HybridZ

arc welding rod info

grumpyvette

"THE TORCH"

WAS NICE ENOUGHT TO POST THIS WELDING ROD INFO

Arc welding electrodes are identified using the A.W.S, (American Welding Society) numbering system and are made in sizes from 1/16 to 5/16 . An The E6011 is not a complete number. It also needs a diameter designation such as "1/8" E6011 electrode."

The rid (electrode) is 1/8" in diameter

The "E" stands for arc welding electrode.

Next will be either a 4 or 5 digit number stamped on the electrode. The first two numbers of a 4 digit number and the first 3 digits of a 5 digit number indicate the minimum tensile strength (in thousands of pounds per square inch) of the weld that the rod will produce, stress relieved. Examples would be as follows:

E60xx would have a tensile strength of 60,000 psi. E110XX would be 110,000 psi

The next to last digit indicates the position the electrode can be used in.

1. Exx1x is for use in all positions

2. Exx2x is for use in flat and horizontal positions

3. Exx3x is for flat welding

The last two digits together, indicate the type of coating on the electrode and the welding current the electrode can be used with. Such as DC straight, (DC -) DC reverse (DC+) or A.C.

* Exx10 DC+ (DC reverse or DCRP) electrode positive.

* Exx11 AC or DC- (DC straight or DCSP) electrode negative.

* Exx12 AC or DC-

* Exx13 AC, DC- or DC+

* Exx14 AC, DC- or DC+

* Exx15 DC+

* Exx16 AC or DC+

* Exx18 AC, DC- or DC+

* Exx20 AC ,DC- or DC+

* Exx24 AC, DC- or DC+

* Exx2711 AC, DC- or DC+

* Exx2811 AC or DC+

So the E6011 has a tensile strength of 60,000psi, can be used in any position and can be used in either AC ot DC- welding. Basically it is a middle of the road welding rod. that can be used by less experienced welders in a variety od situations since it produces a deep penetrating weld and works well on dirty,rusted, or painted metals. A similar rod is the E6010. It produces similar results but can only be used with DC+ or DCRP (DC Reversed Polarity)

Ive been welding for 35 plus years and always asked for and got advice from the local MILLER DEALER,after explaining the welder to be used, the application, etc,then purchased the suggested rods IN BULK packs and never bothered to as what the numbers ment....

never said I was a GREAT weldor, but Ive welded lots of stuff over the years,thats still in use without it breaking,and while its not always the best looking job it STAYS WELDED ...IM working on the LOOKS PART, and the recent MILLER 330 AMP TIG purchase HELPS

That 6011 rod covers a lot of situations and a lot of deficiencies.... but I have a couple of old-timers around here that apparently prefer 1109. Threw me for a loop.. because I am not a welding old-timer, either in application or sales. One of my co-workers rectified my ignorance by pulling out a 6011 rod, showing me the stamped ID on the holder end, then turning it over and handing it to the customer. Voila... 1109 rod. Consider this young whipper-snapper put in his place. = )

• 12 years later...