncan JB distortion (i think) in the bridge. Volume pot is push pull for coil tapping, and tone pot is push pull for phase.

SAMICK!!!! I thought thats what is was (lol i said schecter) My First 5-string was a Samick Artist Series Gold-Top killer little bass till i warped the neck on it all retarded. Thats when i got ma Ibanez Soundgear :rockon: Samick puts out some good product man and thats awesome you've rewired the whole thing. I put a 5 way switch on mine so i can pick between bridge or neck pickups (wtf on a bass?) with a single tone and single volume so i can control my "Vallium" lol which is something i rarely see bassists do its always MOAR TREBLE MOAR BASS MOAR VOLUME!!! I like dynamics it makes things more interesting :mrgreen:

~J